The Byzantine Forum
Newest Members
Rocco, Hvizsgyak, P.W., Ramon, PeaceBeToAll
5,982 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
1 members (1 invisible), 167 guests, and 48 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Photos
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
by orthodoxsinner2, September 30
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
by Veronica.H, April 24
Byzantine Catholic Outreach of Iowa
Exterior of Holy Angels Byzantine Catholic Parish
Church of St Cyril of Turau & All Patron Saints of Belarus
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics35,388
Posts416,719
Members5,982
Most Online3,380
Dec 29th, 2019
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Alice Offline OP
OP Offline
Erdogan calls Christian Byzantium "a dark chapter" in history

Istanbul, May 30, 2013

The prime minister of Turkey Recep Tayyip Erdogan has called the time of Christian emperors in Byzantium "a dark chapter" in history. In Erdogan's view, in the fifteenth century, after invasion of Constantinople by Muslims, began "the time of enlightenment," reports Kath.net.

The speech of the conservative Turkish prime minister was made during the laying of the foundation of the new road bridge over the Bosphorus in Istanbul that took place on May 29--the anniversary of Ottoman invasion of the Byzantine empire 1453.

“We are continuing to write the history today," said Erdogan during the ceremony.

The Turkish authorities have celebrated the anniversary of the victory over Byzantium by a series of festivities.

http://www.pravoslavie.ru/english/61896.htm

Dear Sister Alice,

Erdogan must have been raised in Germany since he's a real "Jerk!" mad

I pray that we may all meet one day in Aghia Sophia in Constantinople to celebrate the Divine Liturgy and reverence the miraculous weeping columns in our common Mother Church.

Alex

E
E
The Grand Ignoramus of Turkey is merely following standard "Religion of Peace" usage. Pre-Islamic Arabic history is officially referred to as the Period of Ignorance. This, of course, is the very period when the better part of Greek learning was translated into Syriac and thence into Arabic. Would we had more such 'dark periods' in our history!

U
U
Originally Posted by Orthodox Catholic
Dear Sister Alice,

Erdogan must have been raised in Germany since he's a real "Jerk!" mad Alex

I'm sorry, brother, but I find that statement as bad and as foolish as anything said by the one to whom it is directed.
How long, O Lord? I hope the Pope Emeritus is not reading this forum. In any case, I'm out. frown

L
L

Erdogan can persecute Christians if he wants. He's a good NATO ally, and that's all that matters.

B
B
Well with his attitude the Turks can probably forget about EU membership!

Dear Utroque,

I doubt if the Pope Emeritus will read this . . .

I apologise profusely for giving offense.

Please don't leave here. I am the one who should leave and will leave now for good.

Shouldn't have come back - my diabetic condition gets the better of me. But that isn't an excuse.

Sorry, once again. This is the last thing I wanted to do. Take care, one and all.

Alex

E
Za myr z'wysot ...
Za myr z'wysot ...
E
Please don't leave here.
Alex,

I would say the same to you.

U
U
I doubt if the Pope Emeritus will read this . . .

I doubt it, too, but I think you got my point. Catholic or Orthodox, Baptist or Lutheran, if we fail to be Christian in our responses to what we perceive, and often is, unjust treatment, then we fail indeed.

"You have heard it said to the Ancients..."

Pace e Bene!

Utroque

D
DMD Offline
D
I agree..

OK, I'm very happy you haven't left, Utroque!

Some of my best friends are "Young Turks," you know!

There is a real problem when someone of the statue of Erdogan speaks like that about Byzantium, would you not agree, especially when Turkey wants to enter the EU.

And, yes, "jerk" isn't a word someone should use as it is rude and in very bad taste (my Kozak ancestors are probably turning over in their graves right about now . . .).

It's bad enough that the Byzantine tradition was villified in the West (with its very own Borgias and the like). The Byzantine empire was quite civilized (for one thing, it never expanded its existing boundaries by military conquest). That, er, "Turkish gentleman" doesn't seem to know an enormous amount about Byzantine history . . .

What about "Turban Cowboy?" wink

Please stay on. It's time for old fellows like me with barely a leg to stand on to retire. Cheers,

Alex

B
B
Alex, a bit off topic, but you are over your limit on private messages and can't be contacted. Some of us would like to know how you are doing, if you are well, and what is going on with you, since we haven't heard from you in some time.

Charles

And, yes, "jerk" isn't a word someone should use as it is rude and in very bad taste (my Kozak ancestors are probably turning over in their graves right about now . . .).
Oh, is that what Utroque was complaining about? I thought he was referring to your negative comment about Germany.

Dear Peter - you Rock!

Well, now I'm confused about it all . . . confused

My reference to "jerk" was part of that old quip that goes: "What do you call someone born in Germany but raised in Turkey? A 'Jerk' (Gerk)." I use a similar quip on myself all the time - half Polish, half Ukie = "Pukie."

Yesterday, Erdogan called the protesters some name that means "vandals" and that got the protesters' "Irish" up . . .

Many more thousands took to the streets with signs playing on that word.

I guess I'm not the only one who needs to be careful about what he says! grin

Alex

Dear Charles,

Happy White Rose Day!

I don't think I'll be getting my PM privileges back any time soon . . .

It's hard to believe but I was something of a trouble-maker (guilty as charged) before I left last time.

What would you like to know?

Alex

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
The Byzantine Forum provides message boards for discussions focusing on Eastern Christianity (though discussions of other topics are welcome). The views expressed herein are those of the participants and may or may not reflect the teachings of the Byzantine Catholic or any other Church. The Byzantine Forum and the www.byzcath.org site exist to help build up the Church but are unofficial, have no connection with any Church entity, and should not be looked to as a source for official information for any Church. All posts become property of byzcath.org. Contents copyright - 1996-2024 (Forum 1998-2023). All rights reserved.