The Byzantine Forum
Newest Members
Annapolis Melkites, Daniel Hoseiny, PaulV, ungvar1900, Donna Zoll
5,993 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
1 members (NathanJA), 395 guests, and 36 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Photos
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
by orthodoxsinner2, September 30
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
by Veronica.H, April 24
Byzantine Catholic Outreach of Iowa
Exterior of Holy Angels Byzantine Catholic Parish
Church of St Cyril of Turau & All Patron Saints of Belarus
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics35,393
Posts416,749
Members5,993
Most Online3,380
Dec 29th, 2019
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 14 of 16 1 2 12 13 14 15 16
Originally Posted by ConstantineTG
I had some chat time with His Beatitude yesterday. Maybe I should have asked him to sign up with ByzCath and share his thoughts biggrin

He's already here, but he asked me not to reveal what user-name he uses.

C
OP Offline
C
No, seriously, I was chatting with him yesterday. He is here on a visit in our Eparchy. I served as yesterday's Divine Liturgy, Moleben, and today's Patriarchal Divine Liturgy.

Don't you think it would have been funny if I did ask him if he posts at ByzCath :P

I
I
Originally Posted by Michael_Thoma
Originally Posted by Peter J
Originally Posted by StuartK
I'm with those who believe the Ukrainian Greek Catholic Church should take a play out of the Orthodox book and "just do it".

Side question: is there such a word as "Orthodozation"? Or, more to the point, if it doesn't exist should we invent it?

Now back to ...
There is Byzantinization / Constantiopolization - which is what occurred when the Semitic Churches rejected Chalcedon.
The Acts of Chalcedon bears dozens of signatures in Syriac, a Semitic language, from the Patriarchate(s) of Antioch and/- Jerusalem.

The EP set up it's own Greek appointees to the Sees of Antioch, Alexandria, and possibly Jerusalem, and became defacto Supreme Pontiff (First Among Equals with more than Equal Jurisdiction).

No.

The Patriarchs of Alexandria, Antioch and Jerusalem Greek from the first century, with Greek primates since the second century.

The Holy Synod of Alexandria elected a new Pope to replace the deposed Pope Dioscoros: the Fathers of Chalcedon mandated by canon that they not leave Constantinople until they did so. Once Pope Proterius was elected, they signed the Definition of Chalcedon.

Both Patriarch Domnus II, who Pope Dioscoros had deposed, and Patriarch Maximos II, whom Pope Dioscoros had placed on St. Peter's First Throne of Antioch, signed the Definition of Chalcedon, and the Fathers held a special session to legitimize Maximos' Patriarchate and the pension for Patriarch Domnus, per their agreement.

The Fathers of Chalcedon legitimized the elevation of Jerusalem to a Patriarchate by Pope
Dioscoros, and its Patriarch Juvenal signed the Definition of Chalcedon. The non-Chalcedonians never created a hierarchy for Jerusalem nor a non-Chalcedonian Patriarchate of Jerusalem.

The EP has never been a "Supreme Pontiff," de facto or otherwise. Though many have thought of themselves as such. Or thinks of himself as such.

I'm totally in favor of Very Rev. Fr. Taft's "just do it" principle as well! I'm sure the Catholicos (aka Major-Archbishop) of the Malankara Syrian Catholic Church and the Holy Synod agree... now if the hoops regarding married clergy could follow the same.. =)
Sort of questions Pastor Aeternus and its claims, and the necessity of a man serving as "font of unity."

Originally Posted by IAlmisry
I'm totally in favor of Very Rev. Fr. Taft's "just do it" principle as well! I'm sure the Catholicos (aka Major-Archbishop) of the Malankara Syrian Catholic Church and the Holy Synod agree... now if the hoops regarding married clergy could follow the same.. =)
Sort of questions Pastor Aeternus and its claims, and the necessity of a man serving as "font of unity."
Well, that's probably why Stuart referred to it as "tak[ing] a play out of the Orthodox book", and why I suggested the term "Orthodization".

I
I
Well, that's probably why Stuart referred to it as "tak[ing] a play out of the Orthodox book", and why I suggested the term "Orthodization".
does that mean "'doxing" on a grand scale?

I would have to say "no", since "Doxing" means "converting to Orthodoxy". (Not that either "Doxing" or "Orthodization" will ever be in Webster. blush ) In the same way "Latinization" doesn't mean "canonically transferring to the Latin Church".

C
OP Offline
C

Sweet! Where do I sign up? biggrin

Sweet! Where do I sign up? biggrin

Oh, right behind this door. (Opens doors slightly to confirm that the Spanish inquisitors are standing ready on the other side.)

Or you could have "Byzantination" meaning that you are moving from the Latin Church into the Eastern Catholic Rite (trust me, there's probably been plenty of that going on over the years). It's kind of a "stepping stone" effort, because before you can become full-blown Orthodox from Catholic faith, it's always best to switch to the Eastern Catholic faith first, since you are still under full Communion with the Vatican, then you can "Dox" over once you've mastered the Eastern traditions.

