The Byzantine Forum
Newest Members
Annapolis Melkites, Daniel Hoseiny, PaulV, ungvar1900, Donna Zoll
5,993 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
1 members (NathanJA), 395 guests, and 36 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Photos
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
by orthodoxsinner2, September 30
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
by Veronica.H, April 24
Byzantine Catholic Outreach of Iowa
Exterior of Holy Angels Byzantine Catholic Parish
Church of St Cyril of Turau & All Patron Saints of Belarus
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics35,393
Posts416,749
Members5,993
Most Online3,380
Dec 29th, 2019
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 11 of 13 1 2 9 10 11 12 13
A
A
The Code of Canons of the Eastern Churches (CCEO) is 90 percent identical to the Latin Church's Code of Canon Law (CIC), and as such it does not represent an authentic witness to the canonical tradition of the Eastern Churches.

U
U
Originally Posted by Apotheoun
The Code of Canons of the Eastern Churches (CCEO) is 90 percent identical to the Latin Church's Code of Canon Law (CIC), and as such it does not represent an authentic witness to the canonical tradition of the Eastern Churches.

I would agree with that. I think most would agree that they are provisional at best and would be completely recast if a communion with the mother Orthodox churches were to occur.

S
S
Or just dropped. There is no need for a code of canons at all. The Church, in fact, got on perfectly well without one for almost 1900 years.

U
U
Originally Posted by StuartK
Or just dropped. There is no need for a code of canons at all. The Church, in fact, got on perfectly well without one for almost 1900 years.

I assume you mean the "code" and not the "canons". The term "Rudder" does convey a softer, gentler, more caring pastorate for which we are all in need.

C
C
Originally Posted by Utroque

I assume you mean the "code" and not the "canons". The term "Rudder" does convey a softer, gentler, more caring pastorate for which we are all in need.

But the Rudder is not really a systematic code of canons. Many canons from the Rudder go completely unobserved (and have been unobserved for many centuries) without a single complaint. The purpose of the Rudder is much different, I would say.

M
M
CONTINUED (someone e-mailed me recently about his concerns on this topic, so I felt obliged to move up my time table and respond to the rest of brother Isa's posts)

I would presume that your supreme pontiff's promulgation of his code of canon law surpasses the exercise of "magisterium" in a general audience, he dictating in the former that:
Can. 331 The bishop of the Roman Church, in whom continues the office given by the Lord uniquely to Peter, the first of the Apostles, and to be transmitted to his successors, is the head of the college of bishops, the Vicar of Christ, and the pastor of the universal Church on earth. By virtue of his office he possesses supreme, full, immediate, and universal ordinary power in the Church, which he is always able to exercise freely.
I'm not sure how you perceive this Canon "surpasses the exercise of the magisterium in a general audience." This canon comes straight out of the Decrees of the first Vatican COUNCIL.

Can. 333 �1. [/i]By virtue of his office, the Roman Pontiff not only possesses power over the universal Church but also obtains the primacy of ordinary power over all particular churches and groups of them.[/i]
�3. No appeal or recourse is permitted against a sentence or decree of the Roman Pontiff.
I assume you intend for this excerpt from the Canons to prove the Pope has ABSOLUTE, UNILATERAL authority? So you intentionally excise �2 of this Canon to prove your point? Are you trying to purposefully demonstrate to the readers here that the Absolutist Petrine perspective depends on taking snippets out of our magisterial texts devoid of even their immediate context wink?
Here is �2 of Canon 333 that you purposefully neglected to include:
"In fulfilling the office of supreme pastor of the Church, the Roman Pontiff is ALWAYS joined in communion with the other bishops and with the universal Church. He nevertheless has the right, according to the needs of the Church, to determine the manner, whether personal or collegial, of exercising this office."
So, taken in FULL context, the Canon positively asserts that the primacy of ordinary power can ONLY be exercised while the Pope is in communion with the other bishops and with the universal Church, and that it can only be exercised according to the needs of the Church. Nothing here about the Pope being able to unilaterally impose laws and decrees on the Church at his mere discretion apart from or separated from his brother bishops. As expressed several times, and which you have amply demonsrated, the canards against the Catholic teaching are based on myopic excisions of selective texts to create a monstrous caricature of the Catholic faith.

There is also another very important point about the texts you have quoted that is the source of much misunderstanding. As asserted (and proven, perhaps inadvertantly, by you), the Absolutist Petrine distortion of Catholic teaching depends on myopic snippets being taken out of their context. A particular portion of the texts is often bandied about - wrenched out not only from the immediate context of the Canons, but also from the general teaching of the Catholic Church - that has given rise to a tremendously huge misunderstanding. Namely, it is the expression "primacy of ordinary power."

When I was not yet in the Catholic communion, I always understood the term "ordinary" when applied to a bishop to mean that he is the usual and normative authority in the local Church. After all, that is what "ordinary" means in common parlance. But I discovered that in Catholic canonical language, that is not case. "Ordinary," in Catholic canonical usage, only means "inherent." To a non-Catholic, the phrase "primacy of ordinary power" will mean that the Pope is the usual and normative ruler of any single diocese. But that is NOT what it means. Rather, it literally only means that the Pope has a primacy of "inherent" power. It is called "ordinary" because if and when it needs to be used, the power is inherently that person's to use, and he needs no one else's permission to use it. The jurisdiction of every <head bishop> (be he metropolitan, patriarch, or Pope) in any particular diocese within his plenary territorial jurisdiction is regarded as "ordinary" in Catholic ecclesiology. But no <head bishop> (be he metropolitan, patriarch, or Pope) has the authority to impede the ordinary authority of any local <bishop> in that bishop's own diocese. In practical terms, the <head bishop> can ONLY use his ordinary power for a local diocese not his own if the bishop of that local diocese (1) appeals to him or (2) has been impeded in his duties for his diocese (e.g., by heresy, absence, imprisonment by the secular power, etc.). In these extenuating circumstances, and ONLY in these extenuating circumstnaces, it is the inherent (i.e., "ordinary") power of the <head bishop> to care for the local diocese, and he does not need anyone's permission to perform that responsibility. So, to repeat, the expression "primacy of ordinary power" does not mean the Pope has the authority to daily and/or normatively intervene in the affairs of a local diocese (in effect replacing the local bishop), contrary to the pretensions of Absolutist Petrine advocates, and the misapprehensions of "non-"Catholics.

