The Byzantine Forum
Newest Members
Annapolis Melkites, Daniel Hoseiny, PaulV, ungvar1900, Donna Zoll
5,993 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 295 guests, and 54 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Photos
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
by orthodoxsinner2, September 30
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
by Veronica.H, April 24
Byzantine Catholic Outreach of Iowa
Exterior of Holy Angels Byzantine Catholic Parish
Church of St Cyril of Turau & All Patron Saints of Belarus
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics35,394
Posts416,751
Members5,993
Most Online3,380
Dec 29th, 2019
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#396811 07/16/13 10:37 AM
Alice Offline OP
OP Offline
Has anyone read this book or seen the movie?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Shoes_of_the_Fisherman

I caught the movie the other night on television. The book was apparently a #1 best seller on the NY Times list in 1963.

Anthony Quinn played the Ukrainian Pope, but I don't think that he did a good job of either conveying 'popeliness' or of having a Ukrainian/Slavic accent at all. He sounded Italian! LOL!

Quinn was Mexican and he did a superb job every time he played a Greek in a movie (Zorba, Onassis), but he really did not play, in my opinion, this part very well as well (I couldn't get over the accent).

What do you think? The plot was fascinating, considering the historical time in which it was set, and was almost prophetic in some instances...

T
T
For an authentic slavic accent there were limited choices in Hollywood.

Jack Palance, Walter Slezak, Yul Brynner, can anyone think of others?

Alice Offline OP
OP Offline
Originally Posted by Two Lungs
For an authentic slavic accent there were limited choices in Hollywood.

Jack Palance, Walter Slezak, Yul Brynner, can anyone think of others?

True, but a good actor or an actor that is talented on affecting accents, could have done a better job.

Quinn's Greek accent was pretty good. Another actor's Slavic affectation could have been better than Quinn's..

It reminds me of another terrible casting (just to have a 'name')--that of Nicholas Cage in one of the most poignant and beautiful movies I have ever seen: 'Corelli's Mandolin'. His Italian accent was pretty bad!

It was such a powerful performance I didn't mind the accent or lack of beard. Kyril Lakota was based on Metropolitan Andrey Sheptytsky

My cromulent posts embiggen this forum.
U
U
I thought the book/movie was based on the life of Patriarch/Major-Archbishop/Cardinal Josip Slipyi, who was released from a Soviet prison camp in the early 1960's?

S
S
It was.

L
L
Yes the book and movie are based on the life of Cardinal Slipyj who was released from the gulag and arrived in Rome just as in time to participate in the Second Vatican Council.

Sorry, you guys are correct. I had the wrong Ukrainian Catholic Archbishop.

My cromulent posts embiggen this forum.
J
JLF Offline
J
And did you realize there are many parallels between Pope Francis and Pope "Kyril" from the movie/book?

- both are "firsts" for the name they chose
- both are from outside of Italy
- both take a very different approach than expected to their ministry
- both have concern for the poor
- both have close connections to the Ukrainian Greek-Catholic Church
- both receive "a box of earth" from their homeland (Pope Kyril receives Ukrainian soil when the Russian interrogator visits Rome with the message from the Communist leader; Pope Francis received a box of earth from Argentina from Metropolitan Tarasios, Greek Orthodox from Buenos Aires who was part of EP Bartholomew's group for the inauguration; I saw Metr. Tarasios, a friend of mine from his early days as Archdeacon in Constantinople 15 years ago, and an American-born Greek Orthodox, give the box at the audience with other ecumenical leaders which was reported in the press as containing dirt from Argentina so His Holiness would "never be far from home")

Interesting, eh?

The movie is one of my favorites, and I would love to find a DVD of it -- I have a well-worn VHS tape that won't play on any of my machines anymore!

Jack

J
J
you can get it here:

Amazon [amazon.com]

Alice Offline OP
OP Offline
Originally Posted by Fr. Deacon Lance

Could this part of the fictional Pope 'Kyril' (who speaks Hebrew fluently in the movie and even chants their prayers) have been borrowed from Metropolitan Andrey Sheptysky:

As a student he learned Hebrew in order to better relate to the Jewish community. During pastoral visits to Jewish villages he was sometimes met with the Torah.[citation needed] During World War II he harbored hundreds of Jews in his residence and in Greek Catholic monasteries.[4] He also issued the pastoral letter, "Thou Shalt Not Kill,"[5] to protest Nazi atrocities. During this period he secretly consecrated Josyf Slipyj as his successor.

