Newest Members
sfrank, Vladimir40, Petrova, 179, Jason Huck
4948 Registered Users
Who's Online
8 registered (2lungsambassador, Slavophile, Peter J, griego catolico, Fr. Jon, lmier, 2 invisible), 101 Guests and 18 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Photos
Recent Ecumenical Gesture
Holy Thursday Altar of Repose
ByzFANtium: An Icon-covered ceiling fans (Part II)
ByzFANtium:  An Icon-covered cieling fan
Does this look right?
Forum Stats
4948 Members
26 Forums
32718 Topics
397965 Posts

Max Online: 2716 @ 06/07/12 04:10 PM
Topic Options
#390126 - 01/24/13 08:57 PM Epistle and Gospel Readings for Sunday 27 Jan
Our Lady's slave Offline

Loc: Glasgow, Scotland
I am talking Julian Calendar usage here

For us this will be the 34th Sunday after Pentecost and I have a problem identifying the readings to be used .

So far I have found , according to St John of Kronstadt Press Calendar, that the 34th Sunday Epistle is 1 Timothy 1: 15 - 17 ( pericope 280 ) and the Gospel is Luke 18 : 35 - 43 ( pericope 93)

However Choir Cues for Old Calendar [ which I get each week ] gives the Epistle as Colossians 3 : 12 - 16 ( Pericope 258) and the Gospel as Luke 18 : 18 - 27 ( Pericope 91)
They apparently use the St Innocent Press Calendar

Now we do have several weeks before the Sunday of Zacchaeus so I need to know which Readings to prepare.

Can anyone please explain how it is decided which Readings are used during this period , and tell me which Readings I should use from now until the start of the Great Fast.

Thank you smile

#390140 - 01/25/13 07:03 AM Re: Epistle and Gospel Readings for Sunday 27 Jan [Re: Our Lady's slave]
Fr David Straut Offline

Loc: New Jersey
The following was posted by Reader Daniel Olson, the Editor of the SJKP Liturgical Calendar:

> Epistle:
> Colossians 3:12-16 (258)
>
> Gospel:
> Luke 18:18-27 (91)

These two readings have apparently been taken from the St. Innocent Press Liturgical Calendar for 2013.

It should be noted that these readings were read previously in December of last year. The Epistle was read on 10/23 December 2012, and the Gospel was read on 3/16 December 2012.

So as to avoid the unnecessary repetition of the readings, the following readings would be better choices:

a. I Tim 1:15-17 ( 280 from the mid point)

b. Luke18:35-43 ( 93)

These two readings are listed in the Online Menologion <http://www.ponomar.net/cgi-bin/menologion.cgi>>, which is quite a valuable resource created by the Ponomar Project.

Daniel Olson

#390142 - 01/25/13 07:38 AM Re: Epistle and Gospel Readings for Sunday 27 Jan [Re: Fr David Straut]
Our Lady's slave Offline

Father David , Bless

Thanks for that - the SJKP Readings are what I/we normally use - which is why I was thrown off balance by the Choir Cues version.

Now to satisfy my own curiosity about this, [ yes I'm awkward about some things ] I need to know how it is decided which readings should be used during these weeks when we have more weeks between the end of Theophany
and the 'run up' to the Great Fast than the Gregorian Calendar folk.

#390158 - 01/25/13 03:56 PM Re: Epistle and Gospel Readings for Sunday 27 Jan [Re: Our Lady's slave]
Fr David Straut Offline

Originally Posted By: Our Lady's slave
Father David , Bless

Thanks for that - the SJKP Readings are what I/we normally use - which is why I was thrown off balance by the Choir Cues version.

Now to satisfy my own curiosity about this, [ yes I'm awkward about some things ] I need to know how it is decided which readings should be used during these weeks when we have more weeks between the end of Theophany
and the 'run up' to the Great Fast than the Gregorian Calendar folk.

The Lord bless you.

I think that the Typikon provides general guidance that must be interpreted year by year by experienced Ustavniks because of the staggering number of variables. It's not just how many Sundays intervene between the Paschas, but such factors as the 'Lucan Jump,' and what day of the week key fixed Feasts fall (i.e. the Exaltation of the Cross, the Nativity of the Lord, and the Theophany of the Lord) because they have special Readings the Sundays before and after. Unlike the contemporary Greek Typikon, the Russian Ustav is loathe to leave out any Sunday Readings and so there are often two (or even three) sets of readings appointed for a given Sunday. When there are more Sundays between Paschas, there is no or less doubling; and when there are less Sundays, there is more doubling. Because the Typikon does not spell everything out, there are legitimate differences in the application of its principles to different years. Even most priests do not understand these things and so simply follow what is published by their Diocese, Jurisdiction, or competent authority.

Fr David

#390159 - 01/25/13 03:59 PM Re: Epistle and Gospel Readings for Sunday 27 Jan [Re: Our Lady's slave]
Fr David Straut Offline

The following was posted by Fr John Whiteford, the Editor of the St Innocent's Liturgical Calendar:

Just to clarify. The St. Innocent Calendar tries as much as possible to mirror what is in the Jordanville Calendar. We do this for the sake of uniformity. In some parishes, some people may be using one calendar, while others may be using the other. Also, we have been told by Bishop Peter of cases in which bishops have complained of preparing one sermon based on one Gospel and/or reading, only to have another Gospel reading actually read.

In this case, the readings we called for are what the Jordanville Calendar has, and also what the MP calendar has: http://www.patriarchia.ru/bu/2013-01-27/

I have learned over the years that Daniel Olson knows what he is talking about, and I can't think of any instance in which he has taken a different view on the rubrics in which he did not have very good reasons behind his decision. And so I don't think the readings he suggests are at all inappropriate. But that is why we have the ones that we have.

Presbyter John Whiteford

#390163 - 01/25/13 04:45 PM Re: Epistle and Gospel Readings for Sunday 27 Jan [Re: Our Lady's slave]
Our Lady's slave Offline

Ah well - I've now plenty of information about this .

Believe it or not as yet I've no idea what the Ukrainian Readings will be - so obviously I'll take both sets on Sunday and ask Father which are to be used - he's the boss wink

Moderator:  Administrator, Father Anthony 

The Byzantine Forum provides message boards for discussions focusing on Eastern Christianity (though discussions of other topics are welcome). The views expressed herein are those of the participants and may or may not reflect the teachings of the Byzantine Catholic or any other Church. The Byzantine Forum and the www.byzcath.org site exist to help build up the Church but are unofficial, have no connection with any Church entity, and should not be looked to as a source for official information for any Church. Contents copyright - 1996-2014. All rights reserved.