It should be noted that there IS a term used in Catholic Canonical language to denote what non-Catholics would mean when non-Catholics use the term "ordinary" -- namely, it is the term "PROPER." Any non-Catholic who will bother to investigate the Canons of the Catholic Church will notice that while the jurisdiction of the Pope and any other head bishop is regarded as "ordinary" for every local diocese within their respective plenary jurisdictions, just like the jurisdiction of a local bishop for his diocese, it is ONLY the local bishop that has what is called PROPER jurisdiction in his local diocese.

So yes, your supreme pontiff issues a disclaimer
A disclaimer that holds true to its intent and the intent of the Canons.

Archbishop Scherr, of Munich, was a personal friend of Dr. Dollinger, and was at first one of the opponents of the dogma of infallibility...
I'm not sure what the point is about Archbishop Scherr. If you were just citing that portion to provide a greater context for the portions you highlighted, that's fine, and no need to explain.

On a subsequent occasion, I asked Dr. DOllinger if he thought the Bishop of Rottenourg (Dr. Hefele) would end by accepting the dogma. The case was in one way a crucial one. As an authority on the historical bearings of the question, Hefele was the best equipped man at the Council. His masterly "History of the Councils " is accepted as the standard authority on all hands. Not only did he oppose the dogma at the Vatican Council, but during the sitting of the Council he published, through the Neapolitan press, a pamphlet against it, basing his opposition on the example of Honorius as a test case. Perrone, the great theologian of the Roman College, and a strong Infallibilist, has laid it down in his standard work on "Dogmatic Theology," that if only one pope can be proved to have given, ex cathedrd, a heterodox decision on faith or morals, the whole doctrine collapses. Hefele accordingly took the case of Honorius, and proved that this pope had been condemned as a heretic by popes and oecumenical councils. Pennachi, professor of church history in Rome, replied to Hefele, and Hefele returned to the charge in a rejoinder so powerful that he was left master of the field. If therefore Hefele, so honest as well as so able and learned, accepted the dogma, it was not likely that any other bishop of the minority would hold out.
Is this the kind of information you have read that causes you to believe you know enough about the context of the background debates at the Council? If so, these sources of information are rather jaundiced, and actually misleading.

First of all, note that while the article indicates that Hefele accepted the challenge of demonstrating that the Pope had given a heterodox decision ex cathedra, he actually did no such thing. What Hefele did at the Council was present evidence that the Pope was condemned as a heretic, but he did nothing to prove that Pope Honorius had given an ex cathedra decision on the matter.

Secondly, my own sources reveal that Bishop Hefele gave indications during the debates what it would take for him to accept the Decrees, and that most of his conditions were in fact met. Naturally, one has to wonder why bishop Hefele and other bishops held out so long after the promulgation of the Decrees. One can only speculate. On the very important issue of introducing a clause into the dogma that all the bishops must be consulted for an ex cathedra decree to be regarded infallible, Hefele conceded that such a condition was a practical impossibility. Hefele's primary concern was that the dogma on infallibility as it was made it seem as if the Pope's infalllibility and its exercise thereof was independant of or separated from the Church. The Fathers of the CommitteeDe Fide added the historic Proem to Pastor Aeternus to meet this concern (which was, of course, an issue not just with Hefele, but many other bishops, both from the Minority and Majority Parties). Many bishops saw this as a sufficient safeguard, but others did not, and would have preferred that the Tradition expressed in the historic Proem was contained in the dogma itself. There was also, and most importantly, the addition of the clause "not from the consent of the Church" into the dogma itself. This clause was in fact added to the text in the same round of discussions as when the historic Proem was added to the text. I have no doubt that this simultaneous addition is what caused certain bishops (such as Hefele) to feel that the historic Proem could not achieve its intended purpose. But the reason for adding the historic Proem was very different from the reason for adding the clause "not from the consent of the Church." Those respective reasons were not diametrically opposed, so the addition of the controversial clause did not invalidate the addition of the historic Proem. That is why you need a good knowledge of the background discussions/debates to properly assess the text of Pastor Aeternus. My impression is that your own sources have not provided you with such knowledge, which would explain why our respective positions are different. If you want to continue this particular line of the discussion, please do so in the thread I started on the historic Proem. I think a discussion on infallibility is not within the scope of this thread, which is a discussion on the Primacy.

Thirdly, it should be pointed out that despite the complaints by detractors of V1 that the procedural process was stacked in favor of papal control by the Majority Party, it was actually Hefele who had provided the procedure (Hefele was one of the main coordinators of the Council). It was simply practical, in Hefele's consideration, that such a council - the largest one in history so far - would need a single, coordinating authority to settle procedural matters.

You made a comment earlier about the "revisionism" of Hefele by Catholics. It is actually your sources that are guilty of this, mostly by leaving out important details of Hefele's role, involvement, and statements at the Council.

"He must yield," said Dr. Dollinger to me, three months after the prorogation of the Vatican Council, "or resign his see. His quinquennial faculties have expired and the pope refuses to renew them until Hefele accepts the decree. At this moment there are nineteen couples of rank in his diocese who cannot get married because they are within the forbidden degrees, and Hefele cannot grant them dispensations." "But since he denies the pope's infallibility," I asked, "why does he not himself grant the necessary dispensations?" "My friend," replied Dollinger, "you forget that the members of the Church of Rome have been brought up in the belief that a dispensation is not valid without these papal faculties, and a marriage under any other dispensation would not be acknowledged in society." The event proved that DSllinger was right. The quinquennial faculties are a tremendous power in the hands of the pope. They are, in fact, papal licenses, renewed every five years, which enable the bishops to exercise extraordinary episcopal functions that ordinarily belong to the pope, such as the power of absolving from heresy, schism, apostasy, secret crime (except murder), from vows, obligations of fasting, prohibition of marriage within the prohibited degrees, and also the power to permit the reading of prohibited books. It is obvious that the extinction of the quinquennial faculties in a diocese means the paralysis in a short time of its ordinary administration. It amounts to a sort of modified interdict. And so Dr. Hefele soon discovered. The dogma was proclaimed in the Vatican Council on the iSth of July, 1870, and on the 10th of the following April Hefele submitted. But he was too honest to let it be inferred that his submission was due to any change of conviction. He deemed it his duty to submit in spite of his convictions, because "the peace and unity of the Church is so great a good that great and heavy personal sacrifices may be made for it." Bishop Strossmayer held out longest of all; but he yielded at last, so far as to allow the dogma to be published in the official gazette of his diocese during his absence in Rome. Nevertheless, he remained to the last on the most friendly terms with Dr. Dollinger, and it was to a letter from Dr. Dollinger that I was indebted for a most interesting visit to Bishop Strossmayer in Croatia in 1876.
So, what faculties does a bishop have that he does not receive from your supreme pontiff? What rights does the local bishop have that your supreme pontiff cannot impede at any moment, with no recourse left to the bishop?
Well, first of all, it must be stressed that Bishop Hefele did not accept the Decrees in order to receive the quinquennial faculties.

