The Byzantine Forum
Newest Members
Rocco, Hvizsgyak, P.W., Ramon, PeaceBeToAll
5,982 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
1 members (1 invisible), 167 guests, and 48 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Photos
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
by orthodoxsinner2, September 30
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
by Veronica.H, April 24
Byzantine Catholic Outreach of Iowa
Exterior of Holy Angels Byzantine Catholic Parish
Church of St Cyril of Turau & All Patron Saints of Belarus
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics35,388
Posts416,719
Members5,982
Most Online3,380
Dec 29th, 2019
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Dragani Offline OP
OP Offline
Friends,

I was happy to learn of the new pope's affinity for Eastern Catholicism. He is friends with the UGCC Major Archbishop, and his mentor was a Greek Catholic bishop who is on the path to canonization.

Still, there are a few important questions that must be asked:

1) Is Pope Francis aware of Cum Data Fuerit, and the tremendous damage that it has caused?

2) More importantly, is he aware of how our Eastern Catholic Churches in North America continue to suffer under the weight of this decree? In fact, I would go so far as to say that it is slowly killing our churches. Does he know this?

3) If Pope Francis is not aware of this situation, how can we bring it to his attention? And when I say "we", I do not mean bishops. I am referring to all of us.

4) I have heard that there are many Eastern Catholic communities in Argentina, and that the new pope did much to help them. Are there many married priests in Argentina?

5) What is the likelihood that Pope Francis will be the pontiff who finally puts an end to this madness? Or will things go on as usual as our churches slowly die?

I look forward to hearing your thoughts. I haven't been on this forum for a while, as it can be painful to think about what has been happening to our churches. But now, can we dare to hope that things will improve?

S
S
It could very well be headed in that direction, Tony. Let us pray that it is so.

I personally have some mixed feelings about Pope Francis. We all know that Pope Emeritus Benedict XVI was big on renewing the Roman Liturgy. It won't affect Byzantine Catholics much, but many "traditional" Roman Catholics don't seem to enthusiastic about the choice of Pope Francis. The previous Pope's "reform of the reform" may end up coming to a screeching halt. Pope Francis has already broken protocol with certain Roman traditions of a Pontiff. Please do me a big favor. If you get any new parishioners or inquirers, who were "traditional" Roman Catholics. Please show some charity. Pope Francis is humble and simple, but from what I have read, he was not a big advocate of the Extraordinary Form. And even the establishment of the Anglican Ordinariates.

From this video, you will see what I am talking about.

And this is what they may have lost.

J
JDC Offline
J
Thank goodness somebody said it.

G
G
Dragani,

Whether or not His Holiness knows about Cum Data Fuerit is pure speculation at this point. We may know in time. Let us be patient.

His schedule next week includes the following:

On Wednesday, 20 March, he will hold an audience with fraternal delegates representing the heads of the various Eastern rite Churches so there will not be a General Audience.

Maybe, it will be mentioned at that meeting.

Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Anthony,

Welcome home!

Interesting questions, though I think that, as gc says, it will be a while before we know the answers to any of them.

Many years,

Neil

"One day all our ethnic traits ... will have disappeared. Time itself is seeing to this. And so we can not think of our communities as ethnic parishes, ... unless we wish to assure the death of our community."
E
Za myr z'wysot ...
Za myr z'wysot ...
E
Originally Posted by bkovacs
I personally have some mixed feelings about Pope Francis ... Pope Francis has already broken protocol with certain Roman traditions of a Pontiff.
BK,

Have you seen the thread under "The Christian East & West," entitled Pope's shift of emphasis to that of a local bishop? The fact is that, from an Eastern perspective, many if not all of these breaks with traditional papal protocol can be seen as a good thing.

Peace,
Deacon Richard

Father Deacon Richard,

I hope you are correct, but consider my thread in Town Hall: Things Worse Or Better Under Pope Francis

J
J
Originally Posted by Dragani
Friends,

I was happy to learn of the new pope's affinity for Eastern Catholicism. He is friends with the UGCC Major Archbishop, and his mentor was a Greek Catholic bishop who is on the path to canonization.

