The Byzantine Forum
Newest Members
Galumph, Leon_C, Rocco, Hvizsgyak, P.W.
5,984 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 238 guests, and 46 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Photos
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
by orthodoxsinner2, September 30
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
by Veronica.H, April 24
Byzantine Catholic Outreach of Iowa
Exterior of Holy Angels Byzantine Catholic Parish
Church of St Cyril of Turau & All Patron Saints of Belarus
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics35,389
Posts416,722
Members5,984
Most Online3,380
Dec 29th, 2019
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
OP Offline
i am curious did the byzantine catholic church at anytime ever celebrate the christmas and pascha according to the old calendar dates i would like to join the byzatine cathoic church but wish they celebrated the christmas on january 7 and pascha according to the eastern orthodox church

Joseph:

Glory be to Jesus Christ!!
Welcome to the forum!! Please take the time, as a new member, to read the "Who We Are" section in Town Hall. It'll orient you to the forum.

Bob

OP Offline
hi theophan i did check out the town hall section and i oriented myself with the who we are also theophan i attend a rutherian mass this past sunday one question has the music changed that much i remember 10 yrs ago it being more byzantine and when i went sunday it seemed more western in style i did not hear the tones i know that the eastern orthodox church does thier hymns in i think they say russian style is in 3 or 4 parts nor did i hear a chant like which a reader would do nor did the priest do the gospel as i have heard it done by the eastern orthodox priest is this because ian priests are bi ritual and not all of them come from the eastern rite

Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Joseph,

Welcome to the forum! I'll leave it to the Ruthenian historians here as to when their Church last celebrated according to the Old Calendar, but I suspect that it has been close to a century now, if not longer.

As far as the music and chant, your experience in that regard could, almost certainly would, vary considerably depending on the particular parish you attended.

There are indeed some Ruthenian priests who are biritual and some are not cradle Eastern Catholics. Someone here may be able to offer percentages on the two points, but I think that overall it's not an incredibly high number in either regard.

Many years,

Neil

"One day all our ethnic traits ... will have disappeared. Time itself is seeing to this. And so we can not think of our communities as ethnic parishes, ... unless we wish to assure the death of our community."
Some Ukrainian Catholic Churches follow the Julian Calendar. Check the Philadelphia Eparchy's website. The Ukrainian Chant would be much closer to the Chant you may have heard in Orthodox liturgies.

I believe the official change in calendar occurred in 1948 or thereabouts. We lived in Steubenville, OH for a short while, and attended Holy Transfiguration (OCA). They went into the OCA at that time due specifically because of the calendar issue.

In Christ,
Adam

My Byzantine Catholic parish (we were known as Greek Catholics at the time) changed to the Gregorian calendar in 1956 or 1957. I remember getting out of school for Christmas when I was in 1st and 2nd grades.
The change may not have been official, but that was the last year that we officially celebrated Christmas on January 7.

Originally Posted by joseph r godleski
hi theophan i did check out the town hall section and i oriented myself with the who we are also theophan i attend a rutherian mass this past sunday one question has the music changed that much i remember 10 yrs ago it being more byzantine and when i went sunday it seemed more western in style i did not hear the tones i know that the eastern orthodox church does thier hymns in i think they say russian style is in 3 or 4 parts nor did i hear a chant like which a reader would do nor did the priest do the gospel as i have heard it done by the eastern orthodox priest is this because ian priests are bi ritual and not all of them come from the eastern rite

The Ruthenian Byzantine Catholic Church has its own plainchant tradition, that it shares with the American Carpatho-Russan Orthodx Diocese, that is neither Byzantine Greek nor Great Russian so it would not sound like either of those.

My cromulent posts embiggen this forum.
A
A
I wish Eastern Catholics used the old calendar too.

Which one? There are many calendars used by various Churches.

Originally Posted by Apotheoun

I wish worrying about which calendar to use was the only thing we had to concern ourselves with. wink

C
C

A lot of them do, either the Revised Julian or purely Julian.

A
A
Originally Posted by ConstantineTG

A lot of them do, either the Revised Julian or purely Julian.
My wish was for Eastern Catholics (i.e., meaning all of them, not just some of them) to use the old calendar. grin

ajk Offline
My wish was for Eastern Catholics (i.e., meaning all of them, not just some of them) to use the old calendar. grin
A dysfunctional clock may be considered charming but it is not recommended for keeping time (and best not to wish it on others).

I know, especially this year... Easter/Pascha won't feel quite like Pascha weather this early in the year. If anything, it's gonna be in the 40s and rainy, and will have a shot of winter into Bright Week... I'm sure our Old Calendar brethren won't be having weather as bad as most in this country may wind up with.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  theophan 

Link Copied to Clipboard
The Byzantine Forum provides message boards for discussions focusing on Eastern Christianity (though discussions of other topics are welcome). The views expressed herein are those of the participants and may or may not reflect the teachings of the Byzantine Catholic or any other Church. The Byzantine Forum and the www.byzcath.org site exist to help build up the Church but are unofficial, have no connection with any Church entity, and should not be looked to as a source for official information for any Church. All posts become property of byzcath.org. Contents copyright - 1996-2024 (Forum 1998-2023). All rights reserved.