Secondly, Bishop Hefele, while initially disagreeing with the dogma of "papal infallibility," in fact had little problem with the dogma on the Primacy.

Thirdly, the whole conversation recorded in the quote demonstrates a lack of understanding of Catholic theology. The quinquennial faculties having nothing to do with doctrine, but are canonical/disciplinary prerogatives. They have nothing to do with "papal infallibility." Dollinger's friend was utterly incorrect to assume that just because Hefele did not believe in infallibility, then Hefele should go ahead and grant the dispensations. Dollinger, despite his status, was utterly incorrect to respond that the granting of quinquennial faculties has anything to do with the validity of sacraments. Likewise, the author of that excerpt was utterly incorrect to say that the quinquennial faculties allows the bishop to absolve from the sins he enumerated. What the quinquennial faculties do is not to grant the power to absolve from those sins (which is already the inherent right of every bishop), but to allow a bishop to grant dispensations from the normal canonical penalties attached to those particular sins.

Fourthly, your question "what faculties does a bishop have" would demonstrate a like misunderstanding of the quinquennial faculties. As mentioned in an earlier post, the sanctifying power is equal among bishops, and it is greater than the power of jurisdiction. The Pope has no authority to take away the sanctifying power of a bishop (which would, in fact, include many, and the most important, of a bishop's functions).

Here is an assessment from a book regarding faculties of bishops and priests:
"However, the significance of this distorted pyramidal ecclesiology [due to the granting of quinquennial faculties] should not be exaggerated. Even under the 1917 Code, the bishop had many powers in law and by holy orders that did not need to be delegated by the Holy See. In fact, most faculties granted to priests on the diocesan pagellae of the time were not received from the Holy See and then subdelegated by the bishop. Instead, they were episcopal faculties, ones that the bishop could grant on his own authority." (John Huels, Empowerment for Ministry, p.6)

Fifthly, AFAIK, the granting of quinquennial faculties appear under the canonical law of the Latin Church, and have never applied to non-Latin Churches. (Contrary to popular opinion, the 1917 Code only applied to the Latin Church, not the Eastern or Oriental Catholic Churches; there were some parts of the Code that regulated the relationship between Latin and non-Latin Christians, but its provisions were for non-Latins within the Latin territories, not the Eastern or Oriental traditional jurisdictions. It is possible, of course, that bishops within Metropolitan sui juris Churches that were created in the traditional Latin territories were granted quinquennial faculties by default, the Churches having been created through the personal authority of the bishop of Rome. However, this would not apply to bishops within the traditional non-Latin jurisdictions.)

Sixthly, most of the prerogatives that were given with the quinquennial faculties were in fact restored to the Latin bishops (or bishops under the canonical jurisdiction of the bishop of Rome) at V2.

Originally Posted by mardukm
You have to understand that perhaps 98% of my studies in the process of my decision to join the Catholic communion came not from Catholic theologians, but from Catholic Magisterial sources. Most Catholic theological material comes from Latin Catholics, many with an Absolutist Petrine perspective. But my knowledge, as stated, was informed by Catholic Magisterial sources, not popular lay apologetic and theological sources.
Oh? And what sources bearing the imprimatur and nihil obstat of your "magisterium" taught you the distinctions between "Absolute," "High," and "Low" "Petrine views"?
Pastor Aeternus, the official Relatio of Vatican 1, The Vatican Council 1869-1870 (Dom Cuthbert Butler, Newman Press), the old Catholic Encyclopedia.

For example (among many), my knowledge of "Purgatory" came from Magisterial sources such as the Councils of Trent and Florence, not popular theological sources, so I've never imbibed the popular Latin theologoumena regarding "Purgatory" (e.g., purgatorial fire, purgatorial punishment, accounting of time, etc., etc.) as part of my Catholic consciousness.
Fr. Ambrose has answered you on this. For me to do so here would send us perhaps on a tangent, when already the debate is prolix. I will say, I've never found the concept of "theologoumena" in scholastic theology.
I don't recall Fr. Ambrose demonstrating that I, as an Oriental, am bound to accept scholastic theology. I don't recall Fr. Ambrose presenting any evidence from magisterial sources that I, as an Oriental, must believe any of those Latin theologoumena.

And, as your Vatican II re-iterated, the "college of bishops" never acts-or even exist-without its head (according to Lumen Gentium), your supreme pontiff. So even if they didn't share "Pio Nono'"s "Absolutist Petrine tendencies," they were, under the dogmatic constitutions of your ecclesiastical community, powerless to oppose them.
Even before I joined the Catholic communion, I was already suspecting the utter inconsistency of this argument. The ancient Apostolic Canon 34 states that the body of bishops CANNOT act without their head involving matters that fall outside the immediate, proper jurisdiction of any single bishop. As pointed out earlier, even the Church historian Eusebius seems to have recognized that this Canon applies to the bishop of Rome in relation to all the Churches. Please explain your objection to the Vatican Council repeating the contents of this ancient Apostolic Canon in its decrees? Please explain why you believe Catholics should not adhere to this ancient Apostolic Canon?

