The Byzantine Forum
Newest Members
Rocco, Hvizsgyak, P.W., Ramon, PeaceBeToAll
5,982 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
1 members (1 invisible), 167 guests, and 48 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Photos
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
by orthodoxsinner2, September 30
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
by Veronica.H, April 24
Byzantine Catholic Outreach of Iowa
Exterior of Holy Angels Byzantine Catholic Parish
Church of St Cyril of Turau & All Patron Saints of Belarus
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics35,388
Posts416,719
Members5,982
Most Online3,380
Dec 29th, 2019
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
C
OP Offline
C
His Holiness Pope Benedict XVI today named Father Nil Yuriy Luschak, O.F.M., as Auxiliary Bishop of the Eparchy of Mukachevo, naming him at the same time Titular Bishop of Flenucleta.

Bishop-elect Luschak was born at Uzhorod on 22 May 1973, was ordained a priest of the Epachy of Mukachevo on 2 July 1996, studied in Rome from 2004 to 2008, entered the novitiate of the Franciscans in 2009, and professed temporary vows in 2010.

Bulletin of the Press Office of the Holy See (in Italian):
http://press.catholica.va/news_serv...30064&po_date=19.11.2012&lang=it

Report on the website of the Epachy of Mukachevo (in Ukrainian):
http://www.mgce.uz.ua/post.php?id=834

Bishop-elect Luschak is the second youngest bishop in the Church.

C
OP Offline
C
I misspelled the bishop-elect`s last name. The proper spelling is Lushchak.

Apologies for the error.

D
DMD Offline
D
Axios! Is he bi-ritualist?

L
L
Axios!

Given that the bishop-elect is a Franciscan in temporary vows, I wonder if he will profess solemn vows before being ordained a bishop?

By the way, I understand there are Byzantine Franciscans [hdbfm.com], at least in the United States.

C
OP Offline
C
Originally Posted by DMD
Axios! Is he bi-ritualist?

I doubt that he is a bi-ritual priest. His training was in the eparchial seminary. He was ordained by Bishop Ivan Semedi and only after several years of ministry did he decide to become a Franciscan. According to the statistics in the 2012 edition of the Annuario Pontificio , both the Eparchy of Mukachevo and the Latin Diocese of Mukachevo have similar priest to people ratios.

Bishop-elect Nil will be ordained bishop on January 12, 2013 in the Cathedral of the Exaltation of the Holy Cross in Uzhorod. I have not yet received information concerning his consecrator or co-consecrators.

A
A
Originally Posted by Charles N. Bransom
Bishop-elect Nil will be ordained bishop on January 12, 2013 in the Cathedral of the Exaltation of the Holy Cross in Uzhorod. I have not yet received information concerning his consecrator or co-consecrators.
Axios !

The present bishop of Mukachevo, Milan Šašik, has a Rebibian line of apostolic sucession. Thus i hope that the consecrator will be some EC bishop with a Orthodox apostolic line of succession, such as Patriarch Shevchuk (ok not technically a Patriarch, but in my heart a Patriarch) or Archbishop Cyril Vasil’

Last edited by antv; 11/21/12 06:56 PM.
C
OP Offline
C
My friend in Ukraine just advised me that Bishop-elect Nil is not bi-ritual. He described him as very kind and prayerful.

B
B
Originally Posted by antv
The present bishop of Mukachevo, Milan Šašik, has a Rebibian line of apostolic sucession.

Please for those of us who are not historians can you explain what a "Rebibian" means? Thanks.

A
A
Originally Posted by bergschlawiner
Please for those of us who are not historians can you explain what a "Rebibian" means? Thanks.
Bishop Milan Sasik was consecrated bishop by pope Wojtyla, who in turn, through many successions of laying of hand, derived his consecration from the Italian Cardinal Scipion Rebiba (consecrated bishop in 1541 but without evidence of consecrator), as well as most of the present Roman rite bishops.
Patriarch Shevchuk, as well as Archbishop Cyril Vasil’, trace back their episcopal chirotenia to Patriach Jeremias II of Costantinople (consecrated bishop on about 1568 but without evidence of consecrator).

Last edited by antv; 11/21/12 08:15 PM.
D
DMD Offline
D
Is this distinction between the apostolic lineage of the UGCC hierarchy and that of the Ruthenian Greek Catholics significant? I don't see it being of any consequence to the Orthodox, and if it is to the Greek Catholics, why is that so? Thank you.

I second David's question. Curious to know.

A
A
Originally Posted by DMD
Is this distinction between the apostolic lineage of the UGCC hierarchy and that of the Ruthenian Greek Catholics significant? I don't see it being of any consequence to the Orthodox, and if it is to the Greek Catholics, why is that so? Thank you.
Obviously this issue has not consequences, because both the Roman Apostolic succession line (the "Rebiban succession") and the Constantinople succession line are fully valid.
It is simply indicative of a change in the attitude regards the inter-rite bishop consecration: before the second half of the 20th-century no Byzantine Rite Eastern Catholic bishop was consecrated by a Latin bishop (well, perhaps the only case I'm aware is Simeon Vratanja in about 1607, but it was a consecration "sub condicione")

A
A
Father Nil Yuriy Luschak, O.F.M., bishop elect, last December 4th professed the solemn vows.

Source: http://ofmbizant.com.ua/

Wow, young Aux. Bishop. Here in the US, most priests that age are only really elevated to an Archpriest at best, or just ordained to the priesthood from the diaconate.

ajk Offline
Originally Posted by antv
It is simply indicative of a change in the attitude regards the inter-rite bishop consecration: before the second half of the 20th-century no Byzantine Rite Eastern Catholic bishop was consecrated by a Latin bishop ...

According to several (popular / "traditional") accounts, it was Pope Adrian II who ordained Methodius (arch)bishop circa. A.D. 870-873.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
The Byzantine Forum provides message boards for discussions focusing on Eastern Christianity (though discussions of other topics are welcome). The views expressed herein are those of the participants and may or may not reflect the teachings of the Byzantine Catholic or any other Church. The Byzantine Forum and the www.byzcath.org site exist to help build up the Church but are unofficial, have no connection with any Church entity, and should not be looked to as a source for official information for any Church. All posts become property of byzcath.org. Contents copyright - 1996-2024 (Forum 1998-2023). All rights reserved.