The Byzantine Forum
Newest Members
Galumph, Leon_C, Rocco, Hvizsgyak, P.W.
5,984 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
1 members (1 invisible), 246 guests, and 50 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Photos
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
by orthodoxsinner2, September 30
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
by Veronica.H, April 24
Byzantine Catholic Outreach of Iowa
Exterior of Holy Angels Byzantine Catholic Parish
Church of St Cyril of Turau & All Patron Saints of Belarus
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics35,389
Posts416,722
Members5,984
Most Online3,380
Dec 29th, 2019
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
i'd like to see who their bible was preserved by before they got it ....

A narrow view in the age of the printing press ...

Old Greek monks copying ... and copying again

The Gospel of St Luke was actually written by the descendents fo Luke ... copied .. interpreted ... made readable

We are still reworking and transliterating

Alleluia!

I see that St. Josaphat is holding an "All You Can Eat" style pancake breakfast after their Divine Liturgies on Sunday, Feb. 3rd, which I would think, if it's well advertised, will hopefully get people to attend the Sunday DLs (whether Ukrainian or English Language), and then reward themselves to breakfast afterwards. I'm sure this might be a pretty good idea. I know there are plenty of RC parishes doing this, but we should get more Byzantine Rite parishes holding breakfasts once a month at least, not just coffee socials.

E
E
What would be wrong with doing what the cults do, including the Evangelicalst? Go out door to door, 2 x 2, and meet people where they are at. Not everyone will be open and responsive, but I bet there will be opportunities for discussion and for performing works of charity.

The great problems that we face are:

A. Catholics do not know their faith. That is, they do not know how to defend it from Evangelical theological silliness. When you talk with an Evangelical, you MUST play on their playing field, which is the Scriptures. They are unimpressed with any answer that you cannot bring back to a Bible verse.

B. Eastern Catholic parishes are ethnic conclaves. More often than not, "boat people" (what I overheard a parishoner say about us converts) are not warmly welcome because they are not some form of Eastern European. That should not be the case.

In the same vein, Americans should somehow be encouraged to view the Byzantine Catholic Church in America as simply a form of Catholicism rather than an ethnic conclave. Certainly the Orthodox have done this by creating an American version of Orthodoxy.

C. Do we really believe that people are going to an eternal torment without Christ? Would we have the same lackadaisical attitude if we passed a burning building and heard cries for help coming within? We all (ME TOO!!) need to hear the heartbeat of Christ for the lost and those who are away from the Church and bring them in. The reason that Evangelicals grow so much is that they take the salvation message seriously and believe in a hot hell for sinners. I wonder sometimes if we really do???

Just my .02.

Here's a video that explains why the Church isn't thriving today. Some of you may have watched it already, if you've been cruising around Youtube, but for those that haven't this offers a pretty darn good explanation:

This was recorded from a Church Tour of St. Vladimir UOC Cathedral in Parma, Ohio, possibly during their Ukrainian Festival.

so this topic ... is an interesting one ... and more difficult than it appears on the surface.

HOW EXACTLY WOULD YOU EXPLAIN the EASTERN CATHOLIC FAITH from the standpoint of it's ORTHODOX ROOTS?

Another way to look at it is WHY BE ORTHODOX / EASTERN CHRISTIAN -

LOVE TO HEAR SPECIFIC TOPIC DISCUSSIONS THAT WE SHOULD HAVE READY AT ALL TIMES.

JOHN

E
E
Originally Posted by haydukovich
so this topic ... is an interesting one ... and more difficult than it appears on the surface.

HOW EXACTLY WOULD YOU EXPLAIN the EASTERN CATHOLIC FAITH from the standpoint of it's ORTHODOX ROOTS?

Another way to look at it is WHY BE ORTHODOX / EASTERN CHRISTIAN -

LOVE TO HEAR SPECIFIC TOPIC DISCUSSIONS THAT WE SHOULD HAVE READY AT ALL TIMES.

JOHN

Why?

Because it is the original worship. Because they haven't thrown out the baby with the bathwater. Because how we worship is important.

Catholic Gyoza
Catholic Gyoza
Originally Posted by Irish_Ruthenian
What would be wrong with doing what the cults do, including the Evangelicalst? Go out door to door, 2 x 2, and meet people where they are at. Not everyone will be open and responsive, but I bet there will be opportunities for discussion and for performing works of charity.

A. Catholics do not know their faith. That is, they do not know how to defend it from Evangelical theological silliness. When you talk with an Evangelical, you MUST play on their playing field, which is the Scriptures. They are unimpressed with any answer that you cannot bring back to a Bible verse.

This!

... and love bombing, like we used to do back in the good ol' days.

how would YOU explain your faith? start with the basics

why would they want to worship your way? answer as if I were a new member walking into your church for the first time and I was attractive to you in some way (a problem for many do we only want rich? young? no one with a )

S
S
Why?

"Come and see".

Well ... the reason I asked the questions - and curious about others ideas or ways to explain

I was presented with the question about 2 weeks ago.

How would you explain (your religion) to someone in a way that would convince them it was the one True Faith.

I've studied - I pretty much know the major concepts ... but I was unable to answer this satisfactorily - unable to explain in a totally positive way without polemics without comparisons that denigrate the other side etc. ... I was speechless (which actually may show some great spiritual growth).

Anyway - I'd like to see how it's done - especially after they've come to see - and now want explanations.

S
S
How would you explain (your religion) to someone in a way that would convince them it was the one True Faith.

Take him to Liturgy.

(But not if it's the RDL).

Well...at least take him to Matins, since that's not AS affected by the RDL, Vespers, though, different story, since those are in the Green Book.

S
S
You know a Ruthenian parish that celebrates Orthros? Regularly?

I do ... regularly ... as a reader service

E
E
Originally Posted by Dr. Eric
Originally Posted by Irish_Ruthenian

This!

... and love bombing, like we used to do back in the good ol' days.

Was this an answer? Was it directed to me? What exactly do you mean by "this"?

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Fr. Deacon Lance 

Link Copied to Clipboard
The Byzantine Forum provides message boards for discussions focusing on Eastern Christianity (though discussions of other topics are welcome). The views expressed herein are those of the participants and may or may not reflect the teachings of the Byzantine Catholic or any other Church. The Byzantine Forum and the www.byzcath.org site exist to help build up the Church but are unofficial, have no connection with any Church entity, and should not be looked to as a source for official information for any Church. All posts become property of byzcath.org. Contents copyright - 1996-2024 (Forum 1998-2023). All rights reserved.