Originally Posted by IAlmisry
Can you please point out exactly where Pastor Aeternus states that the Pope can
(1) act alone
I 2-4 II 1, 3
It was to Simon alone, to whom he had already said You shall be called Cephas, that the Lord, after his confession, You are the Christ, the son of the living God, spoke these words:Blessed are you, Simon Bar-Jona. For flesh and blood has not revealed this to you, but my Father who is in heaven. And I tell you, you are Peter, and on this rock I will build my Church, and the gates of the underworld shall not prevail against it. I will give you the keys of the kingdom of heaven, and whatever you bind on earth shall be bound in heaven, and whatever you loose on earth shall be loosed in heaven.
And it was to Peter alone that Jesus, after his resurrection, confided the jurisdiction of Supreme Pastor and ruler of his whole fold...
To this absolutely manifest teaching of the Sacred Scriptures, as it has always been understood by the Catholic Church, are clearly opposed the distorted opinions of those who misrepresent the form of government which Christ the lord established in his Church and deny that Peter, in preference to the rest of the apostles, taken singly or collectively, was endowed by Christ with a true and proper primacy of jurisdiction. That which our lord Jesus Christ, the prince of shepherds and great shepherd of the sheep, established in the blessed apostle Peter, for the continual salvation and permanent benefit of the Church, must of necessity remain for ever, by Christ's authority, in the Church which, founded as it is upon a rock, will stand firm until the end of time...Therefore whoever succeeds to the chair of Peter obtains by the institution of Christ himself, the primacy of Peter over the whole Church. So what the truth has ordained stands firm, and blessed Peter perseveres in the rock-like strength he was granted, and does not abandon that guidance of the Church which he once received
confused Where does it say here that the Pope can act alone? All it says is that St. Peter alone was given particular prerogatives (related to the Primacy), and that these prereogatives were passed on to his Successor in the primacy, the bishop of Rome. There's nothing there that states he can exercise these prerogatives unilaterally, separated from the Apostles (or his brother bishops), nor at his mere discretion. That's eisegesis, brother.

(2) any time he chooses

II 2, 4-5
no one can be in doubt, indeed it was known in every age that the holy and most blessed Peter, prince and head of the apostles, the pillar of faith and the foundation of the Catholic Church, received the keys of the kingdom from our lord Jesus Christ, the savior and redeemer of the human race, and that to this day and for ever he lives and presides and exercises judgment in his successors the bishops of the Holy Roman See...For this reason it has always been necessary for every Church--that is to say the faithful throughout the world--to be in agreement with the Roman Church because of its more effective leadership...Therefore, if anyone says that it is not by the institution of Christ the lord himself (that is to say, by divine law) that blessed Peter should have perpetual successors in the primacy over the whole Church; or that the Roman Pontiff is not the successor of blessed Peter in this primacy: let him be anathema.
confused All it says here is that St. Peter has a perpetual successor. Where does it say that the Pope can act any time he chooses at his mere discretion? That's eisegesis, brother.

(3) without collaboration

I 4-5
To this absolutely manifest teaching of the Sacred Scriptures, as it has always been understood by the Catholic Church, are clearly opposed the distorted opinions of those who misrepresent the form of government which Christ the lord established in his Church and deny that Peter, in preference to the rest of the apostles, taken singly or collectively, was endowed by Christ with a true and proper primacy of jurisdiction. The same may be said of those who assert that this primacy was not conferred immediately and directly on blessed Peter himself, but rather on the Church, and that it was through the Church that it was transmitted to him in his capacity as her minister.
confused All it says here is that (1) St. Peter alone was given the primacy, and (2) this primacy was not given by the Church, but by Christ directly through the succession of primacy. There's nothing here that states that St. Peter or the Pope can exercise the primacy without collaboration from the Apostles or the rest of the Church, respectively. That's eisegesis, brother.

(4) without consent,
III 2 IV 9
Wherefore we teach and declare that, by divine ordinance, the Roman Church possesses a pre-eminence of ordinary power over every other Church, and that this jurisdictional power of the Roman Pontiff is both episcopal and immediate. Both clergy and faithful, of whatever rite and dignity, both singly and collectively, are bound to submit to this power by the duty of hierarchical subordination and true obedience, and this not only in matters concerning faith and morals, but also in those which regard the discipline and government of the Church throughout the world...
One needs to take this in the context of the rest of the Church's Tradition. This authority that requires submission can ONLY be used in response to the needs of the Church, and ALWAYS in communion with his brother bishops. So it is by no means exercised at the mere and sole discretion of the Pope.

such definitions of the Roman Pontiff are of themselves, and not by the consent of the Church, irreformable[/i].
I won't express confused at this, because it is in fact perhaps the single greatest cause of confusion in the Decree. Please read the following explanation I gave from CAF: http://forums.catholic.com/showthread.php?t=709591
If you have any other questions upon reading that, please present them in the Historic Proem thread, since this issue of "consent" involves the matter of the infallibility, rather than the Primacy.

(5) without appeal.
III 8
The sentence of the Apostolic See (than which there is no higher authority) is not subject to revision by anyone, nor may anyone lawfully pass judgment thereupon. And so they stray from the genuine path of truth who maintain that it is lawful to appeal from the judgments of the Roman pontiffs to an ecumenical council as if this were an authority superior to the Roman Pontiff.
confused Please show us a single canon from the early Church that indicates that after appeal to the bishop of Rome, there was another higher authority to which someone could appeal. Until you provide such a canon, I'll maintain my incredulity at why an Orthodox would reject this statement from Pastor Aeternus. I will make a further comment on the final clause of this excerpt. The excerpt, contrary to the misconception of Absolutist Petrine advocates, does not say that no appeal to an Ecumenical Council can be made -- only that one cannot appeal to it as IF it were an authority superior to the Roman Pontiff. We know that Ecumenical Councils were called in the early Church when papal authority alone was not enough to settle the issue (e.g., the Fourth Ecum). But the ancient Apostolic Canon 34 dictates that such an action cannot be done without the consent of him who is recognized by the bishops to be their head. So it is indeed possible to appeal to an Ecumenical Council from a decision of the Pope, but since the Ecumenical Council would need to have the consent of the Pope, it cannot be considered to be an authority higher than the Pope. It's certainly imminently possible that within the context of an Ecumenical Council, the Pope can be convinced to change his decision (e.g., the Fifth Ecum). The main point is that the Ecumenical Council (as with any Council) as a body cannot be considered to have an authority that is above him who is regarded as the head of that body, since the decisions of that body requires, according to the most ancient Tradition of the Church, the consent of that head. The authority of the body and head are EQUAL, neither one intended by Christ or the Church to "lord it over" the other. It is, btw, another Absolutist Petrine distortion to claim that Pastor Aeternus states anywhere that the Pope is ABOVE an Ecumenical Council.

I admit that Pastor Aeternus explicitly states that the Pope can act anywhere in the Church universal (though that does not in the least mean he can do whatever he wants).
who could stop him?
That's a good question. I'll explain more below as I cover the events of Avignon and that general time period.

Pope Honorius of Rome being subject to Holy Tradition didn't work for his papacy.
That's an indefensible statement. Pope Honorius never taught monothelitism as the public Faith of the Church to anyone. This is proven by the facts of history. First of all, monothelitism was a heresy that affected only the Eastern portion of the Church, never the West. Secondly, there was no knowledge by any of the Fathers at the SIxth Ecum that any bishop in the Western Church believed, much less taught, monothelism. The only reason Pope Honorius' name even came into the picture was because Sergius brought forth the PRIVATE letter given to him by Pope Honorius.

