The Byzantine Forum
Newest Members
Galumph, Leon_C, Rocco, Hvizsgyak, P.W.
5,984 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 456 guests, and 39 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Photos
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
by orthodoxsinner2, September 30
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
by Veronica.H, April 24
Byzantine Catholic Outreach of Iowa
Exterior of Holy Angels Byzantine Catholic Parish
Church of St Cyril of Turau & All Patron Saints of Belarus
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics35,389
Posts416,722
Members5,984
Most Online3,380
Dec 29th, 2019
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Originally Posted by Thomas the Seeker
This still picture from the video puts it in perspective:
http://cdn.stereogum.com/files/2012/08/Pussy-Riot-608x504.jpg

Even more revolting:

[ur]http://graphics8.nytimes.com/images...-goldman/08riot1-goldman-tmagArticle.jpg[/url]

Last edited by Thomas the Seeker; 08/19/12 02:10 AM. Reason: text coding
C
C
This still picture from the video puts it in perspective:
http://cdn.stereogum.com/files/2012/08/Pussy-Riot-608x504.jpg

Even more revolting:

[ur]http://graphics8.nytimes.com/images...-goldman/08riot1-goldman-tmagArticle.jpg[/url]

Thomas.

The links do not work, well at least not on my browser. The first one that you sent did work however.

Viking

I just cleared my cache and retested each link--working just fine on a Direcway sattelite connection running Classilla 9.3.0--yes, I'm one of those classic Mac Luddites.

E
E
This whole thing is just stupid. Anyone who would rush into any religious building for any reason and interrupt any sort of gathering simple lacks manners and even a shred of decency. No religion would tolerate this stuff, if this happened in Saudi Arabia, no one would bat an eye, because the regime would just do what it always does.

As for Putin, from what I see, he "appears" to be a dictator. I can't say first hand, I don't live in Russia. But is anyone surprised by that? Russia has always had supreme authority figures. Think back to the old Russian saying "Orthodoxy, Autocracy, Nationality." Orthodoxy is the Russian way, autocracy is the way of their political system, it always has been. The main Russian ethnicity has ruled Russia for ages (if you discount the whole Mongol episode). What do a bunch of feminist musicians think they're going to change? Over 1000 years of Russian autocracy? I don't think so.

S
S
As for Putin, from what I see, he "appears" to be a dictator. I can't say first hand, I don't live in Russia. But is anyone surprised by that? Russia has always had supreme authority figures. Think back to the old Russian saying "Orthodoxy, Autocracy, Nationality." Orthodoxy is the Russian way, autocracy is the way of their political system, it always has been. The main Russian ethnicity has ruled Russia for ages (if you discount the whole Mongol episode). What do a bunch of feminist musicians think they're going to change? Over 1000 years of Russian autocracy? I don't think so.

A good example of the soft bigotry of low expectations. "They're just Russians--this is what they deserve".

Also a startling example of historical illiteracy, but I've given up on that--few people come up to my standards these days.

Last edited by StuartK; 08/19/12 04:44 AM.
S
S
Really? Please enlighten me.

At various times, I have been accused on this forum of hating (in no particular order):

The Roman Catholic Church

The Ruthenian Byzantine Catholic Church

The Orthodox Church (in general)

Bishops (as a group)

The Pope (as a person and as an office)

Russians (as a people)

Russia (as a nation)

Serbs

Croats

Muslims

Christians

Jews

All you have to do is read my archived posts.

Last edited by StuartK; 08/19/12 04:42 AM.
C
C
Originally Posted by StuartK
Really? Please enlighten me.

At various times, I have been accused on this forum of hating (in no particular order):

The Roman Catholic Church

The Ruthenian Byzantine Catholic Church

The Orthodox Church (in general)

Bishops (as a group)

The Pope (as a person and as an office)

Russians (as a people)

Russia (as a nation)

Serbs

Croats

Muslims

Christians

Jews

All you have to do is read my archived posts.

So you live to p--- everyone off? Nice. I am starting to feel better about myself, I'm not as cranky as I thought I was. Have a nice day.

Viking

C
C
I just cleared my cache and retested each link--working just fine on a Direcway sattelite connection running Classilla 9.3.0--yes, I'm one of those classic Mac Luddites.

The links seem to be working on my computer now. The Penquin that runs the shop must have gone out for a break.

Viking

C
C
Originally Posted by StuartK

A good example of the soft bigotry of low expectations. "They're just Russians--this is what they deserve".

Also a startling example of historical illiteracy, but I've given up on that--few people come up to my standards these days.
smirk

Sorry we don't measure up to your standards Stuart. Actually I think the remarks made hit the nail right on the head. As far as your thoughts regarding "soft bigotry" can you honestly say that you yourself have not indulged in this.

Viking

C
C
Regarding this whole mess. Good for the Russian Orthodox Church and good for Putin. Nuts on the nay sayers and Alice I agree
with you.

Seraphim/Viking

S
S
Actually I think the remarks made hit the nail right on the head. As far as your thoughts regarding "soft bigotry" can you honestly say that you yourself have not indulged in this.

Nope. I judge everybody by the same high and exacting standard. That's why so few measure up.

C
C
Stuart, Don't forget hating us crazy Old Calenderist.

Finally some clarity on this forum. The MP is not what you think. Christ wants Lambs not sheeple.

Greetings on this day of the Transfiguration.

S
S
Stuart, Don't forget hating us crazy Old Calenderist.

Oh, yeah. I forgot. So when are you guys going to get your Typicon in line with the astronomical year?

U
U
While I agree with Stuart's assessment of the Putin regime and the complicity of the "Third Rome" in its corruption, I hardly think these three young women are Holy Fools. They are, in fact, unbelieving, savvy musical media wonks - nothing holy about their show. Holy Fools prick our conscience. I'm afraid the their message got lost in the revulsion most believers felt by their choice of venue. Putin and the Patriarch lost, too, by making more of the event than it deserved. A trial? They should have been slapped on the wrist and sent home crying months ago. Naughty girls.

R
Rybak Offline OP
OP Offline
R
The idea that this group of women are holy fools defies logic. Last night I watched a news report from Germany about their group and it's recent history. It showed clips of three of their other protests which featured the most debauched types of public group sex, naked exploits and even animals! It was beyond disgusting. Most of their activity is political, the acts in the cathedral seem to be their first public foray into the religious arena. Another indication that they are not holy fools. This group of 10 to 13 women (3 of which participated in the cathedral event) are over-the-top, offensive publicity seekers. I don't mind their 2 year jail sentence at all.

Page 3 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  Irish Melkite, theophan 

Link Copied to Clipboard
The Byzantine Forum provides message boards for discussions focusing on Eastern Christianity (though discussions of other topics are welcome). The views expressed herein are those of the participants and may or may not reflect the teachings of the Byzantine Catholic or any other Church. The Byzantine Forum and the www.byzcath.org site exist to help build up the Church but are unofficial, have no connection with any Church entity, and should not be looked to as a source for official information for any Church. All posts become property of byzcath.org. Contents copyright - 1996-2024 (Forum 1998-2023). All rights reserved.