The Byzantine Forum
Newest Members
MarianLatino, Bosconian_Jin, MissionIn, Pater Patrick, EasternChristian
5,999 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 275 guests, and 63 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Photos
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
by orthodoxsinner2, September 30
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
by Veronica.H, April 24
Byzantine Catholic Outreach of Iowa
Exterior of Holy Angels Byzantine Catholic Parish
Church of St Cyril of Turau & All Patron Saints of Belarus
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics35,398
Posts416,768
Members5,999
Most Online3,380
Dec 29th, 2019
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
T
OP Offline
T
Pope Francis accepts icon of Virgin Mary, book from Patriarch Kirill

http://www.interfax-religion.com/?act=news&div=10348

[Linked Image]

Moscow, March 21, Interfax - Pope Francis met with Metropolitan Hilarion of Volokolamsk, head of the Moscow Patriarchate Department for External Church Relations, at the Vatican Secretariat of State on Wednesday.

"At the start of the meeting, the chairman of the Department for External Church Relations conveyed Patriarch Kirill's of Moscow and All Russia warm greetings and gratitude for prayers, noting that the primate of the Russian Orthodox Church closely followed the election and inauguration of the new Roman Catholic pontiff," the department's press service reported.

The metropolitan presented the pope with a Spanish-language copy of Patriarch Kirill's Freedom and Responsibility book and an icon of the Virgin Mary.

"The first steps of Your Holiness after the election were marked by humbleness," Metropolitan Hilarion said.

Hopefully, the new pontiff will build upon the positive changes that were observed in relations between the Orthodox and Catholic Churches under Pope Benedict XVI, who resigned in February, he said.

The Moscow Patriarchate attaches great importance to promoting relations with the Catholic Church in many areas, including social service, support for the poor and the deprived and protection of people suffering from persecution, he said.

Metropolitan Hilarion also informed Pope Francis of problems still facing ties between the two Churches, expressing hope that solutions would be found to them.

G
G
The icon has been given to His Holiness Benedict XVI.
Video [youtube.com] and Photo [mospat.ru]

D
DMD Offline
D
Originally Posted by griego catolico
The icon has been given to His Holiness Benedict XVI.
Video [youtube.com] and Photo [mospat.ru]

http://themoynihanletters.com/from-the-desk-of/letter-60-we-are-brothers-in-humility

Please take time to read! Brothers and sisters we don't understand, we DO NO REALIZE how blessed we are to be here in the presence of the Lord! Scripture says God saved his greatest saints for the last days. Are we there? Don't know, but we are in a time that the world has never seen. Good and evil in direct, clearly seen, opposition! Patriarch Kril would not speak to Popes JPII or Benedict XVI, yet, to Pope Francis by way of Metropolitan Hillaron, he SENDS his representative to Pope Francis! He gives him the Icon of Our Lady of Humility! It is taken to Benedict, the one who is free to be in constant prayer. Oh I can go on, but oh my, how blessed we are!

L
L
Pope Francis regifted? Isn't that in bad taste? It was given to him, for him to keep. Or, a not-much-better alternative, he thought Benedict would appreciate it so much more than he himself would?

Alexis

L
L
Griego Catolico,

Are you quite sure the icon given to Benedict from Francis is the same one given to Francis by Hilarion?

Alexis

Last edited by Logos - Alexis; 03/24/13 03:01 PM.
Originally Posted by Logos - Alexis
Griego Catolico,

Are you quite sure the icon given to Benedict from Francis is the same one given to Francis by Hilarion?

Alexis

That could be a scary thought. I thought that since Pope Francis hailed from the Eastern Rite before joining the Cardinate, he would have had better use for that icon...so much for that.

A
A
Griego Catolico,

Alexis
They look the same:

[Linked Image from sites.google.com]

[Linked Image from sites.google.com]

A
A
Pope Francis regifted?
It was given to him, so I suppose he can do what he wants with it. I read that the icon is called Look Down with Favor on My Lowliness, and Pope Francis said it made him think of Pope Benedict, and so he gave it to him.

