The Byzantine Forum
Newest Members
Galumph, Leon_C, Rocco, Hvizsgyak, P.W.
5,984 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 456 guests, and 39 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Photos
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
by orthodoxsinner2, September 30
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
by Veronica.H, April 24
Byzantine Catholic Outreach of Iowa
Exterior of Holy Angels Byzantine Catholic Parish
Church of St Cyril of Turau & All Patron Saints of Belarus
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics35,389
Posts416,722
Members5,984
Most Online3,380
Dec 29th, 2019
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
OP Offline
I had always tried to figure it out.

Difference [organiclifestylemagazine.com]

Thanks for this, Pani Rose...

I became aware of the danger of GMO's a few years back when my daughter learned all about them in one of her university classes.
Europe will NOT allow GMO produce within the EU. Same for Russia and probably other countries.

Not only do we allow it, BUT, our country will not label foods that are GMO! This is because of the lobby and influence of Monsanto, a company which has actually been referred to as 'evil'.

Our once virtuous country whom we trusted for its food supply being one of the safest in the world, is now feeding us frankenstein food and doesn't even want to allow us to know about it! In fact, when there are demonstrations and the like about GMO's, it is often impossible to find anything in the news!

BEWARE of soy products--unless they are labeled *organic*, they are genetically modified. If you like tofu, make sure you buy the organic kind.

All corn products are also genetically modified.

In one documentary I watched about Mt. Athos, someone asked a monk who was tending to a quite impressive vegetable garden, if they could give him seeds as a gift. His response was 'yes, unless they are genetically modified seeds'.

GMO's are very, very scary and the attempt to keep us in the dark about them is even scarier.

BTW-Make sure you buy milk which does not have the Bovine Growth Hormone in it, and also try to buy organic eggs as well, which are quite inexpensive at Costco.

Lord have mercy!

J
J
Agree, agree, agree with everything you just wrote!!!

When people tell me there is no evidence GMO foods are dangerous, I don't argue that point. I just state that, dangerous or not, they should be labeled, as it's a question of consumers having a right to know how their food has been produced and, as with anything else, to be free to make their own personal choices based on that information.

J
J
I meant, "When people tell me there is no need to label GMO foods because there's no evidence that they're dangerous."

OP Offline
MILK! They wan't to put artificial sweeteners in milk!
http://health.yahoo.net/experts/dayinhealth/artificial-sweeteners-milk

M
M
How about the irradiated food? Holy smokes! try googling that . Not to mention the whole debate about wheat. Wheat in and of itself is not bad but what has been done to it is. It is not the same thing that our parents used . The cardiologist that wrote the book " Wheatbelly " claims that the dwarf wheat that is now grown is the cause of a vast majority of diseases and maladies
Everything from aging,autism,cataracts,and some mental disorders. I try to grow as much of my own food as I can .

Yes Michele, I have heard that about wheat and read his articles! It is not the wheat of our ancestors anymore--atleast not in America!

I have cut out most wheat--I always have Ezekiel organic bread on hand and I also try to only eat organic grass fed meat when I do eat meat. That is why I am thankful for having an Elevation Burger (organic, grass fed beef from New Zealand, cut fresh daily) near us for that occasional fast meal.

A top cardiologist on Dr. Oz's show (himself a top cardiologist) said that meat eating is very harmful to one's health, but that the one exception is organic, fully grass fed meat, which is not only NOT bad, but actually GOOD for you because of the Omega-3's it gives you. Again, something our ancestors took for granted in their food supply.

In feeding the over abundance of food to the masses (many restaurant portions in this country are almost sinful, and you don't realize it until you eat in another country), we are not deriving most of the health and nutrition benefits from food that we should be.

For info sake, GMO is Genetically MOdified.

EATING the GMOs is the lesser danger. The greater danger is how they may affect the natural balance between insects, animals and plants. Personally, I'm not ecologically high-strung, but I do love God's nature and am constantly awed at how it balances itself. For example: Japanese beetles were a plague in my area about 3 decades ago; they ate all the vegetation off roses, grapevines and many other plants and crops. They were horrible for about three years. But after that they were not a problem at all; I see a few every year but they don't cause any noticeable damage. The same with gypsy moths; there is a three mile stretch along I-80 of dead trees that were its victims. I haven't seen a gypsy moth for years since then.

These invading pests were brought over by human trade and traffic; there are many invasive species of plants that were supposed to be "beneficial" but ended up being a scourge. The same may be true with GMO's. Ten or twenty years of testing is not enough, because once the ecology is upset it becomes quite damaging.

GMOs

The scary truth is that produce manipulation does not end with these tasteless hybrids. Here in the United States more genetically modified (GMOs) crops are being planted each year. These plants are created using biotechnology. Techniques such as, splicing, microinjection, viral carriers, and bacterial carriers create plant varieties that could never occur naturally. These methodologies give food scientists the ability to introduce favorable genes of completely unrelated species into food producing plants. Unfavorable genes can now also be silenced. Many of these food crops, particularly corn and soy, are ending up in common food products. These food products are not required to be labeled as containing GMOs, so there is no way to avoid them other than buying foods with an organic label.

Not only is this process unnatural, it also has the potential to be extremely dangerous to our health and the environment. A frequently used method for creating pest resistant plant varieties involves artificially inserting a toxin carrying gene from a soil bacterium, Bacillus thuringiensis, into plant DNA. The resulting plants then produce that toxin, which in turn will kill the larvae of their pests. It is currently unclear how this toxin affects humans. In a similar process, soy beans are genetically engineered so that they can tolerate high levels of pesticide application. As a result more toxic pesticides are being applied to these crops.