Although this about Cardinal Slipyj is definitely inspiration for Pope 'Kyril' in them movie:

Slipyj's prison writings managed to circulate. In 1957 Pope Pius XII sent him a congratulatory letter on the 40th anniversary of his ordination to the priesthood. It was confiscated, and also on account of his circulating writings, he was sentenced to seven more years in prison. On 23 January 1963, he was freed by Nikita Khrushchev's administration after political pressure from Pope John XXIII and United States President John F. Kennedy. He arrived in Rome in time to participate in the Second Vatican Council.

In other words, to create a fictional character, often the inspiration is borrowed from more than one real life person.

Dear Alice,

The author of the book, "Shoes of the Fisherman" did indeed take his inspiration for the main character from the Hierarch-Confessor Josyf Slipyj.

The creators of the movie, however, emphasized a mythical "Russian Catholic Archbishop of Lvov" where there were never any such (there was only one reference in the movie to "Ukrainian" when Kyril Lakota was on the plane to Rome and was told he would be assigned to the Ukrainian college etc.).

They did this when they learned Slipyj had blessed the Galician Division that had trained in German arms to fight Soviet forces.

Those that are quick to judge here will forget the mass murders by starvation, secret police terror and mass deportations to Siberia unleashed by the Soviet Union on Ukraine and their other victim-nations.

Alex

E
E
Originally Posted by JLF
And did you realize there are many parallels between Pope Francis and Pope "Kyril" from the movie/book?

Except for the name, many of those parallels might also be drawn to Pope John Paul II. I think it was his shadow that I cast within the story when I first watched the movie in the 1980's. But then again, that was in the 1980's.

E
E
Originally Posted by eastwardlean?
I think it was his shadow that I cast within the story when I first watched the movie in the 1980's.

...it was his shadow that I SAW cast...

G
G
Originally Posted by Alice
Originally Posted by Fr. Deacon Lance

Could this part of the fictional Pope 'Kyril' (who speaks Hebrew fluently in the movie and even chants their prayers) have been borrowed from Metropolitan Andrey Sheptysky:

As a student he learned Hebrew in order to better relate to the Jewish community. During pastoral visits to Jewish villages he was sometimes met with the Torah.[citation needed] During World War II he harbored hundreds of Jews in his residence and in Greek Catholic monasteries.[4] He also issued the pastoral letter, "Thou Shalt Not Kill,"[5] to protest Nazi atrocities. During this period he secretly consecrated Josyf Slipyj as his successor.

Although this about Cardinal Slipyj is definitely inspiration for Pope 'Kyril' in them movie:

Slipyj's prison writings managed to circulate. In 1957 Pope Pius XII sent him a congratulatory letter on the 40th anniversary of his ordination to the priesthood. It was confiscated, and also on account of his circulating writings, he was sentenced to seven more years in prison. On 23 January 1963, he was freed by Nikita Khrushchev's administration after political pressure from Pope John XXIII and United States President John F. Kennedy. He arrived in Rome in time to participate in the Second Vatican Council.

In other words, to create a fictional character, often the inspiration is borrowed from more than one real life person.

Another real life person who served as inspiration for the character of Pope Kiril Lakota was Blessed Hieromartyr Hryhorij Lakota, hence the name "Lakota".

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Irish Melkite, theophan 

Link Copied to Clipboard
The Byzantine Forum provides message boards for discussions focusing on Eastern Christianity (though discussions of other topics are welcome). The views expressed herein are those of the participants and may or may not reflect the teachings of the Byzantine Catholic or any other Church. The Byzantine Forum and the www.byzcath.org site exist to help build up the Church but are unofficial, have no connection with any Church entity, and should not be looked to as a source for official information for any Church. All posts become property of byzcath.org. Contents copyright - 1996-2024 (Forum 1998-2023). All rights reserved.