The Byzantine Forum
Newest Members
Annapolis Melkites, Daniel Hoseiny, PaulV, ungvar1900, Donna Zoll
5,993 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 333 guests, and 42 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Photos
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
by orthodoxsinner2, September 30
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
by Veronica.H, April 24
Byzantine Catholic Outreach of Iowa
Exterior of Holy Angels Byzantine Catholic Parish
Church of St Cyril of Turau & All Patron Saints of Belarus
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics35,393
Posts416,749
Members5,993
Most Online3,380
Dec 29th, 2019
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
OP Offline
I'm planning on attending my first Maronite Qurbono within the next week or so. As I have never worshipped in a Maronite church before I want to make sure I don't make any blunders, so I'm looking for any guidance that anyone familiar with the Maronite Liturgy might be good enough to offer.

What sort of reverence is expected upon entering and leaving the church? Does it matter what side of the church one sits on (the Copts, for example, seat males on the left and females on the right)? How does one approach for communion? How do Maronites make the sign of the cross? Is there an exchange of peace, and if so, how does it go? What else should a Latin Rite visitor be aware of?

Inquiring minds want to know.

Well, I know in the Russian Church, the women sit on the left, and must wear veils, and the men in their suits and ties sit on the right, but since Maronite is Lebanese (or was it the Melkites? I get those two confuzzled so easily). I was at St. Elias Melkite Catholic Church here in Brooklyn, OH, and attended a Divine Liturgy during their Labor Day Weekend festival, and I'm trying to remember exactly how the Melkites did everything... I'm sure the Maronites are pretty similar. I'll have to study up on Maronite etiquette, you bring up an interesting point.

E
Za myr z'wysot ...
Za myr z'wysot ...
E
Roman,

The Maronite parish in my area gets a lot of Roman Catholics, so their practices are probably somewhat Romanized, but most people geuflect, kneel and do things much the same as in a Roman parish.

One of the most interesting details of the Maronite Qurbono is the exchange of peace. The priest starts this by passing it to the servers, who in turn pass it on to the faithful along the main aisle. The person who receives it from the server then passes it to the next person, and so on to the end of the row. The person giving peace presents his/her hands joined together to the next person, who briefly clasps them with both hands, then turns and does the same.

Peace,
Deacon Richard

OP Offline
Originally Posted by Epiphanius
One of the most interesting details of the Maronite Qurbono is the exchange of peace. The priest starts this by passing it to the servers, who in turn pass it on to the faithful along the main aisle. The person who receives it from the server then passes it to the next person, and so on to the end of the row. The person giving peace presents his/her hands joined together to the next person, who briefly clasps them with both hands, then turns and does the same.

That sounds very similar to the "holy kiss" of the Coptic Orthodox Church. They do the same hand clasp, however the worshiper offering the peace kisses his own finger tips first before clasping the recipient's hand. The recipient likewise kisses his own finger tips after receiving the peace, before offering the holy kiss to the next worshiper.

I'll be honest, I never liked the exchange of peace (in the Roman Rite) until I experienced it this way, which I find both reverent and touching (no pun intended). I've actually found myself offering the peace this way to others when I attend Mass during the week. I imagine it slightly bewilders people, but I hope it also demonstrates that there is a better way of doing it apart from the typical American "hiya, fellah" handshake or a wave. Perhaps it will catch on. wink

You're right about that one. It's because of the "exchange of peace" bit that led me back to the Byzantine Rite, since I got so fed up with hoping everyone around me would shake hands in exchange of peace. Not to mention that half the people around me in the RC Church where I've attended don't even want to exchange peace, which is sad.

Originally Posted by 8IronBob
You're right about that one. It's because of the "exchange of peace" bit that led me back to the Byzantine Rite, since I got so fed up with hoping everyone around me would shake hands in exchange of peace. Not to mention that half the people around me in the RC Church where I've attended don't even want to exchange peace, which is sad.

hmmmm ... .another hmmm.. I thought we couldn't partake of the mystical supper if we didn't do an exchange of peace, once..

I like the kiss of peace, as done in the OCA parish, I attend for vespers; and an occasional liturgy, when I can make it. I find it really reverent.

I know... I like the Kiss of Peace during the Matins at St. John's Cathedral, at least in the Ruthenian Church, kissing of the icon, the gospel book, and the cross upon the ambon pedestal is usually customary. So that I think does mean a lot. I'm guessing that's the kiss of peace?

