The Byzantine Forum
Newest Members
Annapolis Melkites, Daniel Hoseiny, PaulV, ungvar1900, Donna Zoll
5,993 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
2 members (griego catolico, Fr. Al), 341 guests, and 40 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Photos
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
by orthodoxsinner2, September 30
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
by Veronica.H, April 24
Byzantine Catholic Outreach of Iowa
Exterior of Holy Angels Byzantine Catholic Parish
Church of St Cyril of Turau & All Patron Saints of Belarus
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics35,393
Posts416,749
Members5,993
Most Online3,380
Dec 29th, 2019
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#381675 06/16/12 05:41 PM
M
OP Offline
M
In case anyone is interested, the Maronite Synod has elected 5 new bishops. http://www.gcatholic.com

S
S
What always strikes me, when these kinda things happen, is how seldom one hears a petition at Divine Liturgy or Mass: "for an increase in vocations to the episcopacy, let us pray to the Lord."

The reason for that being a simple theological one: a little bit of bishop goes a long way.

Global Moderator
Global Moderator
May God grant many years to the Bishops-elect!

"One day all our ethnic traits ... will have disappeared. Time itself is seeing to this. And so we can not think of our communities as ethnic parishes, ... unless we wish to assure the death of our community."
A
A

M
OP Offline
M
Isn't the venue just lovely? crazy It probably won't come as much of a surprise that I refer to it as the "Bkerke Bowl" smirk

And there's not a beard in the bunch. Even the OAM (who wore a beard for years) seems to have shaved it. Ah well ... frown

Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Originally Posted by malphono
Isn't the venue just lovely? crazy It probably won't come as much of a surprise that I refer to it as the "Bkerke Bowl" smirk

malphono, my brother,

I admit to having seen the pics last night and presuming that the amphitheater had been temporarily erected for the occasion - no such luck, huh? What is it used for in between episcopal ordinations?

And there's not a beard in the bunch. Even the OAM (who wore a beard for years) seems to have shaved it. Ah well ... frown

I don't remember from the initial posting, but the OAM bishop (or the one whom I presume to be the OAM bishop) looks relatively young. What's his age?

Many years,

Neil

"One day all our ethnic traits ... will have disappeared. Time itself is seeing to this. And so we can not think of our communities as ethnic parishes, ... unless we wish to assure the death of our community."
M
OP Offline
M
Originally Posted by Irish Melkite

malphono, my brother,

I admit to having seen the pics last night and presuming that the amphitheater had been temporarily erected for the occasion - no such luck, huh? What is it used for in between episcopal ordinations?

Wouldst that it were temporary, but alas, the "Bowl" has been there for several years. It was the site of the enthronement of the Patriarch in 2011 and is s used for all sorts of other events. frown

I don't remember from the initial posting, but the OAM bishop (or the one whom I presume to be the OAM bishop) looks relatively young. What's his age?

Mar Mousa El-Hage is, I believe, 59 yo. See photo #7. He's the tall guy, 2nd from the right.

Do the Maronites have a custom similar to some Syriacs and Malankara, where the deacon/Priest-candidate will be clean shaven for the day of his priestly ordination - then not shave again? Maybe this is the case for episcopal ordination as well in Maronite custom?

Question:

I've studied that Maronites belong liturgically to the West Syriac family, but it looks East Syriac in these photos - where do the Maronites stand?

E
E
Those the Maronites use the West-Syriac script (Serto), I believe that their liturgical roots are largely East Syriac.

Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Michael, my brother,

The Maronite Divine Liturgy is West Syrian in origins but has accrued both East Syrian and Latin aspects over time. Their Qurbono is a variant on the Liturgy of St James as served by the Syriacs.

Many years,

Neil

M
OP Offline
M
The liturgical patrimony of all the Syriac Churches, both Eastern & Western, is shared and has its original roots in Edessa. In the Early centuries, of course, the West Syriac, having developed within the bounds of the Roman Empire, underwent its development in Antioch, yet certain common elements pointing to those Edessene roots remained and still do, particularly in certain local usages. It's true that the Maronite usage is essentially West Syriac but as it happens, we retained a bit more from Edessa than did Antioch itself. Perhaps the best example of this is the Anaphora of Peter III (often called "Sharrar" ("confirm") after its first word), which is unique among the 72+ West Syriac anaphorae in that its structure is very similar to that of Addai & Mari.

M
OP Offline
M
Originally Posted by Michael_Thoma
Do the Maronites have a custom similar to some Syriacs and Malankara, where the deacon/Priest-candidate will be clean shaven for the day of his priestly ordination - then not shave again? Maybe this is the case for episcopal ordination as well in Maronite custom?

No, not that I've ever heard tell.

Global Moderator
Global Moderator
malphono,

Who is the new bishop with the distinctive vesture and what is its significance?

Many years,

Neil

M
OP Offline
M
Who is the new bishop with the distinctive vesture and what is its significance?

You mean the one on the left wearing the red-trimmed phaino?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
The Byzantine Forum provides message boards for discussions focusing on Eastern Christianity (though discussions of other topics are welcome). The views expressed herein are those of the participants and may or may not reflect the teachings of the Byzantine Catholic or any other Church. The Byzantine Forum and the www.byzcath.org site exist to help build up the Church but are unofficial, have no connection with any Church entity, and should not be looked to as a source for official information for any Church. All posts become property of byzcath.org. Contents copyright - 1996-2024 (Forum 1998-2023). All rights reserved.