Still, there are a few important questions that must be asked:

1) Is Pope Francis aware of Cum Data Fuerit, and the tremendous damage that it has caused?

2) More importantly, is he aware of how our Eastern Catholic Churches in North America continue to suffer under the weight of this decree? In fact, I would go so far as to say that it is slowly killing our churches. Does he know this?

3) If Pope Francis is not aware of this situation, how can we bring it to his attention? And when I say "we", I do not mean bishops. I am referring to all of us.

4) I have heard that there are many Eastern Catholic communities in Argentina, and that the new pope did much to help them. Are there many married priests in Argentina?

5) What is the likelihood that Pope Francis will be the pontiff who finally puts an end to this madness? Or will things go on as usual as our churches slowly die?

I look forward to hearing your thoughts. I haven't been on this forum for a while, as it can be painful to think about what has been happening to our churches. But now, can we dare to hope that things will improve?
Let's be realistic and not seek after false hope. If the bishops wanted married priests and an authentic liturgy and the other things faithful to our tradition we'd have them. Simply put, the bishops don't want them. A few have slipped through the back door. But the bishops want the approval of their fellow bishops in the USCCB. They do not see any future for the Ruthenian Catholic Church. They are quite content to organize the death and burial of our church. I'm told that Pittsburgh is about to declare bankruptcy and will have to close about half its parishes. Parma is barely holding off from bankruptcy and will have to tear down some of the cathedral buildings because they can't afford the upkeep. Pope Francis is said to respect the local bishop and Rome is not going to object if the Ruthenian bishops are content with a quiet death.

S
S
Now, Joe, the Eastern Catholic Church is much broader than just the Ruthenians.

The BCC could ordain married men this instance and I doubt the Pope would intervene or put a stop to it. The Ukrainians, Romanians, and Melkites have married priests in the diaspora. The ball has been in the court of the BCC for a long time and they don't seem to want to shoot.

Originally Posted by Joe in Slavland
But the bishops want the approval of their fellow bishops in the USCCB. They do not see any future for the Ruthenian Catholic Church. They are quite content to organize the death and burial of our church.

Genesis 19:16-33.

If God would have saved Sodom for the sake of ten holy souls, then how much the more will He save us our "cities" if we love and serve him?

If the hierarchy does not cooperate, all the more reason for prayer and fasting, prayer and fasting, prayer and fasting.

J
jjp Offline
J
Originally Posted by StuartK
Now, Joe, the Eastern Catholic Church is much broader than just the Ruthenians.

I thought the Melkites announced last year that they were going to be ordaining married American home-grown candidates. Anybody aware of recent developments on that front? I'd love to see them follow through.

I'm a little surprised that no one's mentioned the parish-finances side of things.

Dragani Offline OP
OP Offline
Hi Friends,

I started this thread a little over three years ago. At that time, I was cautiously optimistic that Pope Francis would be different... that he would be the one to undo this grave injustice.

As we all know, he was the Pope who finally, definitively ended the ban. I am thankful to God for sending us a Pope who saw the damage that it was doing, and relegated it to the ash heap of history.

Since the ban was abolished, I am aware of many married men being ordained to the priesthood. While some brave bishops were ordaining married men previously, (almost?) all of the Greek Catholic bishops in the United States are now routinely ordaining married men as a matter of course. And the best part is that there is no sneaking around or fear of censure. We are now free to be ourselves, out in the open.

I have seen so many blessings because of this. I am very optimistic about the future of Eastern Catholicism in North America, and hope for great things to come.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
The Byzantine Forum provides message boards for discussions focusing on Eastern Christianity (though discussions of other topics are welcome). The views expressed herein are those of the participants and may or may not reflect the teachings of the Byzantine Catholic or any other Church. The Byzantine Forum and the www.byzcath.org site exist to help build up the Church but are unofficial, have no connection with any Church entity, and should not be looked to as a source for official information for any Church. All posts become property of byzcath.org. Contents copyright - 1996-2024 (Forum 1998-2023). All rights reserved.