The Byzantine Forum
Newest Members
Galumph, Leon_C, Rocco, Hvizsgyak, P.W.
5,984 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 456 guests, and 39 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Photos
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
by orthodoxsinner2, September 30
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
by Veronica.H, April 24
Byzantine Catholic Outreach of Iowa
Exterior of Holy Angels Byzantine Catholic Parish
Church of St Cyril of Turau & All Patron Saints of Belarus
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics35,389
Posts416,722
Members5,984
Most Online3,380
Dec 29th, 2019
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
P
OP Offline
P
Moderator Note:

Stepan,

Welcome to the forum.

I was in the process of moving your post to a different subforum, where I thought it would get better visibility. In the course of doing so, its content (together with a reply to it that I had posted, containing links to all the Byzantine monasteries in the US) somehow disappeared, as did my response - in its entirety.

My apologies. I suggest that you repost your inquiry.

Many years,

Neil (still without any clue how he caused that to happen confused )

#385047 08/22/12 05:21 PM
P
OP Offline
P
Greetings in Christ, :)

My other post seems to have been misplaced, so I am reposting at the recommendation of the moderator.

I am an EO Christian, but my family comes from a Chaldean Catholic background, so I am interested in learning more about Eastern Catholicism.

Right now, I am particularly interested in what Byzantine Catholic monasteries exist in the U.S.; especially those that are Melkite.

In XC,
Stepan

P
OP Offline
P
So... If anyone wants to make a recommendation or two about BC monasteries to visit, feel free to contribute. I feel like I've been talking to myself so far...

Originally Posted by perplexedstepan
So... If anyone wants to make a recommendation or two about BC monasteries to visit, feel free to contribute. I feel like I've been talking to myself so far...

Dear Stepan,
Sorry your thread has been seemingly neglected here! From what I understand, the most viable Byzantine Catholic monastery in the U.S. is Holy Resurrection Romanian Catholic monastery in Wisconsin. Here's their website: http://hrmonline.org/

I should also mention that the forum member here named Rybak seems to be the most knowledgable about this topic.

Last edited by desertman; 08/27/12 01:51 AM.
J
J
Holy Transfiguration Skete is located in the U.P. of Michigan on the shores of Lake Superior at Eagle Harbor, MI

Holy Transfiguration Monastery is in Redwood Valley, California.

They both are Ukranian Catholic and have websites.

P
OP Offline
P
Thank you both for this information. I will look into this more.

In XC,
Stepan H.

R
R
I would recommend a visit to Holy Resurrection Monastery in Wisconsin (Romanian Greek Catholic) or to the Skete of the Precious and Life-creating Cross in Myrnam, Alberta (Ukrainian Greek Catholic. The Maronites have a well-regarded community in Petersham, Massachusetts called Most Holy Trinity Monastery. As far as the other communities go in the U.S. or Canada, I would not recommend visiting them at this time.

I don't know that MHT Maronite monastery is recommended at this time either. From other posts, it seems to be very latinized, as is the Maronite Church in general, but this Monastery is mostly Latins and seems to prefer it, from what I read earlier. Feel free to correct me if I am wrong.

Is the Ukranian Monastery that used to run the Icon and Book Service in Washington, D.C. now defunct?

R
R
Holy Cross Monastery in Washington, D.C. only has one member left in it's community I'm told.

R
R
The Maronites are highly Latinized, but there is always hope for a recovery of authentic tradition!

P
OP Offline
P
Thank you again, everyone.

I just realized though... By BC, I meant Byzantine Catholic; not necessarily British Columbia. Haha! Sorry about that. :-D

L
L
Originally Posted by Rybak
I would recommend a visit to Holy Resurrection Monastery in Wisconsin (Romanian Greek Catholic) or to the Skete of the Precious and Life-creating Cross in Myrnam, Alberta (Ukrainian Greek Catholic. The Maronites have a well-regarded community in Petersham, Massachusetts called Most Holy Trinity Monastery. As far as the other communities go in the U.S. or Canada, I would not recommend visiting them at this time.

I agree with you and others about the Holy Resurrection Monastery. I can point out that when I first met Fr Maximos, of HRM, we were at a conference. When he learned that I live in the SF Bay Area, where he had been a student getting his MA, he highly recommended that I visit St Nicholas OCA parish, and the the Orthodox Christian Fellowship meeting at Patriarch Athenagoras Orthodox Institute. St Nicholas has become my home-away-from-home for nearly every festal vigil and many other services. I have thanked Fr Maximos many times for this inspired referral. I also get to the Orthodox Christian Fellowship as often as I can, which sadly isn't often due to an ongoing commitment on Tuesday nights. It's a delightful group of young people-- Orthodox, Catholic, and other.

You can get a feel for the HRM monks by watching the interviews "Catherine Anderson" did some years ago at Your Word Form the Wise [youtube.com]

R
R
In my earlier posts, I forgot to mention that there are two Greek Catholic women's monasteries that would certainly be worth visiting. I believe that they allow male guests.

Holy Theophany Monastery (Romanian Greek Catholic) just outside Olympia, Washington

http://holytheophanymonastery.org/

and

Christ the Bridegroom Community (Byzantine Catholic Church in America) in Barton, Ohio

http://christthebridegroom.blogspot.com/

J
J
Glory to Jesus Christ!
Stepan,
Abbot Nicholas of Holy Resurrection Monastery is a friend of Metropolitan Jonah. For that, and other reasons, I would highly commend visiting there if there was only one monastery for you to visit.

In XC,
J. Andrew

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Irish Melkite, theophan 

Link Copied to Clipboard
The Byzantine Forum provides message boards for discussions focusing on Eastern Christianity (though discussions of other topics are welcome). The views expressed herein are those of the participants and may or may not reflect the teachings of the Byzantine Catholic or any other Church. The Byzantine Forum and the www.byzcath.org site exist to help build up the Church but are unofficial, have no connection with any Church entity, and should not be looked to as a source for official information for any Church. All posts become property of byzcath.org. Contents copyright - 1996-2024 (Forum 1998-2023). All rights reserved.