When I think of "answerable," I mean being answerable to Sacred Tradition. which is the true judge in all matters.
In the operation of things, it judges nothing. It provides the standard by which things are judged.
That's a good way of putting exactly what I stated.

Things and persons are answerable to Holy Tradition, in that it consists of the life of Holy Spirit in the Church, and rejects what does not live in Him. The concept of a "Petrine office", however, sets itself up against such Receptionist concepts.
How so?

I think what you mean by "answerable" is being anwerable to a personal authority. In the Catholic Church, the authority of Sacred Tradition exhibits itself in what is known as "latae sententiae" excommunication - i.e., an excommunication by virtue of the law itself, not by a personal authority. Even the Pope is subject to this...he can indeed lose his status by virtue of latae sententiae excommunication.
Cite your authority for that.
"A similar exceptional situation might arise were a pope to become a public heretic, i.e., were he publicly and officially to teach some doctrine clearly opposed to what has been defined as de fide catholic�. But in this case many theologians hold that no formal sentence of deposition would be required, as, by becoming a public heretic, the pope would ipso facto cease to be pope." I hope you understand that the old Catholic Encyclopedia has the nihil obstat and imprimatur.

Because Pope Greogory VII's "Dictatus Papae" says otherwise:
That the Roman pontiff, if he have been canonically ordained, is undoubtedly made a saint by the merits of St. Peter; St. Ennodius, bishop of Pavia, bearing witness, and many holy fathers agreeing with him. As is contained in the decrees of St. Symmachus the pope.
interesting. And to prove that this has actually been the Tradition of the Catholic Church, then it must be the case that every Pope down to this day holds the title of Saint. Does the hagiographic Tradition of the Catholic Church - even the Latin Catholic Church - support or refute your claim? The fact that not every Pope has been considered a Saint even by the Latin Catholic Church demonstrates how silly it is to even attempt to claim that this extreme pov is actually Catholic teaching.

Bishops, including the Pope, are servants of Sacred Tradition, and they cannot act apart from or in contradiction to it.
Yeah, and Octavian restored the Roman Republic. At least his propaganda claimed so.
Please explain what the relevance of this for our discussion?

Pope Benedict VIII acted apart from and in contradiction to Holy Tradition when he, at the command of the German Emperor Henry II, inserted the filioque into the Creed of the rite of Rome, contradicting the silver placque that Pope Leo II hung on the Cathedral door upholding the Holy Tradition of the Fathers of the Ecumenical Councils.
Hardly. First of all, the very great majority of Churches in the West for a few centuries were already using filioque in their Creeds, even while in communion with their Eastern brethren.

Secondly, St. Maximos already affirmed the orthodoxy of filioque, so for those who understood that it was the Faith that mattered, and not the mere text, there was nothing contrary to Tradition about the insertion of filioque.

Thirdly, Pope Leo's action was meant specifically and only to counter Charlemagne's political ambitions over the Easterns, not to make any sort of canonical rule over the matter. Charlemagne wanted to extend his policial hegemony into the East, and wanted to use the Pope to further his ambitions. Consequently, he made a fuss about the fact that at the Seventh Ecum, the Creed professed by Patriarch St. Tarasius only used the clause "THROUGH the Son" instead of "AND the Son." He hoped to have an excuse to extend his control into Constantinople by accusing its Patriarch of heresy. As part of his plot, he asked the Pope to officially insert filioque (i.e., AND the Son) into the Creed. But the Pope saw through his scheme, and as a response to Charlemagne, he commissioned the plaques to be made.

Your "High Petrine" views does not hold that your supreme pontiff is impeccable, does it? So even in theory the possibility (not to mention the history) of a pope going astray must be entertained: what do you do then? Ultramontanism hasn't countenanced an answer to that.
Interesting comment. History has shown that Popes can be corrected, or even resign due to popular (laity + clerical) pressure. That would be the way it would be done. It's not contained in the canons, but it can be done. That's part of the Tradition of the Catholic Church. Your impression seems to be based on the misconception that when Pastor Aeternus speaks of no recourse to a decision by the Pope, that means the Pope can do anything he wants, when he wants, where he wants and no one can do anything about it. As demonstrated, that misconception resulted from the statements being wrenched out context regarding the Pope's role as JUDGE. There is absolutely nothing in Pastor Aeternus that states that the Pope cannot be corrected, or that it is wrong to resist a Pope who is most evidently tearing down the Church:
Just as it is licit to resist a Pontiff who attacks the body, so also is it licit to resist him who attacks souls or destroys the civil order or above all, tries to de�stroy the Church. I say that it is licit to resist him by not doing what he orders and by impeding the exe�cution of his will. It is not licit, however, to judge him, to punish him, or to depose him, for these are acts proper to a superior.�(St. Robert Bellarmine, De Romano Pontifice, II.29.)

There is a canonical way to get a Pope out of office, but it is not based on his actions; it would rather be based on a question of the legitimacy of his election. This was the canonical way Popes were removed from office from the 10th century onwards, AFAIK. If there was an especially evil Pope, one could question how he ever got into office in the first place. There could have been coercion involved, for example, which would illegitimize the election. I wonder if a case could be made on the basis of deception. I mean, the decision of the electors is based on their information and perception of the papabile. If their information and perception as to the character of a Pope was based on false information or deception, then it cannot have been a legitimately free decision (thus invalidating the election). Secular contractual law recognizes this distinction; I wonder if ecclesiastical law would recognize it. Interesting to ponder.

Though there is no canonical means to depose a Pope
see.
Then you cite a canon for it from the early Church. Btw, to be more concise, I meant "no canonical means to depose a Pope based on his actions." There is a canonical means, as already mentioned, based on a question of the legitimacy of his election. Popes can also resign due to popular pressure.

This occurred during the "babylonian captivity" of the Avignon papacy period. What occurred was that the College of Cardinals elected a new Pope, who called an Ecumenical Council, which then made a sentence based on the sacred canonical Tradition of the Church. The College itself did not have the canonical authority to judge the Pope, so that was the way it was done.

Uh, no. The council of Constance deposed Pope John XXIII (the original).
The next Pope had to confirm the matter for it to be completely valid.

It did make sentences based on the canonical tradition of the patriarchate of the West, but after the council of Basel, Ferrara and Florence, your supreme pontiffs repudiated them.
What did they repudiate? The canons? Please clarify.

