The Byzantine Forum
Newest Members
Galumph, Leon_C, Rocco, Hvizsgyak, P.W.
5,984 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 456 guests, and 39 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Photos
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
by orthodoxsinner2, September 30
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
by Veronica.H, April 24
Byzantine Catholic Outreach of Iowa
Exterior of Holy Angels Byzantine Catholic Parish
Church of St Cyril of Turau & All Patron Saints of Belarus
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics35,389
Posts416,722
Members5,984
Most Online3,380
Dec 29th, 2019
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
#185546 05/15/06 07:52 PM
W
W
Potatos and onions are the primary ingredients I've seen, though other ingredients can definitely be used. The Polish apparently also put sauerkraut in it. As I am no chef, I'll leave the recipes for others.

#185547 05/16/06 08:46 PM
L
L
Originally posted by Dr. Eric:
I'm confused now. In the thread about John's change of Rite. Some were writing that they put mashed potatoes in pyrohy. I thought that they were meat and vegetable filled dumplings. Are there recipes on line anywhere? confused
Here are a few:
Pyrohy recipe 1 [www2.uwindsor.ca]
Pyrohy recipe 2 [scorpius.spaceports.com]

#185548 05/17/06 09:56 PM
A
A
Well, the filling of the Eastern European variety surely has more calories and cholestoral and therefore tastes better...

My Protestant coworker goes to my church to acquire pirohi on Fridays during the Great Fast. He wonders how they can taste so good and not be sinful.

I'm a fan of both pirohi and potstickers. Most potstickers have less substantial dough and tend to be filled with healthy colorful things. Pirohi tend to be filled with good yellow stuff, like potatoes and cheese and onions.

Pirohi taste good with sour cream. My late father (an Irishman) used to eat them with jam. Potstickers do not go well with either sour cream or jam. They do better with sweet and sour sauce.

Both have their charms and both find their way onto my plate more than they should.

#185549 05/17/06 09:59 PM
A
A
Btw, the only people I know who put meat in their pirohi are Russians. I'm sure others do. My coworker makes excellent ones (he's of Polish descent) with decidedly American cheeses. potatoes and onions. My mom never made them with meat, because we ate them pretty much during the Great Fast.

You also have Ravioli in this category, since that's a stuffed dumpling of the Italian variety. Although it's best served in vodka sauce, and the ravioli stuffed with ground Italian Sausage. Seems to make sense. Although that's a Latin Rite food, for sure. I'm sure the Eastern Catholics in Italy do prefer pierogies to ravioli there. Although now with the Philip's Fast, I'm sure the pierogies and/or ravioli are filled with mushrooms and garlic, and possibly topped with either vodka sauce, or mushroom sauce.

Last edited by 8IronBob; 11/20/12 11:11 PM.
Y'all I bought these to use for our daughters wedding. THEY ARE AWESOME!

The big one makes 18 at a time, so easy!!!
http://www.kitchenniche.ca/perogie-maker-p-671.html?osCsid=1588e765d4bf137c6eb8a6473470633f.

And they have it on sale too. I havebbeen meaning to buy the smaller one, or the one to make the smaller dumplings. Since it is on sale, those may have to be part of the kids Christmas presents. That way their families each have one. People come to help some times and I end up buying more, cause mine goes home with them. They cut you labor by half or better time wise.

Dear Rose,

What kinds of pyrohy do you make? I bet they are delish when they are homemade and fresh!

I usually eat them during Lent--the potato and onion ones. I once brought them sauteed and seasoned to a Lenten supper at our church, and they were a HUGE HIT!! Everyone was asking me about them and where they could buy them. No one had ever thought of them as a Lenten food!!

The men especially liked them, because they have that 'stick to the rib' quality!

I should try the cheese ones one of these non-fasting days!

I'm sure there's a Phillip's Fast variety of pyrohy recipe that should be followed. I think one with sweet potato and cinnamon filling should be a great wind down using leftovers from Thanksgiving. I don't think there's anything wrong with using leftovers on the Friday after Thanksgiving that follows the fasting and abstinence guidelines.

Great, now we have a theme over the next month regarding pyrohy made using the Thanksgiving leftovers, as well as those recipes catered around the Phillip's Fast, and leading to the Nativity Feast.

Last edited by 8IronBob; 11/23/12 11:45 PM.
Sweet potato peroigies (Polish guy here) are great. Make then for lent. Other Polish main stays as filling, Potato and framers cheese, just plain framers cheese, kraut and onions, and muchrooms and onion.

Yes. Although to make it feel like a Thanksgiving leftover, I'd top those sweet potato pyrohy with cranberry sauce, and possibly sour cream.

G
G

Whenever I have been out for supper, I am always amazed by the pyrohy. They are always semicircular.

My baba and mother cut long strips and made perfect triangles which when boiled and give butter onions and given loads of smutana/sour cream, were fantastic.

As kids we fought about eating the 3 corners which we called ears and would hide them on our plate....but not for long. I often wonder...where did the circle idea come from.

Kolya

Yeah. I hear that. Traveling through some Latino neighborhoods in town, and trying the Mexican cousin to the pyrohy in the Empanada, I'd have to say, as much as I've liked that, it has nothing on the beauty of the Pyrohy in terms of having that healthy factor, as well as having the taste really come through in the way it was intended. Although it still was worth comparing it to.

Just came back from a Polish restaurant this afternoon, and I noticed that they had some good dessert pyrohy using pumpkin, which would have a similar taste to a sweet potato, pretty much (considering that a pumpkin pie would have a similar taste to that of a sweet potato pie). I'm gonna dig into this a little later today, and see how well of a job they did.

When nothing is available Mrs T's, fried in onions, not too bad crazy

Oh Alice, I have no idea of where this came from in my husbands family, because his grandmother and aunts made the very traditional pyrohi. I knd of think it had something todo with his mom being Irish, or maybe the German ancestry. Definitely not a Lenten version smile.

They cut up really good salt pork, brown it well with onions. Then add the sauerkraut into the pan, and simir it for awhile. Then they mixed it all together with he potatoes. After boiling, then they fried them in onions and salt pork. Being raised in the south with salt pork being a main stay. Well I thought I was in heaven.

They always made he traditional, potatoes and cheese, sweet cabbage, potatoes and onion too. I always loved his grandmothers cottage cheese and prune.

I had some with blubbery recently that a Polish friend made, not to mention her mushroom ones. Oh to die for! Well almost wink

Who could forget the old Parma Pierogies restaurants? Man, this brings back memories of when I went there, and saw all the different flavors available. You couldn't talk me out of that place. Not to mention trying the different flavors could get expensive and you'd get a big tummyache. Wow, those were the days.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Alice, theophan 

Link Copied to Clipboard
The Byzantine Forum provides message boards for discussions focusing on Eastern Christianity (though discussions of other topics are welcome). The views expressed herein are those of the participants and may or may not reflect the teachings of the Byzantine Catholic or any other Church. The Byzantine Forum and the www.byzcath.org site exist to help build up the Church but are unofficial, have no connection with any Church entity, and should not be looked to as a source for official information for any Church. All posts become property of byzcath.org. Contents copyright - 1996-2024 (Forum 1998-2023). All rights reserved.