The Byzantine Forum
Newest Members
Annapolis Melkites, Daniel Hoseiny, PaulV, ungvar1900, Donna Zoll
5,993 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 343 guests, and 54 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Photos
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
by orthodoxsinner2, September 30
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
by Veronica.H, April 24
Byzantine Catholic Outreach of Iowa
Exterior of Holy Angels Byzantine Catholic Parish
Church of St Cyril of Turau & All Patron Saints of Belarus
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics35,394
Posts416,751
Members5,993
Most Online3,380
Dec 29th, 2019
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 9 10
C
C

I
I
Well, that's a disappointment and shame.

What's this?
To address an epistle to the clergymen and communities of the Western Rite regarding the need for them to adopt the order of divine services of the Eastern Orthodox Catholic Church, while preserving, when necessary, certain particularities of the Western Rite.
If you are switching to Eastern rite, what "particularities of the Western rite" are you supposed to bring with.

I wonder, can they be released to Antioch?

O
O
The announcement as it is on the official website

Russian Orthodox Church Outside of Russia [synod.com]

Originally Posted by Our Lady's slave
The announcement as it is on the official website

Russian Orthodox Church Outside of Russia [synod.com]

This seems interesting, but I am not familiar with the circumstances.

Can someone break down the background of this, and what is important to understand about it?

C
C
I always wondered what was the point of a western rite. If they wanted to be Orthodox, then be it.

This is terrible news.

I
I
Originally Posted by chadrook
I always wondered what was the point of a western rite. If they wanted to be Orthodox, then be it.
They want to be Orthodox. They don't have to want or be Eastern.

J
JDC Offline
J
Originally Posted by IAlmisry

Uh, kinda like Rusyns and stuff who want to be Catholic without being Western? Can we assume we have therefore heard the last of you griping about Brest etc?

I
I
Originally Posted by JDC

Uh, kinda like Rusyns and stuff who want to be Catholic without being Western? Can we assume we have therefore heard the last of you griping about Brest etc?
not until you can cough up the Eastern Sigismund, and show how the liturgical books have been changed to show the adoption of the West's Scholastic theology (like taking the epiclesis out and putting the filioque in)-you know, the things that are supposedly a no no now.

J
JDC Offline
J
Originally Posted by JDC

not until you can cough up the Eastern Sigismund, and show how the liturgical books have been changed to show the adoption of the West's Scholastic theology (like taking the epiclesis out and putting the filioque in)-you know, the things that are supposedly a no no now.

That's a bit scattered, isn't it, as justifications go? That it's voluntary? As if centuries of membership is coerced, or that a lot of Anglicans just woke up one day and thought "to Antioch!" of pure doctrinal conviction, rather than being chased out of their own religion, and joining whoever would take them and leave their hymnody intact. Anyway, never mind; this debate has been had here, and I find the whole thing silly and romantic and lacking a basic understanding of people and why they do things.

But I appreciate your consistency.

I
I
Originally Posted by JDC
Originally Posted by JDC

That's a bit scattered, isn't it, as justifications go?
No. I like to cover all bases.
Originally Posted by JDC
But I appreciate your consistency.
Thanks.

When I read the news, I spend about 5 seconds imagining what you, DMD, and other Orthodox posters would say if our positions were reversed, i.e. if there were a comparable announcement made about Eastern Catholicism.

Originally Posted by chadrook
Is this ^^ post for real? Western-Rite Orthodox are Orthodox.

I
I
Originally Posted by Peter J
When I read the news, I spend about 5 seconds imagining what you, DMD, and other Orthodox posters would say if our positions were reversed, i.e. if there were a comparable announcement made about Eastern Catholicism.
I'll say it now: the door is always open.

D
DMD Offline
D
I hate to disappoint Peter, but not all (more like not any outside of the internet) Orthodox gave ROCOR's "WRO" any thought during its existence, let alone upon its demise. If the Vicariate's webpage is still up, one can see the average "parish" has about ten souls. To partially borrow from Shakespeare, the whole matter is full of sound and fury, signifying little.

Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 9 10

Moderated by  Irish Melkite 

Link Copied to Clipboard
The Byzantine Forum provides message boards for discussions focusing on Eastern Christianity (though discussions of other topics are welcome). The views expressed herein are those of the participants and may or may not reflect the teachings of the Byzantine Catholic or any other Church. The Byzantine Forum and the www.byzcath.org site exist to help build up the Church but are unofficial, have no connection with any Church entity, and should not be looked to as a source for official information for any Church. All posts become property of byzcath.org. Contents copyright - 1996-2024 (Forum 1998-2023). All rights reserved.