We shouldn’t be messing with Mother Nature though; she’ll always find a way around our ingenious ideas. Since the onset of this mass pesticide use, superweeds and superbugs have emerged that have adapted to the pesticides, so that they are in no way effected by them. Unfortunately these superweeds and superbugs have the potential to spread into our natural ecosystems and severely disrupt ecological balances.

Figure 5 GMOs

Figure 5. DNA from a completely non-related organism is inserted into plant DNA so that it produces toxins, making the plant pest resistant. Source: Kerry Soltis

It’s all pretty scary stuff, especially when you consider that Monsanto, the major U.S. company behind all of this genetic engineering, has gone so far as to patent their genomic creations. Farmers who elect to plant GMO crops must sign an agreement that they will not save seeds. Even worse, as wind, insects, and birds spread the seeds and pollen of GMO crops, heirloom crops become contaminated with the GMO DNA. Heirloom farmers have no way of knowing that their crops have been contaminated until they plant the compromised seeds. Monsanto has such a stronghold on the industry that when this occurs the heirloom farmers are sued for infringement on patent laws rather than Monsanto being penalized for contaminating the crops of these farmers.

Consumers, gardeners, and local farmers hold the power when it comes to fighting back against food modification. If we change our perception of the perfect produce and begin selecting fruits and vegetables that are locally grown, nutritious, and flavorful, agriculture will have no choice but to respond accordingly. It’s Darwinism at the grocery store level. We get to decide what is fit to stock the shelves and what isn’t!

BRAVO to Europe and Russia for banning Genetically Modified Organisms! The above (Monsanto suing unsuspecting farmers whose heirlooms have been unknowingly implanted with gmo DNA) is an insanity which this country is playing into. No wonder people in the know actually use the word 'evil' to describe them

Alice:

On a side note--

A few years ago one of our daughter's friends went to China for a six-month stint teaching English (and to practice his Chinese). When he returned home, we were all astonished to see him. He looked like he'd been in a concentration camp: lost a massive amount of weight, emaciated next to his twin brother. He told us that that was not the case; that he'd been fed to the point he couldn't eat anything more. The difference, he said, was that none of the food in China has been genetically modified--whether plant or animal. It's against their law. Animals aren't fed the large amounts of antibiotics ours are; plants are not modified. So he ate a large amount of a balanced diet and grew into the weight nature intended him to have. Meanwhile, we all looked like we were obese to him after six months away. He was at his perfect biomass index.

Fast forward to one year later and he was back to his "American" size. What does that tell you?

Bob

Last edited by theophan; 06/05/13 06:50 PM. Reason: spelling
following this thread with great interest, thanks! I've been subscribing, or trying to once again, to the Paleo Eating strategy, which touches upon what's being discussed here, a great deal.

M
M
Please also see. www.organicconsumers.org/ [organicconsumers.org] irradlink.cfm

OP Offline
Michele mentioned the irritated food, a simple example - have seen the bacon packages - Pre cooked like this? http://www.kraftbrands.com/oscarmayer/bacon/fully-cooked.html.

That's how they do it! Radiation

There are huge battles going on in the USA with people growing gardens and cities stoping them. They are trying to take away the old seeds. It crazy!

Originally Posted by theophan
Alice:

On a side note--

A few years ago one of our daughter's friends went to China for a six-month stint teaching English (and to practice his Chinese). When he returned home, we were all astonished to see him. He looked like he'd been in a concentration camp: lost a massive amount of weight, emaciated next to his twin brother. He told us that that was not the case; that he'd been fed to the point he couldn't eat anything more. The difference, he said, was that none of the food in China has been genetically modified--whether plant or animal. It's against their law. Animals aren't fed the large amounts of antibiotics ours are; plants are not modified. So he ate a large amount of a balanced diet and grew into the weight nature intended him to have. Meanwhile, we all looked like we were obese to him after six months away. He was at his perfect biomass index.

Fast forward to one year later and he was back to his "American" size. What does that tell you?

Bob

Absolutely--it is our food!

There has to be a reason that Americans *used* to be the leanest people back in the 50's and 60's, but are now the fattest despite all our dieting. All our diets are extreme: no carbs, no fats, no meats, etc...if only we ate healthful food prepared at home with good fats like olive and coconut oil, we wouldn't need all the extreme diet plans.

Being part of the Greek American community, I have heard so many people say that they cannot understand why, after visiting Greece on vacation, and eating out every day and eating more than they do here in the U.S., they lost weight.

Last edited by theophan; 06/05/13 06:51 PM. Reason: my spelling
Alice:

If people went to Greece and ate the food, they'd be doing what nature intended with a balanced diet--maintain weight and burn excess fat. An interesting thing about our body fat is that it's the place where many of the toxins we take in are stored. So when these toxins are no longer in our intake, the body naturally moves to rid itself of the stored fat-containing toxins. It's all about the fact that the body can rid itself of toxins but when it is overwhelmed it starts to create the fat that stores the toxins it wants to rid itself of at a later time. But the later time never comes about because the whole food supply is chock full of the very stuff the body can't rid itself of naturally in a single day.

Bob

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Alice, theophan 

Link Copied to Clipboard
The Byzantine Forum provides message boards for discussions focusing on Eastern Christianity (though discussions of other topics are welcome). The views expressed herein are those of the participants and may or may not reflect the teachings of the Byzantine Catholic or any other Church. The Byzantine Forum and the www.byzcath.org site exist to help build up the Church but are unofficial, have no connection with any Church entity, and should not be looked to as a source for official information for any Church. All posts become property of byzcath.org. Contents copyright - 1996-2024 (Forum 1998-2023). All rights reserved.