The Byzantine Forum
Newest Members
Rocco, Hvizsgyak, P.W., Ramon, PeaceBeToAll
5,982 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 246 guests, and 55 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Photos
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
by orthodoxsinner2, September 30
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
by Veronica.H, April 24
Byzantine Catholic Outreach of Iowa
Exterior of Holy Angels Byzantine Catholic Parish
Church of St Cyril of Turau & All Patron Saints of Belarus
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics35,388
Posts416,719
Members5,982
Most Online3,380
Dec 29th, 2019
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 8 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

AMEN to Father Sergy!

I cannot believe how many Christians believe that it is okay to blaspheme inside a church. Lord have mercy! We surely have become like animals and uncivilized!

Originally Posted by StuartK
So, a Russian Orthodox, living in Russia, criticizes the political situation in Russia, and you call it bashing.
Of course. I'm sure I can find tens of thousands of Russian Orthodox, living in Russia, who see it quite different than this individual...and can give a fair and balanced account.

Which is really your way of saying any criticism of Russia is off the table entirely--Russia can do no wrong
I did not say that...you did. I said that it sounds like Russia-bashing to me.

(and why not? It is, after all "Holy Mother Russia", the "Third Rome" and New Jerusalem--says so on the label).
What's with all the bitterness and extreme sarcasm?

Why not try dealing with reality for a change. It's difficult and causes headaches, I know--but it's so much better than waking up with a Cool-Aid hangover.
Your anger and insults are completely uncalled for. I am sorry that I hit such a sore spot for you.

S
S
I surrender--you have all drunk the Cool-Aid, now you're going to have to live with the consequences. Some people have eyes but cannot-or will not-see.

AthanasiusTheLesser
AthanasiusTheLesser
I surrender--you have all drunk the Cool-Aid, now you're going to have to live with the consequences. Some people have eyes but cannot-or will not-see.

For what it's worth, Stuart, I agree with just about everything you've written in this thread.

L
L

P Riot and there Ukrainian counterparts Femen are sending out a message to the world that attacks upon Orthodox and Catholic institutions are now legitimate forms of protest.

Some people have eyes but cannot-or will not-see.

Indeed.

S
S
Remove then the beam from thine eye, before you point to the mote in my own.

Remove then the beam from thine eye, before you point to the mote in my own.
Beautiful words to live by.

S
S
Also, "Ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall set ye free". But first, it will make you very, very angry.

Also, "Ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall set ye free".

Another classic! And don't forget this one since we are in Bible quote mode:

A fool uttereth all his mind: a wise man deferreth, and keepeth it till afterwards.
(Prov 29:11 DR)

John
John
Some of the posts on this thread are just nutty. Russian Orthodoxy is holy but individual Russian Orthodox Christians (laymen and clergy) range from holy to heretic, from saint to devil. The current government is far better than communism but it’s certainly not holy. Everything there is subject to legitimate criticism, just as everything here is subject to legitimate criticism. It should not be seen as an attack against “Holy Russia”. To those of you who consider Russia to be a far better, far holier place to live than the United States or the cultural West, who deny a factual account of how things are there, I’d suggest acting on your beliefs. They are literally handing land away all across Russia to anyone willing to move there and work it.

As to the punk band “Pussy Riot”, they certainly should have the freedom to demonstrate against Putin. Their mistake was doing so in the altar of an Orthodox Church. But, from their position, Orthodoxy is no different than Putin because they act together.

I think the Russian Orthodox Church officials committed a mistake even bigger than the band who demonstrated in the altar. Imagine how different this could have turned out if whatever clergy was present simply invited the protestors to sit and chat to hear them out, and to tell them about Jesus in a loving manner. It’s an opportunity lost, because these protestors and those who join with them are now firmer in their belief that the Orthodox Church is merely a modern reincarnation of the KGB run Orthodox Church of the communist era.

J
JDC Offline
J
Stuart: Kool-Aid, the tasty, popular, and reasonably priced drink crystals from Kraft Foods made infamous by the Jonestown cult mass-suicide, is actually spelled with a K. Kool-Aid. It's important.

S
S
One doesn't want to get slammed for trademark infringement, though I suppose I could always write Kool-Aid (TM).

S
S
If they did this in my parish I would have loudly and forcibly removed them (for that matter, were I at the cathedral when they were there I would have done the same. The fact that I would have been not Russian and not Orthodox would have made an amusing footnote to this).

That being said, I would never have supported their civil prosecution - here or there - and am opposed to blasphemy laws. I am also wary of any church affiliation with government or factions thereof. In my own Roman history this was a problem, and in cases like Patriarch Arsenius' controversial excommunication of Emperor Michael VIII (the very man who liberated the Queen of Cities from the crusader barbarians) I would have stood with the Patriarch. The even closer cooperation between church and government in Russian history has always struck me as uncomforting.

Page 8 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  Irish Melkite, theophan 

Link Copied to Clipboard
The Byzantine Forum provides message boards for discussions focusing on Eastern Christianity (though discussions of other topics are welcome). The views expressed herein are those of the participants and may or may not reflect the teachings of the Byzantine Catholic or any other Church. The Byzantine Forum and the www.byzcath.org site exist to help build up the Church but are unofficial, have no connection with any Church entity, and should not be looked to as a source for official information for any Church. All posts become property of byzcath.org. Contents copyright - 1996-2024 (Forum 1998-2023). All rights reserved.