The Byzantine Forum
Newest Members
Galumph, Leon_C, Rocco, Hvizsgyak, P.W.
5,984 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 456 guests, and 39 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Photos
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
by orthodoxsinner2, September 30
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
by Veronica.H, April 24
Byzantine Catholic Outreach of Iowa
Exterior of Holy Angels Byzantine Catholic Parish
Church of St Cyril of Turau & All Patron Saints of Belarus
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics35,389
Posts416,722
Members5,984
Most Online3,380
Dec 29th, 2019
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Originally Posted by Lyachovits
@Booth,
You must be right that there are many more readers than posters on forums. I was one of them until just now on this site and forum for a loong time. But now in good conscience, and since you addressed "us", I had to register so that I can express to you that I am grateful for your post on this topic and I think you hit the nail on the head with it!

Lyachovits,

Glory Be To Jesus Christ!

I would have sent this as a private message, but I think there's a limit when you're a new member.

Anyhow, my pleasure. Your kind thoughts have made my night! Prayers for you and yours.

As delightful as this forum is, for various reasons it is not a representative sample of all of the faithful. If you've been reading for a while, you know that; but I mention it for the sake of others. You and I are in the majority ... the silent majority.

If I didn't have to work for a living, I would post more. But thankfully, it only takes one post on a thread like this. One does not need to debate endlessly with the folks who are graced to be able to post frequently ... the Silents know all the arguments on all sides, there's nothing new to say, really ... we just need to remind them that they are not alone in wanting to be fully "Greek," and yet still take the Catholic Communion seriously.

Please feel free to join the effort. I would say it's thankless work, but you just thanked me. grin

Praises to Our Lord God for your encouraging words,
Booth

Slava Isusu Christu!

I used to get all tied up on this issue when I was younger, as my earlier posts will attest. Now, I believe repentance is the great work to move those who are in the apostolic Churches, Catholic and Orthodox, and not jumping ship to another part of Christ's Church. Leaving the BCC or the Orthodox Church to go to the other side is unnecessary. I traversed this path and found it kept me from growing in the Lord. I came into the Church of the Apostles through the BCC and when I jumped ship to the OCA back in 1999 I found that becoming Orthodox was not a jurisdictional matter, but a matter of a broken heart, full of holy tears crying to God in repentance and humility. There are some Byzantines who are more Orthodox than the "Orthodox" and some Orthodox who are only "Orthodox" in name only. It does no good to wrangle about Church politics or ecclesiatical gossip or to jump to as many Apostolic Churches as one can in one lifetime--what is fundamental is: life is short, death is near, and the way of repentance is now. May God have mercy upon me a sinner.

In the Theotokos,

Robert

-what is fundamental is: life is short, death is near, and the way of repentance is now.

Profound words, just what I needed this morning. Thanks.

Last edited by Nelson Chase; 12/04/12 05:09 PM.
Nelson, it took me many years to develop into having a truly Christic vision of the ecclesiological mess which has developed between the Apostolic Churches. This vision is based on the Gospel narrative of Christ weeping over Jerusalem and one in which one can truly contextualize the issues of division and schism in the Church today. It isn't easy to drop the tribal mentality which comes by feeling my part of Christ's Church is superior to another part of the Body, but after time the wars and in-fighting become old and dreary--oftentimes leading to despair. The essence of the problem of division is pride and once the leaders of Churches can bend their ego to Christ and put away all the dross then real unity can be apprehended and demonstrated, until then talks of unity and ecumenism are pipe dreams.

Where does one obtain a 1942 Ruthenian Recension translated from the Slavonic?

I've seen a 1965 translation from the 1942 ...

Also - how does this compare to the Divine Liturgy of John Crysostom of other Orthodox books - Serbian Orthodox for example.

Is there a source of comparative differences?

S
S
We're working on it. Ask the Administrator.

Originally Posted by haydukovich
Where does one obtain a 1942 Ruthenian Recension translated from the Slavonic?

I've seen a 1965 translation from the 1942 ...

Also - how does this compare to the Divine Liturgy of John Crysostom of other Orthodox books - Serbian Orthodox for example.

Is there a source of comparative differences?

Well, then you have the Ukrainian Orthodox and Catholic DLs of St. John Chrysostom, which are obviously based off the more modern Ukrainian languages (maybe it's Kievan-Rus Ukrainian, but who's counting?). However, to see what the differences between the English translations are from the Ukrainian Orthodox/Eastern Ukrainian, and the UGCC/Western Ukrainian (although I think there are Western Ukrainian Orthodox as well) are, and trying to compare those, that might take some doing.

I think the Anthology only covers the Archeparchy of L'viv's translations of the UGCC (soon to be Archeparchy of Kyiv). Now obviously Ukrainian's a much different language than Slavonic, even though both languages belong to the same family, but...it's good to know exactly where the middle grounds in both Slavonic and Ukrainian translations of the DL are in comparison to each other.

Last edited by 8IronBob; 12/06/12 08:54 PM.
P
P
Very interesting article. Seems to be a lot of emotional turmoil converting from catholicism to the eastern orthdoxy.

Well, this time of year, it all depends on whether you start Christmas tonight into tomorrow, or whether you wait to celebrate the Nativity on the day when we celebrate Theophany, and are just wrapping up our Christmas season.

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Irish Melkite 

Link Copied to Clipboard
The Byzantine Forum provides message boards for discussions focusing on Eastern Christianity (though discussions of other topics are welcome). The views expressed herein are those of the participants and may or may not reflect the teachings of the Byzantine Catholic or any other Church. The Byzantine Forum and the www.byzcath.org site exist to help build up the Church but are unofficial, have no connection with any Church entity, and should not be looked to as a source for official information for any Church. All posts become property of byzcath.org. Contents copyright - 1996-2024 (Forum 1998-2023). All rights reserved.