The Byzantine Forum
Newest Members
Paderau, Chaplainjosephg66, JamesOrange, elisha, Samuil
5,977 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 182 guests, and 65 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Photos
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
by orthodoxsinner2, September 30
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
by Veronica.H, April 24
Byzantine Catholic Outreach of Iowa
Exterior of Holy Angels Byzantine Catholic Parish
Church of St Cyril of Turau & All Patron Saints of Belarus
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics35,385
Posts416,710
Members5,977
Most Online3,380
Dec 29th, 2019
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 9 10
I
I
Originally Posted by Nelson Chase
Do issues like this one not highlight the need for a strong primacy of the Bishop of Rome?

Nathan Monk was the last straw: a 28-year-old showoff priest wannabe who loudly quit everything after eight months. He was the bomb that blew up Western Rite ROCOR, even though he wasn't WR when he quit. He was one of those hastily ordained for WR.

Sad story really. I for one was taken in by his outreach to the homeless.
No, they do not.

C
C
Do issues like this one not highlight the need for a strong primacy of the Bishop of Rome?

Nathan Monk was the last straw: a 28-year-old showoff priest wannabe who loudly quit everything after eight months. He was the bomb that blew up Western Rite ROCOR, even though he wasn't WR when he quit. He was one of those hastily ordained for WR.

Sad story really. I for one was taken in by his outreach to the homeless.

Nelson, I dont understand what this has to do with Rome?

Fogey, you are wrong about Nathan Monk. He was only a part of the issue. This goes way back the the Fr John Shaw years and the secret western rite parishes that found their hiding places in the hinterlands of middle and western America. It wasn't until his elevation to Bishop and gramata for internet activity that landed him on the east coast. Here, where there is an abundance of Russians, that his activities landed him in hot water.

Alright! Post #28, I win the pool!

I
I
Originally Posted by Peter J
What is post #28?

F
F
The Western Rite has not disappeared in the Russian Orthodox Church Outside of Russia (ROCOR), nor will it do so, in my opinion. You may notice that I can speak with some authority on this subject. None of the four members of the Commission created by the Synod of Bishops is hostile to the Western Rite. In fact, three of the four (including its President) are on record supporting the Western Rite in ROCOR. Please, let's have no more nonsense. In taking in an existing body, and allowing the leadership of that body to operate the way they had been operating outside the Church, several regrettable decisions were made by ROCOR. These need to be corrected and our Western Rite communities set on the right path. It's as simple as that.

Archpriest (sometimes styled 'Protopriest') David Straut

Online Content
Originally Posted by Fr David Straut
The Western Rite has not disappeared in the Russian Orthodox Church Outside of Russia (ROCOR), nor will it do so, in my opinion. You may notice that I can speak with some authority on this subject. None of the four members of the Commission created by the Synod of Bishops is hostile to the Western Rite. In fact, three of the four (including its President) are on record supporting the Western Rite in ROCOR. Please, let's have no more nonsense. In taking in an existing body, and allowing the leadership of that body to operate the way they had been operating outside the Church, several regrettable decisions were made by ROCOR. These need to be corrected and our Western Rite communities set on the right path. It's as simple as that.

Are the Western Rite parishes being forced to adopt the Byzantine Rite or not?

My cromulent posts embiggen this forum.
F
F
Originally Posted by Fr. Deacon Lance

Father Deacon, I would have thought from what I just said (you quote it) that I very clearly said that they are not being forced to adopt the Byzantine Rite.

Fr David

Originally Posted by IAlmisry
Originally Posted by Peter J
What is post #28?
I bet on posts # 26-30. Post #28 was the first one to say the ROCOR decision points to a need for a strong papal primacy, so I won the pool.

C
C

Father, since you sit on the commission can you clarify these two points?
8) To address an epistle to the clergymen and communities of the Western Rite regarding the need for them to adopt the order of divine services of the Eastern Orthodox Catholic Church, while preserving, when necessary, certain particularities of the Western Rite.

9) To emphasize our adherence to the rules and traditions of the Eastern Orthodox Catholic Church in general and of the Russian Orthodox Church in particular.

It makes since that Fr. Anthony is on the commission, he has been running a western rite liturgy for 20+ years.

Online Content

Father Deacon, I would have thought from what I just said (you quote it) that I very clearly said that they are not being forced to adopt the Byzantine Rite.

Fr David

I ask because these two points seem to contradict that:

8) To address an epistle to the clergymen and communities of the Western Rite regarding the need for them to adopt the order of divine services of the Eastern Orthodox Catholic Church, while preserving, when necessary, certain particularities of the Western Rite.

9) To emphasize our adherence to the rules and traditions of the Eastern Orthodox Catholic Church in general and of the Russian Orthodox Church in particular.

My cromulent posts embiggen this forum.
T
T

Fr David

I ask because these two points seem to contradict that:

Fr David's the authority here but this sounds like shutting down the WR to me.

I bet on posts # 26-30. Post #28 was the first one to say the ROCOR decision points to a need for a strong papal primacy, so I won the pool.

I'm glad that I could help Peter. Please send me my share of the earnings. wink grin

T
T
Let's see:

Moose and Elks have lodges.

Knights of Columbus have councils.

My guess is that post #28 is VFW or American Legion. laugh

My guess is that post #28 is VFW or American Legion. laugh

I belong to VFW Post #9578 in Alpine, Ca. grin

I'm glad that I could help Peter. Please send me my share of the earnings. wink grin
Sorry frown that's against the rules.

Page 3 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 9 10

Moderated by  Irish Melkite 

Link Copied to Clipboard
The Byzantine Forum provides message boards for discussions focusing on Eastern Christianity (though discussions of other topics are welcome). The views expressed herein are those of the participants and may or may not reflect the teachings of the Byzantine Catholic or any other Church. The Byzantine Forum and the www.byzcath.org site exist to help build up the Church but are unofficial, have no connection with any Church entity, and should not be looked to as a source for official information for any Church. All posts become property of byzcath.org. Contents copyright - 1996-2024 (Forum 1998-2023). All rights reserved.