The Byzantine Forum
Newest Members
Galumph, Leon_C, Rocco, Hvizsgyak, P.W.
5,984 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
1 members (1 invisible), 246 guests, and 50 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Photos
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
by orthodoxsinner2, September 30
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
by Veronica.H, April 24
Byzantine Catholic Outreach of Iowa
Exterior of Holy Angels Byzantine Catholic Parish
Church of St Cyril of Turau & All Patron Saints of Belarus
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics35,389
Posts416,722
Members5,984
Most Online3,380
Dec 29th, 2019
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 9 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
J
jjp Offline
J
It was indeed an opportunity lost for the ROC - this protest has only highlighted the lack of daylight between Church and State in Russia (and is a prime example of why such separation a good thing - for the sake of the Church).

However, as has been outlined, we are not so far away as we like to pretend from such miscarriages of justice ourselves. That doesn't diminish criticism of Moscow, it is an impartial and moral response to those who feel we are immune.

Poke and prod a bit, and you can get highly educated Christian Americans to sound a lot like Putin himself, and that troubles me most.

Such miscarriages of justice ought to be condemned, period.

Originally Posted by Administrator
Everything there is subject to legitimate criticism, just as everything here is subject to legitimate criticism.

Exactly.

It should not be seen as an attack against “Holy Russia”.
I have not seen where anyone is saying that it is an attack on Holy Russia. But when some poster accuses others of drinking the "Kool-aid" because of disagreement....that is unfortunate.

I think the Russian Orthodox Church officials committed a mistake even bigger than the band who demonstrated in the altar.

In my opinion....two years was a light sentence.

It’s an opportunity lost, because these protestors and those who join with them are now firmer in their belief that the Orthodox Church is merely a modern reincarnation of the KGB run Orthodox Church of the communist era.

These protesters and their supporters are radicals. I think that the jail sentence was adequate to quell their reprehensible behaviour. But once again....that is only my opinion.

Last edited by Recluse; 08/27/12 10:50 AM.
S
S
Kool-Aid, Kool-aid, tastes great.
Wish I had some, can't wait.

I guess that dates me a bit.

S
S
Poke and prod a bit, and you can get highly educated Christian Americans to sound a lot like Putin himself, and that troubles me most.
Don't we have a lot of Christian Americans right on this forum parroting Putin?

I have received complaints about Stuart's taunting 'kool-aid' comments, so can he please 'kool' it with the 'kool-aid' taunts and save it for the playground?!? wink

As for me, I would just respond: 'sticks and stones may break my bones, but names will never hurt me'!

Alice,

S
S
Quid pro quo: No more Kool-Aid comments if I never see the term "Neo-Con" used on this forum again.

Stuart, Stuart, Stuart---*sigh*

J
jjp Offline
J
Originally Posted by StuartK
Don't we have a lot of Christian Americans right on this forum parroting Putin?

We do, some parrot him defending Moscow's abuses, others in defending the USA's abuses.

No good either way.

I agree with Stuart as well. I think these women should have just been fined and sentenced to some community service.

Originally Posted by Athanasius The L
Originally Posted by StuartK
I surrender--you have all drunk the Cool-Aid, now you're going to have to live with the consequences. Some people have eyes but cannot-or will not-see.

For what it's worth, Stuart, I agree with just about everything you've written in this thread.

C
C
http://www.jpost.com/LandedPages/PrintArticle.aspx?id=282235

I like the addition of the Jewish angle.

C
C
Originally Posted by chadrook
http://www.jpost.com/LandedPages/PrintArticle.aspx?id=282235

I like the addition of the Jewish angle.

Spot on !!

Viking

S
S
Thus free speech rights do not extend to private property.

Someone has not been paying attention or reading the things I posted (yes, that means YOU!). Christ the Savior Cathedral does not belong to the Russian Orthodox Church--it was built and paid for, and is owned by the Russian government. Like the original Christ the Savior, it was built by the government as a monument to itself and its relationship with the Church. As such, it is in fact a government building, and the Lithwick objection does not pertain.

Last edited by StuartK; 08/29/12 05:41 PM.
Page 9 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  Irish Melkite, theophan 

Link Copied to Clipboard
The Byzantine Forum provides message boards for discussions focusing on Eastern Christianity (though discussions of other topics are welcome). The views expressed herein are those of the participants and may or may not reflect the teachings of the Byzantine Catholic or any other Church. The Byzantine Forum and the www.byzcath.org site exist to help build up the Church but are unofficial, have no connection with any Church entity, and should not be looked to as a source for official information for any Church. All posts become property of byzcath.org. Contents copyright - 1996-2024 (Forum 1998-2023). All rights reserved.