The Byzantine Forum
Newest Members
Galumph, Leon_C, Rocco, Hvizsgyak, P.W.
5,984 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
1 members (1 invisible), 246 guests, and 50 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Photos
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
by orthodoxsinner2, September 30
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
by Veronica.H, April 24
Byzantine Catholic Outreach of Iowa
Exterior of Holy Angels Byzantine Catholic Parish
Church of St Cyril of Turau & All Patron Saints of Belarus
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics35,389
Posts416,722
Members5,984
Most Online3,380
Dec 29th, 2019
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
C
C
I would have to say this is the least appealing church I have ever seen. Just look up.

http://www.groca.org/?page_id=2500

Last edited by chadrook; 08/15/12 05:09 PM.
S
S
The Greeks had a flirtation with Church in the Round back in the 1970s. St. Katherine's in Falls Church, VA, is one example of this unfortunate genre. I think it proves pretty decisively that Byzantine worship is inextricably tied to Byzantine- and Byzantine-derived architecture. Hagia Sophia casts a very long shadow.

C
C
Originally Posted by chadrook
I would have to say this is the least appealing church I have ever seen. Just look up.

http://www.groca.org/?page_id=2500

Personally, I don't find the architecture or the iconostas unusual. However, the icons (which have been less-than-affectionately called "cave paintings" by more than one person) are what make the whole space seem strange. Imagine that same interior with good iconography--wow!

Fr. David

I don't mind it that much, nor do I mind the church that much...art is definitely subjective. I love the use of the gold, and the modern rendition of the classical chandeliers of Mt. Athos and Aghia Sophia in Constantinople.

However, I do not like the particular rendition of Christ's face on the dome..but maybe that is just me.

Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Agreeing with Father David, I don't find the temple itself objectionable (though my preference isn't for a circular design) but the iconography does nothing for me. I agree with Alice as to the rendition of Christ's face but would extend the same comment to the majority of the Apostles surrounding it - almost all (save one, as I recollect) reflect very similar, distorted (and not merely 'unworldly' or 'unrealistic' as might be typically expected) facial expressions.

Many years,

Neil

"One day all our ethnic traits ... will have disappeared. Time itself is seeing to this. And so we can not think of our communities as ethnic parishes, ... unless we wish to assure the death of our community."
OP Offline
I actually think that last church is kind of cool looking, for lack of a better way of expressing myself at the moment. I suppose I prefer something more traditional for the most part, but I notice that when Byzantine worship spaces combine modern architecture with astounding and bold magnifications of traditional elements, as this church does, some amazing effects can be achieved.

I have noticed, too, that, for the most part, Byzantine/Orthodox churches have more success with modern church architecture and design than do Roman Catholic churches. Roman Catholic churches usually end up doing modern remarkably badly. This may be precisely because Byzantine churches adorn their modern designs with traditional art, whereas Western churches usually end up modernizing their art, also, to match the modern architecture.

I've been to an Antiochian Orthodox church, locally, that is of the "in-the-round" design and clearly built in the 60s or 70s. If it were a Roman Catholic Church it would be dismal. But being an Eastern church, the interior is wholly adorned with traditional iconography, cleverly harmonized with the design of the interior, including a handsome iconostasis. The interior enjoys something of a timeless atmosphere, therefore, despite the otherwise dated architectural design of the place.

OP Offline
Just when you think you've seen it all: a Roman Catholic iconostasis...with statues...

http://ad-orientem.blogspot.com/2010/09/roman-catholic-iconostasis.html

OP Offline

C
C
Here is another one for the list:

http://3oko.com.ua/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/ikonostas2.jpg

I want to know what you do if the power goes out!

Fr. David

O
O
Pray ?

biggrin

A bit busy, but impressive.

[Linked Image]

Refectory Church at Pechersky Lavra, Kiev

[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by griego catolico
Holy Resurrection Orthodox Church in Cleveland, Ohio, has an iconostasis made entirely of Monastery Icons [monasteryicons.com].

Here it is as shown in its catalog:

Page 50 [monasteryicons.com]
Page 51 [monasteryicons.com]

Looks like I'll have to give that one a visit if I'm ever out and about again.

Anyway, I was watching on YouTube. It looks like there's what looks like a temporary iconostas at a Chinese UGCC. Not entirely sure. If only I could learn Cantonese, this wouldn't be too hard for me to pick up on. I'm assuming this is a new Church in that part of the world?

Also, it's something that they have girls serving at the altar, too. That kind of goes against tradition.

Last edited by 8IronBob; 10/29/12 12:16 AM.
O
O
oh dear frown Where's Ed when you want him frown

My understanding of this , from this video is that the parish mentioned is in fact RC and was hosting this Liturgy which was served by Fr Kenez , visiting from Australia.

The Iconostasis is clearly a set of moveable screens , and I don't expect they are in use normally in this Church - well not as an Iconostasis anyway.

Girls servers - yes - vested in albs which they probably are, when serving at Mass.

Come on - how many Eastern Catholics are there in Hong Kong ?

Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  theophan 

Link Copied to Clipboard
The Byzantine Forum provides message boards for discussions focusing on Eastern Christianity (though discussions of other topics are welcome). The views expressed herein are those of the participants and may or may not reflect the teachings of the Byzantine Catholic or any other Church. The Byzantine Forum and the www.byzcath.org site exist to help build up the Church but are unofficial, have no connection with any Church entity, and should not be looked to as a source for official information for any Church. All posts become property of byzcath.org. Contents copyright - 1996-2024 (Forum 1998-2023). All rights reserved.