Originally Posted by 8IronBob
I know... I like the Kiss of Peace during the Matins at St. John's Cathedral, at least in the Ruthenian Church, kissing of the icon, the gospel book, and the cross upon the ambon pedestal is usually customary. So that I think does mean a lot. I'm guessing that's the kiss of peace?

The kiss of peace is done, before saying the Our Father, IIRC. We kiss left, right left (cheek), of the person to our right. And that's how I greet some of the other parishioners, before, or after vespers, at St. Nicholas Orthodox.

Ah, duh, yes, yes... I must have been thinking something else. Sorry.

M
M
Originally Posted by Roman Interloper
I'm planning on attending my first Maronite Qurbono within the next week or so. As I have never worshipped in a Maronite church before I want to make sure I don't make any blunders, so I'm looking for any guidance that anyone familiar with the Maronite Liturgy might be good enough to offer.

What sort of reverence is expected upon entering and leaving the church? Does it matter what side of the church one sits on (the Copts, for example, seat males on the left and females on the right)? How does one approach for communion? How do Maronites make the sign of the cross? Is there an exchange of peace, and if so, how does it go? What else should a Latin Rite visitor be aware of?

Inquiring minds want to know.

OK, I'll give this a go:

• The standard reverence on entering is a deep bow, although you will see some who genuflect.
  • There is no differentiation in seating.
  • The Sign of the Cross is right-to-left, the same as with all Orientals.
    the "kiss of Peace" is the same as with the Chaldeans: the "giver" holds both hands together (in the "praying hands" pose) and he "receiver" puts both hands over.

What else? In most cases, I fear that any Latin used to the Novus Ordo will feel right at home. There will most likely be a versus populum table instead of an ad orientem altar. There will also most likely be some sort of Novus Ordo-style "offertory procession" (which is an abomination, but I digress). And there may even be a Novus Ordo-style "prayer of the faithful" instead of (or combined with) the diptychs (another abomination but again I digress).

In short, most Latins who are accustomed to the Novus Ordo will feel quite comfortable. frown

OP Offline
Originally Posted by malphono
OK, I'll give this a go:

• The standard reverence on entering is a deep bow, although you will see some who genuflect.
  • There is no differentiation in seating.
  • The Sign of the Cross is right-to-left, the same as with all Orientals.
    the "kiss of Peace" is the same as with the Chaldeans: the "giver" holds both hands together (in the "praying hands" pose) and he "receiver" puts both hands over.

What else? In most cases, I fear that any Latin used to the Novus Ordo will feel right at home. There will most likely be a versus populum table instead of an ad orientem altar. There will also most likely be some sort of Novus Ordo-style "offertory procession" (which is an abomination, but I digress). And there may even be a Novus Ordo-style "prayer of the faithful" instead of (or combined with) the diptychs (another abomination but again I digress).

Thanks, Malphono; that's helpful.

In short, most Latins who are accustomed to the Novus Ordo will feel quite comfortable. frown

Well, it's true, I suppose, that it is all too often the case that the celebration of the "Novus Ordo" leaves something to be desired. My exposure of late to Eastern liturgy has really highlighted the disappointments that frequently come with the contemporary liturgy of the Roman Catholic Church (on account of abuse or carelessness, rather than anything inherent in the rite, itself).

I have seen the Mass celebrated beautifully, however, and when it is celebrated properly, it makes an enormous difference (unlike, for example, the Tridentine Mass in Latin, which always seems rather cold and alienating to me, regardless of whether it is celebrated well or poorly).

If it turns out that the Maronite liturgy is anything like a properly celebrated "Novus Ordo" Mass, I imagine I'll be delighted by it.

Not to derail this thread, but a very Traditional Maronite Liturgy would look very close to this:
https://www.byzcath.org/forums/ubbt...oly_Qurbono_live_and_recorded#Post390102

Moderated by  Administrator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
The Byzantine Forum provides message boards for discussions focusing on Eastern Christianity (though discussions of other topics are welcome). The views expressed herein are those of the participants and may or may not reflect the teachings of the Byzantine Catholic or any other Church. The Byzantine Forum and the www.byzcath.org site exist to help build up the Church but are unofficial, have no connection with any Church entity, and should not be looked to as a source for official information for any Church. All posts become property of byzcath.org. Contents copyright - 1996-2024 (Forum 1998-2023). All rights reserved.