I've read even in such a traditional Catholic source as the old Catholic Encyclopedia that the events that occurred during the Avignon period was not an aberration, but a legitimate exercise of conciliar authority in an extreme case.
Citation, please.
"...for the purpose of putting an end to the Great Western Schism and securing a certainly legitimate pope, the Council deposed John XXIII, whose election was considered doubtful, the other probably legitimate claimant, Gregory XII, having resigned. This was what might be described as an extra-constitutional crisis; and, as the Church has a right in such circumstances to remove reasonable doubt and provide a pope whose claims would be indisputable, even an acephalous council, supported by the body of bishops throughout the world, was competent to meet this altogether exceptional emergency without thereby setting up a precedent that could be erected into a regular constitutional rule, as the Gallicans wrongly imagined."

If a head bishop was "a necessary reality of the Church universal," the Book of Acts would emphasize his "reality" from beginning to end as St. Luke chronicled the Church's spread to the ends of the universe. But no head bishop as you-or, more importantly, your Pastor Aeternus-describes him, rears his head.
Well, the Apostles were not bishops, but the Apostles had a coryphaeus, which was St. Peter. The body of bishops down through the centuries simply inherited/inherits its ontological make-up from the Apostles, which was established by Christ Himself, by virtue of Apostolic Succession.
which being one, all bishops inherit from St. Peter and all the Apostles.
Scripture records that there was one among all the Apostles (who were together as one the authority for the Church universal) who held a position of primacy. So yes, according to your admission that what St. Peter and the other Apostles had was inherited by the bishops, there must be one who likewise holds this position of primacy among all the bishops.

St. Peter acted as coryphaeus, but when the Church ventured out of Jerusalem, he did not go of his own accord, but was sent (along with St. John) by the Apostles.
A sending that was made by agreement, not by imposition of authority.

Blessings

Last edited by mardukm; 02/05/13 01:57 PM.
I
I
I will, Lord willing, do mardukm the duty of response, but in the meantime, something of a leitmotif that can be quickly posted might do in the meantime.

The comment about "Patrairchate of the West" is an anachronism. There was no such distinction prior to the 4th Ecum, when the Council of Constantinople (with its novel claims for the Church of Constantinople) was finally accepted by the Eastern Church in general to have ecumenical force. So any bishop appealing to the bishop of Rome, from "West" or "East," prior to that time proves the point.

You and your Pastor Aeternus claim that "any bishop appealing to the bishop of Rome, from "West" or "East," prior to that time proves the point," without recognizing that by that standard any bishop making appeal to any bishop besides the bishop of Rome undermines your "point."

In the context, Bp. St. Basil of Caesarea (and by virtue of that office autocephalous Metropolitan of Caesarea, Exarch of Pontus, and Primate of Armenia) in 371 (i.e. LONG before the Fourth Ecumenical Council, and even before the Council of Constantinople I) is writing Bp. St. Athanasius of Alexandria (and by virtue of that office autocephalous Pope of Alexandria and All Egypt, Libya and the Pentapolis) about the see of the bishop of Antioch between the two (which had autocephaly and had been trying to consolidate that into jurisdiction over all the Praetorian Prefecture of the East, exercising oversight over Caesarea-and the rest of Asia Minor-and overlapping with Egypt in Sinai and Palestine). The exiles of Pope St. Athanasius were fading into the past, Alexandria enjoying for four years by then his uninterrupted leadership. The Emperor of the East, Valens, favored the Arians, but the senior Emperor Valentinian, in the West, upheld the Creed of Nicea. Valens had exiled Met. St. Meletius of Antioch, and a faction in the city had deposed him for Homoiousian leanings and elected a Paulinus to succeed him, consecrated by a bishop Lucifer of Calaris (in Sardinia) of the Abp. of Rome, who fully supported Paulinus and condemned Met. St. Meletius. The latter took to celebrating Divine Liturgy outside the city walls. Valens settled into Antioch and revived Arian persecution and exiled Met. St. Meletius again. Pope St. Athanasius supported Paulinus with Rome, but Met. St. Basil came to support Met. St. Meletius, whom he urged to write Pope St. Athanasius. In parrallel, Met. St. Basil wrote Pope St. Athanasius for the cause of Antioch:

ST. BASIL OF CAESAREA

To Athanasius, bishop of Alexandria.

No one, I feel sure, is more distressed at the present condition, or, rather to speak more truly, ill condition of the Churches than your excellency; for you compare the present with the past, and take into account how great a change has come about. You are well aware that if no check is put to the swift deterioration which we are witnessing, there will soon be nothing to prevent the complete transformation of the Churches. And if the decay of the Churches seems so pitiful to me, what must� so I have often in my lonely musings reflected� be the feelings of one who has known, by experience, the old tranquillity of the Churches of the Lord, and their one mind about the faith? But as your excellency feels most deeply this distress, it seems to me only becoming that your wisdom should be more strongly moved to interest itself in the Church's behalf. I for my part have long been aware, so far as my moderate intelligence has been able to judge of current events, that the one way of safety for the Churches of the East lies in their having the sympathy of the bishops of the West. For if only those bishops liked to show the same energy on behalf of the Christians sojourning in our part of the world which they have shown in the case of one or two of the men convicted of breaches of orthodoxy in the West, our common interests would probably reap no small benefit, our sovereigns treating the authority of the people with respect, and the laity in all quarters unhesitatingly following them. But, to carry out these objects, who has more capacity than yourself, with your intelligence and prudence? Who is keener to see the needful course to be taken? Who has more practical experience in working a profitable policy? Who feels more deeply the troubles of the brethren? What through all the West is more honoured than your venerable gray hairs? O most honoured father, leave behind you some memorial worthy of your life and character. By this one act crown your innumerable efforts on behalf of true religion. Dispatch from the holy Church placed under your care men of ability in sound doctrine to the bishops in the West. Recount to them the troubles whereby we are beset. Suggest some mode of relief. Be a Samuel to the Churches. Share the grief of the beleaguered people. Offer prayers for peace. Ask favour from the Lord, that He will send some memorial of peace to the Churches. I know how weak letters are to move men in matters of such importance; but you yourself no more need exhortation from others than the noblest athletes need the children's cheers. It is not as though I were instructing one in ignorance; I am only giving a new impulse to one whose energies are already roused. For the rest of the affairs of the East perhaps you may need the aid of more, and we must wait for the Westerns.
Note that St. Basil, autocephalous metropolitan of Cappadocia, is writing St. Athanasius, Pope of the separate autocephalous Diocese of Egypt, to prevail upon the bishops (note the plural) of a third body-that within the orbit of the autocephalous Abp. of Rome (who is not mentioned nor referred to, see below)-to restore a yet fourth autocephalous Church, and communion between all four.

