The Byzantine Forum
Newest Members
Galumph, Leon_C, Rocco, Hvizsgyak, P.W.
5,984 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 456 guests, and 39 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Photos
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
by orthodoxsinner2, September 30
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
by Veronica.H, April 24
Byzantine Catholic Outreach of Iowa
Exterior of Holy Angels Byzantine Catholic Parish
Church of St Cyril of Turau & All Patron Saints of Belarus
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics35,389
Posts416,722
Members5,984
Most Online3,380
Dec 29th, 2019
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
C
OP Offline
C
Originally Posted by Wheelbarrow
No no no. Definitely do both. I'm expressing my opinion that internet evangelization is not as strong a tool as would be the real world approach. By all means try all avenues, but we need to pay more attention and energy into the real world on the street approach.

If you are here with me to do that, I will definitely do that as well. Right now no one is interested in what I want to do. I'm close to giving up and just move on.

Well if I could create a website I would but have not a clue how to do any of that.

C
OP Offline
C
Well if I could create a website I would but have not a clue how to do any of that.

You can do either a blog or a facebook page to begin with. A formal website can come after if the need arises and you have the funding.

C
OP Offline
C
Hyperdox Herman posted this article about this soap opera dude who converted to Orthodoxy. Article said he heavily considered Catholicism. I wonder if he even considered Eastern Catholicism. He was converted by Fr. Schmemann's book, "For the Life of the World." That is another thing missing from us ECs, books of teachings of our faith. We rely on Orthodox teachings, which is not bad because they are the source of our faith and praxis. But how will people discover us then? What leads people to our Churches? Are our converts really just Roman Catholics who want to become Orthodox but doesn't want to break union with the Pope?

Originally Posted by ConstantineTG

You can do either a blog or a facebook page to begin with. A formal website can come after if the need arises and you have the funding.

I do have a little Christian blog but its more of a personal blog than one that expounds the faith. I simply don't have the neck or authority to do that.

C
OP Offline
C
I do have a little Christian blog but its more of a personal blog than one that expounds the faith. I simply don't have the neck or authority to do that.

A blog doesn't have to be a teaching blog. It could just help "advertise" the parish or the faith in general. You can also do informal commentaries on books you've read about the faith. You don't have to be St. John Chrysostom on the web.

Oh right ok thanks.

J
JPS Offline
J
My parish is trying to become more involved in our community and are priest asks us for help. So any ideas you can give would be great.

C
OP Offline
C
Well, this website is happening. We have a working group on it. If anyone is interested, let me know.

Shlomo Constantine,

I love this idea. I would also hope that we Eastern Catholics look at having a conference maybe every 3 years where all Eastern Catholic groups would get together and share. Right now we Maronites have our yearly NAM convention and I know that the Ukrainians have something similar.

What I wish to see is for us to be supportive of our eparchs. As some of you know the Bishops Conference have now created region XV that covers all Eastern Catholic Eparchies and parishes. I hope that we lay people will now work to organize so that region XV is viable and not just an appendage of the Bishops Conference.

To all on the board, I am sorry that I have not been active, but I have been very sick. I hope in the near future to be more active.

Also, for those of us Eastern Catholics near a college of university, please get to know the Catholic youth group organized therein. Especially the Newman Centers on secular campuses. I am working with UNLV to have them have Eastern Catholic information in their library.

Fush BaShlomo Lkhoolkhoon,
Yuhannon

In October 1954 the Philadelphia Archeparchy for Ukrainians sponsored a truly memorable Eucharistic Congress of the Eastern Rites. Many rites of the Catholic Church were represented and drew thousands of faithful. We need something similar now.
http://discover.hsp.org/Author/Home?author=National%20Eucharistic%20Marian%20Congress%20of%20the%20Oriental%20Rites%20%28Philadelphia%2C%20Pa.%29

Last edited by Pavloosh; 10/17/12 09:15 PM.
C
OP Offline
C
Originally Posted by Yuhannon
Shlomo Constantine,

I love this idea. I would also hope that we Eastern Catholics look at having a conference maybe every 3 years where all Eastern Catholic groups would get together and share. Right now we Maronites have our yearly NAM convention and I know that the Ukrainians have something similar.

What I wish to see is for us to be supportive of our eparchs. As some of you know the Bishops Conference have now created region XV that covers all Eastern Catholic Eparchies and parishes. I hope that we lay people will now work to organize so that region XV is viable and not just an appendage of the Bishops Conference.

To all on the board, I am sorry that I have not been active, but I have been very sick. I hope in the near future to be more active.

Also, for those of us Eastern Catholics near a college of university, please get to know the Catholic youth group organized therein. Especially the Newman Centers on secular campuses. I am working with UNLV to have them have Eastern Catholic information in their library.

Fush BaShlomo Lkhoolkhoon,
Yuhannon

I tried getting in contact with some of those orgs in the universities but I never heard back from them. frown

B
B
We need a lot of Eastern Catholic websites... it really helps...
We use many forms of our presentation at St. Nicholas Barberton:

About our parish... [stnickbyz.com]

Talks... [stnickbyz.com]

Our YouTube Channel... [youtube.com]

Facebook page [facebook.com]

Originally Posted by Barberton.byz
We need a lot of Eastern Catholic websites... it really helps...
We use many forms of our presentation at St. Nicholas Barberton:

About our parish... [stnickbyz.com]

Talks... [stnickbyz.com]

Our YouTube Channel... [youtube.com]

Facebook page [facebook.com]

I know that St. Josaphat Cathedral had a lot of videos regarding different feast days, and talking about their importances, and how to reflect, etc... Although I don't think Fr. Claudio nor Fr. Bohdan have been putting these together recently. Although, I remember they had another priest and/or deacon that left St. Josaphat, perhaps the video logs were his idea? What was the name of that priest or deacon that did these? I know the last one was of the Dormition of the Theotokos.

Now here's a few points from their website:

Tour of St. Josaphat Cathedral Parish:
http://www.stjosaphatcathedral.com/tour.html

The Clergy (including Bishop John Bura):
http://www.stjosaphatcathedral.com/clergy.html

The video log section:
http://www.stjosaphatcathedral.com/video.html

Mission Statement:
http://www.stjosaphatcathedral.com/mission.html

So, here's another example of how an Eastern Catholic website can come in handy.

Last edited by 8IronBob; 10/27/12 03:03 PM.
Baberton.byz, I've been enjoying the numerous talks the parish has put up on their YouTube channel. Keep up the good work; and many years!

Lester

Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  Fr. Deacon Lance 

Link Copied to Clipboard
The Byzantine Forum provides message boards for discussions focusing on Eastern Christianity (though discussions of other topics are welcome). The views expressed herein are those of the participants and may or may not reflect the teachings of the Byzantine Catholic or any other Church. The Byzantine Forum and the www.byzcath.org site exist to help build up the Church but are unofficial, have no connection with any Church entity, and should not be looked to as a source for official information for any Church. All posts become property of byzcath.org. Contents copyright - 1996-2024 (Forum 1998-2023). All rights reserved.