The Byzantine Forum
Newest Members
Galumph, Leon_C, Rocco, Hvizsgyak, P.W.
5,984 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 238 guests, and 46 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Photos
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
by orthodoxsinner2, September 30
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
by Veronica.H, April 24
Byzantine Catholic Outreach of Iowa
Exterior of Holy Angels Byzantine Catholic Parish
Church of St Cyril of Turau & All Patron Saints of Belarus
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics35,389
Posts416,722
Members5,984
Most Online3,380
Dec 29th, 2019
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
OP Offline
Did anyone else listen to the Catholic Channel (Sirius/XM 129) broadcast this morning? One of the priest commentators said that the Ecumenical Patriarch was at the altar and concelebrated. Surely he meant an Eastern Catholic Patriarch.

O
O
I saw it on Salt & Light

Yes of course the Greek Deacon was on the Altar

If I'm not mistaken at the end of the Sign of Peace the EP and another Eastern Cleric [ was wearing a hood but that's all I could make out ] were taken onto the Altar and exchanged the Sign of Peace with the Holy Father .
There was an Eastern Hierarch [ possibly Maronite I don't know them so can't ID them ] on the Altar and concelebrating

O
O
some nice photos of the Mass

Scroll to the bottom of the page

here [amen.gr]

OP Offline
Yes, it was the Maronite Patriarch who concelebrated. The EP and Armenian Patriarch exchanged the sign of peace!

E
E
Pope Francis didn't intone or sing anything, didn't genuflect after the consecration, and the introit was skipped. Pfft, how about skipping the part where he becomes pope too?

Originally Posted by Edward Yong
Pope Francis didn't intone or sing anything, didn't genuflect after the consecration, and the introit was skipped. Pfft, how about skipping the part where he becomes pope too?

His Holiness can't sing due to having only one lung.

L
L
That would be the charitable assumption pending further evidence, but that isn't a fact as far as I am aware, desertman.

He didn't genuflect after the consecration? That's like...automatic reaction after being a priest for how long now?

Alexis

Last edited by Logos - Alexis; 03/19/13 06:39 PM.
J
J

No, His Holiness didn't genuflect after the consecration of the Sacred Species, but he did make a profound bow at the conclusion of the consecration of the Precious Blood. What his intentions were are unknown to us, but at 76 years old, I highly doubt the Lord will condemn him for not genuflecting, so why should we? He did after all make a sign of deep reverence. I have known many a priest that is not able to genuflect due to illness, age, injury, or all of the above.

Mr. Yong, I pray that your comment concerning skipping the installation of the Holy Father was meant to be humorous. Let us look to unity.

I know EWTN covered this, but I forgot to set my DVR for it overnight! Grr... Why did I make that mistake? *Sigh* frown That's all right I'm sure EWTN will have repeats of it throughout the week.

Originally Posted by Dr. Henry P.
Yes, it was the Maronite Patriarch who concelebrated. The EP and Armenian Patriarch exchanged the sign of peace!
No the announcer got it wrong, that was the Patriarch Emeritus of Alexandria of the Copts.

My cromulent posts embiggen this forum.
Pfft, how about skipping the part where he becomes pope too?

You know better. An apology is in order.

Fr. Deacon Lance

My cromulent posts embiggen this forum.
O
O
I can't get EWTN on my Cable service - but I was impressed with the Canadian Salt and Light coverage of the Eucharistic Congress in Dublin last year so used their live streamed broadcast - I was most impressed by the coverage , a minimum of chit chat - on the whole they let the Ceremony speak for itself . They have plenty of re-runs scheduled.

A
A
A replay of the entire inaugural Mass, without running commentaries, can be accessed at You Tube by typing in "Vatican" for the English version. I am viewing it now!

EWTN's own coverage will be re-run at 5 p.m., Chicago Time.

Re-broadcast of the Mass is on EWTN at 6pm this evening. It will also show again later.
Cut and paste this link and you will see an Eastern deacon. His sticharion appears to be polka-dotted (probably crosses) from a distance; everyone else is wearing solid colors.

http://www.reuters.com/news/pictures/slideshow?articleId=USRTR3F6Q6#a=12

Should this link not lead directly to the photo, advance the slideshow to photo #12.
I saw the Reuters story this morning and it clearly showed this deacon among the others near the altar during the consecration.
Is it a scandal because the Mass was ONLY two hours compared to three for Pope Benedict? I think not! They need some simplcity at the Vatican where it takes 12-14 months to approve a bishop. Have them shorten their three hour lunches.

A
A
Yes, the Gospel was proclaimed and chanted in Greek by a Greek Deacon.

In the press conference yesterday morning, Fr. Lombardi stated that the inaugural Mass was to be concelebrated by all Cardinals present in Rome, the Patriarchs and Major Archbishops of the Eastern Catholic Churches, and the Superior General of the Franciscans and the Jesuits, respectively.

All in all, he estimated the concelebrants to number abour 80.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
The Byzantine Forum provides message boards for discussions focusing on Eastern Christianity (though discussions of other topics are welcome). The views expressed herein are those of the participants and may or may not reflect the teachings of the Byzantine Catholic or any other Church. The Byzantine Forum and the www.byzcath.org site exist to help build up the Church but are unofficial, have no connection with any Church entity, and should not be looked to as a source for official information for any Church. All posts become property of byzcath.org. Contents copyright - 1996-2024 (Forum 1998-2023). All rights reserved.