It would seem that the "Universal Responsibility of the Pope for the Unity of the Churches" of the OP was being exercised in the early Church by other patriarchs and metropolitans, and even with the bishops of the Pope of Rome without bringing him necessarily into the equation for "East West Unity" "Ut Unum Sint."

Note also the "bishop of the West" and "the Westerns," and that Met. St. Basil is writing of them and about contact with them with no reference to the Abp. of Rome.

Met. St. Basil would write to the archbishop of Rome, Damasus, but the Pontiff proved the most ardent foe of Met. St. Meletius, insisting on Paulinus as primate of Antioch. The pontiff's right hand man in the East, St. Jerome, would accept ordination from Paulinus, and would travel with him back to Rome to solidify his support from the West. When Met. St. Meletius fell asleep after opening the Second Ecumenical Council-that of Constantinople I-Pontiff Damasus insisted that Paulinus be accepted as having succeeded to Antioch's see (something that Met. St. Meletius had offered, but Paulinus spurned). Instead, the Ecumenical Council consecrated St. Flavian as Metropolitan of Antioch (a precedent for the consecration of Sylvester as his successor as patriarch of Antioch. Btw, all four lines of patriarchs of Antioch recognized by the Vatican claim episcopal lineage from Met. St. Meletius, sweeping Paulinus under the rug), and Rome remained out of communion with Antioch, New Rome, Cappadocia...all the East except perhaps Alexandria, for two decades-although Paulinus' episcopal lineage died out with his successor nearly a decade before.

But plainly the discipline of the Church of Antioch depends upon your reverence's being able to control some, to reduce others to silence, and to restore strength to the Church by concord.
It would seem that Met. St. Basil knows that "that ordinary and immediate power of episcopal jurisdiction, by which bishops, who have succeeded to the place of the apostles by appointment of the Holy Spirit, tend and govern individually the particular flocks which have been assigned to them" means that "Furthermore, it follows...that he has the right, in the performance of this office of his, to communicate freely with the pastors and flocks of the entire Church, so that they may be taught and guided by him in the way of salvation" (PA III 5-6).

Met. St. Basil seems not to know about a number of dogmas of the Pastor Aeternus:
No one knows better than you do, that, like all wise physicians, you ought to begin your treatment in the most vital parts, and what part is more vital to the Churches throughout the world than Antioch? Only let Antioch be restored to harmony, and nothing will stand in the way of her supplying, as a healthy head, soundness to all the body. Truly the diseases of that city, which has not only been cut asunder by heretics, but is torn in pieces by men who say that they are of one mind with one another, stand in need of your wisdom and evangelic sympathy. To unite the sundered parts again, and bring about the harmony of one body, belongs to Him alone Who by His ineffable power grants even to the dry bones to come back again to sinews and flesh. But the Lord always works His mighty works by means of them that are worthy of Him. Once again, in this case too, we trust that the ministry of matters so important may beseem your excellency, with the result that you will lay the tempest of the people, do away with the party superiorities, and subject all to one another in love, and give back to the Church her ancient strength.
http://www.newadvent.org/fathers/3202066.htm

So much for the headship of St. Peter's sole successor at Old Rome providing the font of unity of the Churches, East and West.

Last edited by IAlmisry; 02/05/13 06:48 PM.
M
M
You and your Pastor Aeternus claim that "any bishop appealing to the bishop of Rome, from "West" or "East," prior to that time proves the point," without recognizing that by that standard any bishop making appeal to any bishop besides the bishop of Rome undermines your "point."
Strange. I thought the idea of "court of last resort" inherently indicates that there would be other head bishops that would be appealed to before the appeal to the bishop of Rome. So can you please explain to us how the fact that other bishops are appealed to undermines my point?

In the context, Bp. St. Basil of Caesarea...is writing Bp. St. Athanasius of Alexandria...
That's a nice, if not thoroughly biased and jaundiced account of the whole situation. There are several historical facts you neglected to include:
(1) Bishop Lucifer actually schismed from Rome over this very matter about Antioch, so your trying to paint him as the tool of Rome is rather...misleading (to put it nicely).
(2) Pope St. Athanasius eventually gave the right hand of communion to Paulinus, not St. Meletius.
(3) Because of this, St. Basil then appealed to Rome. Does the phrase "the court of last resort" sound familiar? wink

It would seem that the "Universal Responsibility of the Pope for the Unity of the Churches" of the OP was being exercised in the early Church by other patriarchs and metropolitans, and even with the bishops of the Pope of Rome without bringing him necessarily into the equation for "East West Unity" "Ut Unum Sint."
Amen! Just as Vatican 2 explicitly taught, ALL bishops have a responsibility for the unity of the Church as a whole. It's good to know that the teaching of Vatican 2 has patristic support.

Note also the "bishop of the West" and "the Westerns," and that Met. St. Basil is writing of them and about contact with them with no reference to the Abp. of Rome.
You must have missed reading his letters to Pope St. Damasus. Look them up for some good bedtime reading.

Met. St. Basil would write to the archbishop of Rome, Damasus,
Are you sure he wrote to him directly? I was sure that, according to you, he was really of no account. Please try to be more consistent with the storytelling.

but the Pontiff proved the most ardent foe of Met. St. Meletius, insisting on Paulinus as primate of Antioch.
Really? Are you sure it wasn't because St. Meletius was in exile? He had summoned both of them to Rome to settle the matter, but since St. Meletius was in exile, only Paulinus presented himself. As no one else was claiming the see, Pope St. Damasus agreed that Paulinus should have the see. Mmmm. Let's see, the choice is (1) concede it to the one who would be absent from his See without any indication of when he would return from exile; or (2) concede it to the one who could be present and did have support at Antioch. No contest. Another fact which you conveniently fail to mention is that in his letter of approval to Paulinus, Pope St. Damasus does not even mention St. Meletius. If he was such an "ardent foe," surely he would have made some judgment AGAINST St. Meletius or the Meletian party. Perfect opportunity to do so. But he didn't. Ardent foe? That's a rather laughable and insupportable statement. Another fact you fail to mention is that even after Paulinus went back to Antioch brandishing his letter of approval from Rome, St. Basil took no countenance of it, but continued to appeal to Rome on the matter. No doubt St. Basil understood that Paulinus only obtained the See because St. Meletius was absent due to exile, and did not view it as a decision AGAINST St. Meletius.

