The Byzantine Forum
Newest Members
Galumph, Leon_C, Rocco, Hvizsgyak, P.W.
5,984 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 456 guests, and 39 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Photos
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
by orthodoxsinner2, September 30
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
by Veronica.H, April 24
Byzantine Catholic Outreach of Iowa
Exterior of Holy Angels Byzantine Catholic Parish
Church of St Cyril of Turau & All Patron Saints of Belarus
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics35,389
Posts416,722
Members5,984
Most Online3,380
Dec 29th, 2019
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
L
L
I think a fine of 50 dollars would be a suitable sentence.

S
S
That's 1604 rubles.

L
L
Ok, so make it 1500 rubles, for round numbers. A fine like that would adequately reflect the seriousness of the crime, in my opinion.

It would be slightly less than what a homeowner in my home town would be charged for not keeping the sidewalk ice free, something which might actually cause personal injury.

S
S
People here who are so quick to accept the official Russian government line on this are remarkably naive regarding government dominance of the news media in Russia.

Those who think these women got a fair trial no little of the Russian "justice" system (I am reminded of the 1943 movie Mission to Moscow, based on the book by U.S. Ambassador to the Soviet Union Joseph Davies; sitting in at the conclusion of Stalin's show trials in 1937, Walther Huston (playing Davies) remarks casually, "Well, they all confessed. That proves they were guilty").

Those who think two years hard labor is a light sentence no nothing of Russian prisons.

R
Rybak Offline OP
OP Offline
R
An excerpt from the Mercouris Blog [mercouris.wordpress.com] , linked to earlier:

The “punk prayer” was an obscene parody of the act of Christian worship carried out using excremental language in Russian Orthodoxy’s most important Church in an area just before the sanctuary which contains the Altar access to which is prohibited to all except members of the priesthood. The “punk prayer” contained abuse of the Patriarch, the leader of the Russian Church, calling him a “bitch” (suka) and accusing him of believing in Putin rather than God. The “punk prayer” was carefully planned, the location having obviously been chosen in advance for maximum effect and the form of the “punk prayer” adapted to mimic the order of the Christian service starting with the making of the sign of the cross followed by an obscene prayer to the Virgin (the Theotokos) and ending with a scatological parody of the Sanctus. The “punk prayer” was performed by three young women dressed in skimpy and brightly coloured clothing with bare arms the wearing of which is prohibited in a Russian Orthodox Christian Church and was accompanied by dance and music of a sort also prohibited in a Russian Orthodox Christian Church. The “punk prayer” used offensive and coarse language of a sort that is also prohibited in a Russian Orthodox Church and which Russian Orthodox Christians would be expected to find grossly disrespectful in a house of God. The whole performance was filmed presumably by other members of the group and the film possibly with words added was then uploaded onto YouTube.

Stop being so "churchy", and focus on what they are saying. Unless, of course, you like Patriarch Kiril believe that "Vladimir Putin is a gift from God"?

Sorry, I will not stop being so 'churchy' in order to please you..my 'churchiness' happens to sit well with my spiritual closeness to God, and my personal salvation means alot more to me than compromising my beliefs (such as seeing the acts of these misguided girls in the Cathedral as blasphemous and scandalously improper) to please others.

Since you mention it, actually I do infact agree with Patriarch Kiril on his assesment of Vladimir Putin--any leader that helps restore Christianity to an atheist or pagan world is indeed a gift from God (at the particular time), as we 'churchy' individuals tend to see the hand of God and the Divine in all things. It is the very reason the 'churchy' folk in my faith have given such honour to Constantine the Emperor; for he too was a 'gift from God' at that particular time in history (despite his personal shortcomings) after Christians had suffered periods of great persecution in the Roman Empire.

C
C
Stuart. Get off of your high and mighty intellectual high horse and shove it! Holy fools, what a load of crap ! Did they go into the churches and utter the filth that these girls did defiling a holy place? I care not if I am tossed off this board and I make no apologies to you or anyone else who holds your views. Why don't you talk about the corruption in our society in the west as well as the stench in your own church?

Viking

AthanasiusTheLesser
AthanasiusTheLesser
Originally Posted by Converted Viking
Stuart. Get off of your high and mighty intellectual high horse and shove it! Holy fools, what a load of crap ! Did they go into the churches and utter the filth that these girls did defiling a holy place? I care not if I am tossed off this board and I make no apologies to you or anyone else who holds your views. Why don't you talk about the corruption in our society in the west as well as the stench in your own church?

Viking

Who's on a "high horse" now?

B
B
Stay off of high horses. It's a long way down when you fall. :-)

S
S
Did they go into the churches and utter the filth that these girls did defiling a holy place?

Yes, they did. Next question?

S
S
Since you mention it, actually I do infact agree with Patriarch Kiril on his assesment of Vladimir Putin--any leader that helps restore Christianity to an atheist or pagan world is indeed a gift from God (at the particular time), as we 'churchy' individuals tend to see the hand of God and the Divine in all things. It is the very reason the 'churchy' folk in my faith have given such honour to Constantine the Emperor; for he too was a 'gift from God' at that particular time in history (despite his personal shortcomings) after Christians had suffered periods of great persecution in the Roman Empire.

I suggest you pay less attention to carefully staged photo ops by Putin and his minions, and more attention to the substance of what is happening in Russia. Restoring Christianity? Putin? Please--the man is a thug, a thief, a murderer, overseeing an increasingly autocratic and kleptocratic state. You think there is a renaissance of Orthodoxy in Russia today?

To quote a Russian Orthodox nun, for most people in Russia, Orthodoxy is a fashion statement--they know nothing of the Tradition, are utterly ignorant of their faith. This is reinforced by a recent survey that found a third of all respondents who identified themselves as Orthodox also said they don't believe in God.

Putin is pushing Russia back into the dark place from which it just recently emerged. Patriarch Kiril, continuing down the path established by his predecessor Alexei II (a decorated colonel of the KGB). They have not only dissipated whatever moral authority the Church might have accrued in the days after the fall of the Soviet Union, by their sycophantic attitude towards Putin they are making the Church an object of contempt.

They have profited materially by their close association with Putin, and maybe garnered a little prestige along the way--but their star is harnessed to Putin's, and his star is setting fast. Unless the Russian Church can regain an independent voice, when Putin goes down, the Church goes down, too. And that would be a tragedy.

S
S
By the way, I know the Emperor Constantine. Constantine is a friend of mine. Vladimir Putin is no Constantine.

S
S
Why don't you talk about the corruption in our society in the west as well as the stench in your own church?

When have I not? I, too, am a Holy Fool, and no respecter of persons or institutions.

This still picture from the video puts it in perspective:
http://cdn.stereogum.com/files/2012/08/Pussy-Riot-608x504.jpg

C
C
Originally Posted by StuartK
Why don't you talk about the corruption in our society in the west as well as the stench in your own church?

When have I not? I, too, am a Holy Fool, and no respecter of persons or institutions.

Really? Please enlighten me.

Viking

Page 2 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  Irish Melkite, theophan 

Link Copied to Clipboard
The Byzantine Forum provides message boards for discussions focusing on Eastern Christianity (though discussions of other topics are welcome). The views expressed herein are those of the participants and may or may not reflect the teachings of the Byzantine Catholic or any other Church. The Byzantine Forum and the www.byzcath.org site exist to help build up the Church but are unofficial, have no connection with any Church entity, and should not be looked to as a source for official information for any Church. All posts become property of byzcath.org. Contents copyright - 1996-2024 (Forum 1998-2023). All rights reserved.