O
O
Originally Posted by 8IronBob
That could be a scary thought. I thought that since Pope Francis hailed from the Eastern Rite before joining the Cardinate, he would have had better use for that icon...so much for that.

where did that idea come from ?

Pope Francis regifted? Isn't that in bad taste? It was given to him, for him to keep. Or, a not-much-better alternative, he thought Benedict would appreciate it so much more than he himself would?

Alexis

Glory be to Jesus Christ!!

Couple of things here. First of all, the idea of "regift" is a totally worldly thing. But that's not the point here. Pope Francis has shifted the papal emphasis by calling HH Benedict his brother. And who better to share something with than his brother? Then there's the fact that HH Benedict will be living the life of prayer he asked for and what better way to begin than with this holy icon as part of that journey? And what about this "giving"? HH Benedict will probably use it at the summer retreat and maybe take it back to his retirement home at the Vatican. But what do you think will happen when he answers the call? He'll take it with him? At this point in time this "gift" looks more like a loan to me. Have you seen the way HH looks? He's not a well man.

Look Down with Favor on My Lowliness

Don't you think this title fits both men equally? What better way to do emphasize that than to share it with HH Benedict.

BTW, there's a website offering a copy of this icon.

Bob

I agree with Bob. I think Pope Francis realizes that BXVI has time to stay in front of her in prayer, that he does not.

So it is not 'regifted' as it is gifted to all mankind in a much greater way!

Papa Francis connection comes to the Eastern Rites of Argentina, because he was over them as their Bishop, since they did not have one of their own. I think that s what OLS comment was about.

G
G

Beautiful. Thank you for posting this.

Last edited by Gariníon; 03/24/13 08:08 PM.
A
A
It can be the same icon. In the video of the meeting from wwww.vatican.va, Pope Francis says in Italian Pope Benedict:

"...he told me that this icon is named "Madonna of the Humilty". And, let you allow me to say that, I've thought to you, so humble during your pontificate "

So it is very probable that the "he" that "told me that this icon is named.." was Metropolitan Hilarion.

It is not a regift (in such a case the origin would be not mentioned), but the gift of the most precious think the Pope received.

PS I would have appreciates from the MP not a gift an icon, but an open apologize for their subjection to the Communist regime in oppressing the other Christians.

Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Robert Moynihan, founder and editor-in-chief of "Inside the Vatican" reports on Metropolitan Hilarion's reaction to the 're-gifting'

a few minutes ago I received an unexpected email from Metropolitan Hilarion, 46, an old friend who is also the “Foreign Minister” (the term isn’t quite accurate, but it suggests the importance of his work and position) of the Russian Orthodox Church’s Moscow Patriarchate, so, the right-hand of Patriarch Kirill. He wrote:

“Pope Francis presented to Pope emeritus Benedict the icon which had been presented to Pope Francis by Metropolitan Hilarion on behalf of Patriarch Kirill [the head of the Russian Orthodox Church] after the private audience [with the new Pope] on 20 March. Отправлено с iPhone [Sent from iPhone]“

So the icon was the Russian icon Hilarion gave to Francis three days ago!

I wrote back: “Amazing. Are you pleased, or upset?”

I added: “It is reported here: ‘They spent 45 minutes talking alone. Pope Francis gave Pope Benedict an icon of Our Lady of Humility, saying that when he received it, he immediately thought of giving it to Pope Benedict.’”

Hilarion wrote back: “Very pleased and touched.”
(emphasis added)

The Moynihan Letters [themoynihanletters.com]

Many years,

Neil

"One day all our ethnic traits ... will have disappeared. Time itself is seeing to this. And so we can not think of our communities as ethnic parishes, ... unless we wish to assure the death of our community."
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
The Byzantine Forum provides message boards for discussions focusing on Eastern Christianity (though discussions of other topics are welcome). The views expressed herein are those of the participants and may or may not reflect the teachings of the Byzantine Catholic or any other Church. The Byzantine Forum and the www.byzcath.org site exist to help build up the Church but are unofficial, have no connection with any Church entity, and should not be looked to as a source for official information for any Church. All posts become property of byzcath.org. Contents copyright - 1996-2024 (Forum 1998-2023). All rights reserved.