The Byzantine Forum
Newest Members
Annapolis Melkites, Daniel Hoseiny, PaulV, ungvar1900, Donna Zoll
5,993 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
2 members (griego catolico, Fr. Al), 341 guests, and 40 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Photos
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
by orthodoxsinner2, September 30
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
by Veronica.H, April 24
Byzantine Catholic Outreach of Iowa
Exterior of Holy Angels Byzantine Catholic Parish
Church of St Cyril of Turau & All Patron Saints of Belarus
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics35,393
Posts416,749
Members5,993
Most Online3,380
Dec 29th, 2019
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
E
E
i am here! as i recall, that's an RC church in Hong Kong, and the DL was a once-off special event. the chief celebrant was indeed Fr Oleksander Kenez of Melbourne, of the Ukrainian GCs.

I suppose you're right. I'm surprised that Chinese government would even allow it. Although I'm sure that Taiwan might have Greek-Catholicism more often than mainland China.

E
E
That happened in Hong Kong, and Hong Kong is a free as any global city in these matters. Permission was neither sought not required.

Ah, okay. Sweet.
Although I'm not sure how many Ruthenian clergy were along the Pacific Rim, though, since when I think about the Carpatho-Ruthenians, most have come to this country, mainly to Pennsylvania and Ohio. However, had this been introduced to Hong Kong, I'd like to know how Cantonese would sound in Prostopinije Chant. That would have been interesting. Maybe they'd have to learn Old Church Slavonic in order to make the RDL work correctly.

I know this was all off topic now. However, in terms of iconostases here in this area, I have seen some weirder than others. Now I noticed on YouTube with St. George's Orthodox Church in Taylor, PA, that their Royal Doors are kind of inverted from how most designs are, since the arch is concaved into the Royal Doors, as opposed to the right-side up arch that would be found in most parishes. Not too sure if this was what separated the Carpatho-Ruthenian Orthodox style with the Ruthenian BCC style of Royal Doors.

Last edited by 8IronBob; 11/17/12 02:29 PM.
Carpatho-Ruthenians? Since when?
I've been told it's not Carpatho-Rusyn, but it's Carpatho-Russian and to shut up about it.

Originally Posted by Pavloosh
Carpatho-Ruthenians? Since when?
I've been told it's not Carpatho-Rusyn, but it's Carpatho-Russian and to shut up about it.

All three are acceptable and don't believe anyone told you to shut up about it. He informed you why Carpatho-Russian was sued by ACROD.

My cromulent posts embiggen this forum.
That should read "used by ACROD."

My cromulent posts embiggen this forum.
LOL *SUED* by ACROD. I'm wondering how well that would have went in court had that term been brought up as a legal issue.

Last edited by 8IronBob; 11/21/12 10:46 PM.
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
To answer the seeming question raised regarding the numbers of Eastern Christians in the Pacific region, there is increasingly significant Eastern Orthodox representation (from several EO jurisdictions) in the area and several pockets of Eastern Catholicism, albeit the latter are unfortunately not yet well-served pastorally.

In addition to our brother and friend Ed (one of the oldest continuously posting members of this forum), ByzCath proudly boasts among its membership EO and EC faithful who harken from from Malaysia, The Philippines, Singapore, Indonesia, Japan, and other sites in the region - as well as American, Canadian, and Australian members whose ancestral roots are in those countries.

Many years,

Neil

"One day all our ethnic traits ... will have disappeared. Time itself is seeing to this. And so we can not think of our communities as ethnic parishes, ... unless we wish to assure the death of our community."
True. The Philippines were indeed the most influenced from the Catholic faith in the whole region. Although I thought South Korea had quite a few Christians among their ranks, too.

Chtec #389849 01/13/13 03:05 AM
Originally Posted by Chtec
The "Orthodoxy in America" site has the following info:

Holy Resurrection Church
Russian Orthodox Church Outside of Russia
6201 Detroit Ave
Cleveland, OH 44102
216/651-2879

However, the ROCOR directory does not list this parish. Since the photo has been in Monastery Icons catalogs for many years now, perhaps this parish has since closed?

Fr. David

I think it might be... That used to be the old St. Mary's Romanian Orthodox Church before they moved to Warren Road, I think. Now I'm not sure, but I thought the Cleveland Public Theatre had that property now.

Originally Posted by Edward Yong
i am here! as i recall, that's an RC church in Hong Kong, and the DL was a once-off special event. the chief celebrant was indeed Fr Oleksander Kenez of Melbourne, of the Ukrainian GCs.

Yes, and thank you. This seems to be the idea that a Ruthenian Church had here, this was last year's Divine Liturgy held at a Roman Church from them (St. Joseph's BCC DL at St. Basil's RCC):

Seems like I'm going to be at this year's, weather permitting.

Last edited by 8IronBob; 01/13/13 02:19 PM.
Ed Klages had made a beautiful set of icons for a portable iconastasis when the Ruthenian mission was active in Knoxville TN

Now from weird iconostases, to perhaps the best looking iconostases I've seen, and I think these are almost identical... Now here's the iconostasis from the ACROD Cathedral of Christ Our Saviour in Johnstown, PA, which, imo, is certainly quite one of the prettiest I've seen to date:

[Linked Image] [imageshack.us]

Compare this to the iconostasis from the Byzantine Catholic Cultural Center in Tremont neighborhood here in Cleveland, Ohio:

[Linked Image] [imageshack.us]

I'm not sure what kind of style these are based from, but I like the ivory "rope" look to these. I'm guessing this was more traditional than the wood iconostases?

Last edited by 8IronBob; 01/21/13 09:52 PM.
Watching through some YouTube videos, I'm not sure if the iconostasis was linked from here in this thread or not, but I've never seen deacon doors with that "half-circle" icon look before. This is from St. Melany in Tuscon, circa St. Nicholas Day, 2008:

Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  theophan 

Link Copied to Clipboard
The Byzantine Forum provides message boards for discussions focusing on Eastern Christianity (though discussions of other topics are welcome). The views expressed herein are those of the participants and may or may not reflect the teachings of the Byzantine Catholic or any other Church. The Byzantine Forum and the www.byzcath.org site exist to help build up the Church but are unofficial, have no connection with any Church entity, and should not be looked to as a source for official information for any Church. All posts become property of byzcath.org. Contents copyright - 1996-2024 (Forum 1998-2023). All rights reserved.