The Byzantine Forum
Newest Members
Rocco, Hvizsgyak, P.W., Ramon, PeaceBeToAll
5,982 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
1 members (Mark1980), 166 guests, and 47 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Photos
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
by orthodoxsinner2, September 30
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
by Veronica.H, April 24
Byzantine Catholic Outreach of Iowa
Exterior of Holy Angels Byzantine Catholic Parish
Church of St Cyril of Turau & All Patron Saints of Belarus
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics35,388
Posts416,719
Members5,982
Most Online3,380
Dec 29th, 2019
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#391230 02/18/13 01:15 AM
OP Offline
A question:

I have been attending the Byzantine liturgy, now, since last May, I believe, and with the exception of Pentecost, I have yet to see the clergy in vestments that were not either white or gold, or white & gold, including today, the first Sunday of Lent. The vestments that the priest wore today were white & gold. Is that unusual? I would have expected purple today.

Some will wear red on Lenten Sundays others will continue with white/gold. Technically Sundays are always white/gold except for third Sunday of Lent and Sunday after Exaltation of the Cross which are Red, and Palm Sunday and Pentecost Sunday which are Green. Some will wear blue if a a Feast or post Feast of the Theotokos falls on Sunday. The Ruthenians tend toward red for Lent, the Melkites to purple, Ukrainians seem to be split.

My cromulent posts embiggen this forum.
B
B
Is black worn anymore?

Good Friday some places.

Black first and last week of Great Lent and Holy Week. Purple rest of Lent and Great Saturday. Pascha white or red.

Black is fairly recent and did not exist as a widespread liturgical color prior to the funeral of Peter II.

Yeah, I think maroon is worn during Presanctified Liturgies, iirc, in the Ruthenian tradition.

OP Offline
Okay...so what does it mean when there are many concelebrating clergy who wear all sorts of different colors...white, purple, gold, red, blue...you name it. For example:

?

Originally Posted by Roman Interloper
Okay...so what does it mean when there are many concelebrating clergy who wear all sorts of different colors...white, purple, gold, red, blue...you name it. For example:

?

They don't have enough matching vestments for all concelebrating clergy.

OP Offline
Really? I would think all the bishops in that video would have brought their own vestments. Do churches typically have so many bishop vestments in their sacristies?

B
B
I have often wondered seeing great big RC concelebrations like in Rome, etc where all the priests are wearing the exact same color and design vestments? Are all of these vestments "issued" or does every priest or bishop have to come up with the "uniform of the day"?

Originally Posted by Roman Interloper
Really? I would think all the bishops in that video would have brought their own vestments. Do churches typically have so many bishop vestments in their sacristies?

The bishops probably did. Perhaps they didn't own purple and thought gold clashed less than red? It is just one of those things. I know in the Latin Church they would never mix colors but in the East it just isn't a big deal as the colors have never been as carefully defined.

Well, I'm sure at the Cathedral level of the various Eparchies, there probably might be a special part of the sacristy for the Bishop, then one for the rector/priest. Wouldn't surprise me. Haven't really looked at the sacristy of St. John the Baptist Cathedral here before, but I'm going on assumption.

Last edited by 8IronBob; 02/26/13 09:45 PM.
OP Offline
Originally Posted by bergschlawiner
I have often wondered seeing great big RC concelebrations like in Rome, etc where all the priests are wearing the exact same color and design vestments? Are all of these vestments "issued" or does every priest or bishop have to come up with the "uniform of the day"?

In the case of St. Peter's Basilica I believe the matching vestments are all provided for the concelebrants. You often see this at Roman Catholic cathedrals too. Many cathedral sacristies are equipped with a large number of matching chasubles in white for concelebration for grand occasions, such as the installation of a new bishop or a priestly ordination.

If you ask me, it's too matchy-matchy and much less interesting to look at than all the mixed colors seen in the magnificent Orthodox celebration shown in this video.

S
S
"Mob concelebrations", as Father Serge called them.

Moderated by  Administrator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
The Byzantine Forum provides message boards for discussions focusing on Eastern Christianity (though discussions of other topics are welcome). The views expressed herein are those of the participants and may or may not reflect the teachings of the Byzantine Catholic or any other Church. The Byzantine Forum and the www.byzcath.org site exist to help build up the Church but are unofficial, have no connection with any Church entity, and should not be looked to as a source for official information for any Church. All posts become property of byzcath.org. Contents copyright - 1996-2024 (Forum 1998-2023). All rights reserved.