The Byzantine Forum
Newest Members
Rocco, Hvizsgyak, P.W., Ramon, PeaceBeToAll
5,982 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
1 members (1 invisible), 167 guests, and 48 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Photos
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
by orthodoxsinner2, September 30
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
by Veronica.H, April 24
Byzantine Catholic Outreach of Iowa
Exterior of Holy Angels Byzantine Catholic Parish
Church of St Cyril of Turau & All Patron Saints of Belarus
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics35,388
Posts416,719
Members5,982
Most Online3,380
Dec 29th, 2019
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
I
OP Offline
I
Shevchuk: Moscow Must Hear Metropolitan Anthony's Words about the Stable Relations between the Greek Catholics and Orthodox in Galicia

...Cardinal Kurt Koch said that the question of proselytism is very complex, because some accusations of proselytism are groundless....

...The head of the UGCC...who accompanied the distinguished guest at the Ukrainian Catholic University, expressed his wish for the allegations by the Russian Orthodox Church against the Greek Catholics to become a thing of the past.

“For 20 years we have been hearing the accusations, but the problems are only when there is a reluctance to have unity. The words of Metropolitan Anthony are extremely important and we hope that finally all the accusations against the Greek Catholics, which we hear from representatives of the Russian Orthodox Church, become a thing of the past. We hope that this information, which is coming from a representative of the UOC-MP, will be heard in Moscow, by the Russian Orthodox Church. As for us, the Greek Catholics, we will always speak the truth, no matter how bitter it may be,”...

The issue of “proselytism by the UGCC” and the conflict between Greek Catholics and the Orthodox of the Moscow Patriarchate in Western Ukraine has always been raised by the hierarchy of the Russian Orthodox Church before the Vatican when there is discussion about establishing the Orthodox-Catholic dialogue and the opportunity for the Patriarch of Moscow to meet with the pope. The favorite topic of the Russian Orthodox Church clergy is the “forced liquidation” of three Orthodox eparchies in Galicia in the early 1990s...
https://www.byzcath.org/index.php/n...-greek-catholics-and-orthodox-in-galicia

How about those accusations grounded in fact?

How about the basis of those accusations becoming a thing of the past?

"the problems are only when there is a reluctance to have unity.' Hmmm. Rather cryptic: what "unity" is being spoken of?

How about hearing the truth "no matter how bitter it may be"?

Are those same eparchies the UGCC and Mjr. Abp. Sviatoslav Shevchuk's favorite topic as well? I know I hear about them all the time.

You (conveniently) left out the last part:

Meanwhile, on May 27, during the seventh Festival of Orthodox Media in Lviv, the administrator of the UOC-MP Metropolitan Anthony (Pakanych) of Boryspil said that in Galicia there is no tension between the Orthodox and the Greek Catholics and the relationship between the two churches in this region is stable.

S
S
Originally Posted by IAlmisry

Which accusations are you referring to, specifically?

Having spent time in Ukraine on more than one occasion, it is my experience that where the UGCC is most active in what is supposed to the MP's 'territory', there is little more than nominal activity on the part of Moscow.

Perhaps it would be better for the harvest to go to seed than to harvest while its ripe. That way, at least Moscow wouldn't be offended.

V
V
Originally Posted by Slavophile

Which accusations are you referring to, specifically?

Having spent time in Ukraine on more than one occasion, it is my experience that where the UGCC is most active in what is supposed to the MP's 'territory', there is little more than nominal activity on the part of Moscow.

Perhaps it would be better for the harvest to go to seed than to harvest while its ripe. That way, at least Moscow wouldn't be offended.

and "not offending Moscow" is the main goal for WHOM precisely?

somebody on the other thread was talking about lowered self-esteem and feeling of "second class citizenship" on the part of Ukrainian Catholics. What I constantly see, though, the feeling of second-class is definitely not on the part of Ukrainians in Ukraine.

It looks like there are a lot of those in the West feeling second-class to Moscow for the reason I could never understand.

That would be nice, of course, but we're all human.

The favorite topic of the Russian Orthodox Church clergy is the “forced liquidation” of three Orthodox eparchies in Galicia in the early 1990s...

Funny that the church that helped the actual forced liquidation of an entire Greek Catholic Church at a so called "synod" would bring this up.
[quote]

I would hope that one day Moscow Patriarchate may ask forgiveness for its treatment of Greek Catholics during the soviet period, but some how I doubt it will ever happen.

S
S
"Never explain, never apologize"

Originally Posted by StuartK
"Never explain, never apologize"

Sounds good. Well, not to me, but you know.

Link Copied to Clipboard
The Byzantine Forum provides message boards for discussions focusing on Eastern Christianity (though discussions of other topics are welcome). The views expressed herein are those of the participants and may or may not reflect the teachings of the Byzantine Catholic or any other Church. The Byzantine Forum and the www.byzcath.org site exist to help build up the Church but are unofficial, have no connection with any Church entity, and should not be looked to as a source for official information for any Church. All posts become property of byzcath.org. Contents copyright - 1996-2024 (Forum 1998-2023). All rights reserved.