The pontiff's right hand man in the East, St. Jerome, would accept ordination from Paulinus, and would travel with him back to Rome to solidify his support from the West.
Another fact you conveniently fail to mention is that Pope St. Athanasius also gave the right hand of communion to Paulinus.

When Met. St. Meletius fell asleep after opening the Second Ecumenical Council-that of Constantinople I-Pontiff Damasus insisted that Paulinus be accepted as having succeeded to Antioch's see (something that Met. St. Meletius had offered, but Paulinus spurned). Instead, the Ecumenical Council consecrated St. Flavian as Metropolitan of Antioch (a precedent for the consecration of Sylvester as his successor as patriarch of Antioch.
Another fact you conveniently fail to mention is that it was Pope St. Damasus who tried to broker the agreement between the Paulinist and Meletian parties (that whoever died first, the other party would simply concede the See to the other party). You are right that the Paulinist party rejected the offer (so much for the theory that Paulinus was the Pope's man), but St. Meletius agreed to it. So the Council of Constantinople (don't pretend it was ecumenical at the time) intruded another into the See, despite the wishes of St. Meletius and Pope St. Damasus.

So much for the headship of St. Peter's sole successor at Old Rome providing the font of unity of the Churches, East and West.
Interesting comment. If Pope St. Athanasius was the highest authority that could settle matters at Antioch, what does it mean that St. Basil would appeal to Pope St. Damasus afterwards (since his appeal to Pope St. Athanasius came to naught)?

M
M
Originally Posted by Cavaradossi
But when St. Linus was ordained bishop of Rome (if we are to believe that Peter ordained Linus), Peter was alive then too. In fact, I am quite inclined to believe that no bishop received apostolic succession directly from Peter while he was not alive and kicking.
I thought the tradition was that he appointed Linus at his deathbed. So he was alive, but certainly not kicking. grin

I think St. Linus was ordained as a priest prior to his appointment to St. Peter's successorship in the primacy. That is more aligned to the general praxis of the Church.

Blessings

M
M
Nah! I'd give it 70& grin

Blessings

M
M

I would agree with that. I think most would agree that they are provisional at best and would be completely recast if a communion with the mother Orthodox churches were to occur.
I agree with the provisional comment. We should also remember that our particular laws have not been suborned by the Code.

To be honest, I would not count many of the canons in common with the CIC as being unfaithful to the Eastern/Oriental Tradition. It's not as if the entire Church never had ANY canons and customs in common.

Also, I think a lot of the Code simply codifies a lot of what was only regarded as "custom" that was heretofore uncodified, such as on the Sacraments et al.

I would really only count maybe 20% of the CCEO as being historically foreign to the Eastern/Oriental Traditions, though maybe 50-60% is foreign to the Eastern/Oriental CANONICAL Traditions.

Blessings

Last edited by mardukm; 02/05/13 10:06 PM.
A
A
Originally Posted by Cavaradossi

But the Rudder is not really a systematic code of canons. Many canons from the Rudder go completely unobserved (and have been unobserved for many centuries) without a single complaint. The purpose of the Rudder is much different, I would say.
Yes, the Rudder is different, and the Eastern mind set in connection with the canons found in the Rudder is also very different. Easterners do not see the canons as "laws," but rather as standards for conduct which the bishop administers (or not) for the good of the Church.

A
A
Nah! I'd give it 70& grin

Blessings
I have actually compared the two books, and I can assure you that 80 percent of the canons in the CCEO are identical (and in most cases word for word identical in the Latin) with the CIC, and when measured by the amount of text the figure is closer to 90 percent identical.

Postscript: Why in the world would an Eastern Christian book of canons be composed in Latin? The CCEO is the biggest Latinization ever forced on the Eastern Catholic Churches by the Pope.

A
A
I would really only count maybe 20% of the CCEO as being historically foreign to the Eastern/Oriental Traditions, though maybe 50-60% is foreign to the Eastern/Oriental CANONICAL Traditions.
You always did seem Latinized to me, and this post confirms it.

Many years.

A
A
Yes, I am aware of the context. I quoted it to demonstrate that this passage can indeed refer to St. Peter and his successors, which you were denying. It is the concept of headship that is the issue here. The passage regarding the wise and faithful servant, as I already affirmed a few times, concerns the notion of headship (VISIBLE headship, to be exact) in general, so it can indeed be used to apply to ANY hierarchical situation, which would include the situation of a bishop, who is indeed the visible head of his diocese -- but it can just as easily apply to the metropolitan, patriarchal and universal levels. St. John Chrysostom specifically mentions St. Peter and his successors to underscore the principle of headship, using St. Peter's own headship among the Apostles to demonstrate the principle of headship in the Church, a principle of headship given by Christ Himself.
It is pretty obvious that you are not aware of the context, because St. John Chrysostom's text "On the Priesthood" is not concerned with the papacy, but is referring to the priesthood in general and specifically to episcopacy. Thus, when he speaks about St. Peter and his successors he is not talking about the bishop of Rome, but about all the bishops. Nowhere in book II of his text on the priesthood does St. John Chrysostom ever mention the bishop or Rome or the papacy. In fact, shortly after his mentioning of St. Peter in the text, and his (i.e., St. Peter's) service to God's household he tells Basil that he (i.e., Basil) will soon take on the superintendence of the things of God. Again nowhere in the text of book II does St. John speak about the bishop of Rome as the sole successor of St. Peter, and it is simply a form of wishful thinking on the part of Roman Catholic apologists to say that he is limiting St. Peter's succession in that way. Moreover, he does not speak at all about headship in the referenced text, and so it is apparent that you are reading things into the text that simply are not there.

Page 11 of 13 1 2 9 10 11 12 13

Moderated by  Irish Melkite 

Link Copied to Clipboard
The Byzantine Forum provides message boards for discussions focusing on Eastern Christianity (though discussions of other topics are welcome). The views expressed herein are those of the participants and may or may not reflect the teachings of the Byzantine Catholic or any other Church. The Byzantine Forum and the www.byzcath.org site exist to help build up the Church but are unofficial, have no connection with any Church entity, and should not be looked to as a source for official information for any Church. All posts become property of byzcath.org. Contents copyright - 1996-2024 (Forum 1998-2023). All rights reserved.