Last edited by 8IronBob; 09/16/12 11:48 AM.
Originally Posted by 8IronBob
Or you could have "Byzantination" meaning that you are moving from the Latin Church into the Eastern Catholic Rite (trust me, there's probably been plenty of that going on over the years).

I completely agree in principle. But the thing is, "Latinization" in principle could be defined as joining the Latin Church, but in practice it is almost always defined as adopting Latin customs without joining the Latin Church.

It's kind of a "stepping stone" effort, because before you can become full-blown Orthodox from Catholic faith, it's always best to switch to the Eastern Catholic faith first, since you are still under full Communion with the Vatican, then you can "Dox" over once you've mastered the Eastern traditions.

Always best? Seems like an over-generalization. What about the WRO? They're not chopped liver.

Or you could have "Byzantination" meaning that you are moving from the Latin Church into the Eastern Catholic Rite (trust me, there's probably been plenty of that going on over the years).

I completely agree in principle. But the thing is, "Latinization" in principle could be defined as joining the Latin Church, but in practice it is almost always defined as adopting Latin customs without joining the Latin Church.

It's kind of a "stepping stone" effort, because before you can become full-blown Orthodox from Catholic faith, it's always best to switch to the Eastern Catholic faith first, since you are still under full Communion with the Vatican, then you can "Dox" over once you've mastered the Eastern traditions.

Always best? Seems like an over-generalization. What about the WRO? They're not chopped liver.

Feelings are mixed, within Orthodoxy, regarding their Western rite brethren.

Originally Posted By: 8IronBob

Christ is in our midst!!

Forgive me, but making the profound change of one's commitment in one of the Apostolic Churches when they are not in communion is a bit more than changing one's membership from one civic club to another--like dropping out of the Lions and becoming a Rotarian.

There is the positive side of finding many similarities in the understanding of the fact that the bread and wine offered become the life-giving Body and Blood of Christ.

But there is a negative that is often overlooked and that causes hard feelings and a sense of distrust of the person moving in the community abandoned. In a sense, there is an implied condemnation of the community one has moved from, its leaders, its doctrine, and its version of history. No small matter here.

May I suggest that if you haven't done this you might consider that people who have done so have very often suffered a wrenching in the deepest part of their souls. Very often there is familial opposition that plays itself out around the holiday table if not more often when one lives in the same community or within short distances.

Bob

Last edited by theophan; 09/16/12 11:10 PM. Reason: clarification
Originally Posted by theophan
Originally Posted By: 8IronBob
Christ is in our midst!!

Forgive me, but making the profound change of one's commitment in one of the Apostolic Churches when they are not in communion is a bit more than changing one's membership from one civic club to another--like dropping out of the Lions and becoming a Rotarian.

There is the positive side of finding many similarities in the understanding of the fact that the bread and wine offered become the life-giving Body and Blood of Christ.

But there is a negative that is often overlooked and that causes hard feelings and a sense of distrust of the person moving in the community abandoned. In a sense, there is an implied condemnation of the community one has moved from, its leaders, its doctrine, and its version of history. No small matter here.

May I suggest that if you haven't done this you might consider that people who have done so have very often suffered a wrenching in the deepest part of their souls. Very often there is familial opposition that plays itself out around the holiday table if not more often when one lives in the same community or within short distances.

Good post.

First I just want to mention that the post you quoted was by 8IronBob (I say this not so much for you but for anyone who could be confused that the "Re: Lester S" at the top of your post.)

But more to the point, I think you're absolutely right to say that it's no small matter to switch from Catholicism to Orthodoxy, or vice versa. By way of comparison, it's worth noting that a switch, let's say, from the Chaldean Catholic Church to the Maronite Catholic Church, can only be done with the permission of the bishop one is leaving. But when someone speaks of switching between Catholicism and Orthodoxy, it is to be understood that they mean doing so without the permission of the old bishop. A very serious matter.

Last edited by theophan; 09/16/12 11:12 PM. Reason: clarification
C
OP Offline
C
Indeed it is not a simple step. I've always thought about my family (extended, like parents, sisters, not wife and kids) and also the community I will be leaving behind if I do "'dox". That alone is harder than trying to learn the teachings and making comparissons.

Indeed it is not a simple step. I've always thought about my family (extended, like parents, sisters, not wife and kids) and also the community I will be leaving behind if I do "'dox". That alone is harder than trying to learn the teachings and making comparissons.

echoed, brother.

Page 14 of 16 1 2 12 13 14 15 16

Moderated by  theophan 

Link Copied to Clipboard
The Byzantine Forum provides message boards for discussions focusing on Eastern Christianity (though discussions of other topics are welcome). The views expressed herein are those of the participants and may or may not reflect the teachings of the Byzantine Catholic or any other Church. The Byzantine Forum and the www.byzcath.org site exist to help build up the Church but are unofficial, have no connection with any Church entity, and should not be looked to as a source for official information for any Church. All posts become property of byzcath.org. Contents copyright - 1996-2024 (Forum 1998-2023). All rights reserved.