The Byzantine Forum
Newest Members
Augoustinos, Poliscifi, The Cub, P H, Hardrada
5604 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
1 registered members (1 invisible), 68 guests, and 444 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Photos
Church of the Holy Trinity (UGCC) - Brazil
Papal Audience 10 November 2017
Upgraded Russian icon corner
Russian Greek Catholic Global Congress
OL EuroEast II (2007) Group
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics34,747
Posts412,016
Members5,604
Most Online2,716
Jun 7th, 2012
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Crosses in Front of Names #398129 08/15/13 10:19 PM
Roamin' Catholic Offline OP
OP Offline
What does it mean when I see a "+" in front of someone's name? At first I thought maybe it was an indicator to show the person has passed away, but I've seen it used on living bishops, too. I realize the "+" sign is likely a representation of the Cross.

Re: Crosses in Front of Names [Re: Roamin' Catholic] #398138 08/16/13 10:13 AM
C
Chtec Offline
C
A cross (+) in print is usually an indication that the Sign of the Cross is to be made.

In liturgical books, or prayer books, you may see a + used to indicate that the celebrant is to bless.

When placed before the name of a layperson, it indicates that the person is deceased. This probably stems from the custom of making the sign of the Cross at the mention of the departed.

If a bishop signs his name with a cross, it is his way of bestowing a blessing upon the recipient(s) of the letter.

Fr. David

Re: Crosses in Front of Names [Re: Chtec] #398139 08/16/13 10:30 AM
Orthodox Catholic Offline
Bless, Father David!

Some lay Orthodox friends of mine like to place a three-bar Cross at the top of their letters and notes to me and then "sandwich" their signatures on same between two three-bar Crosses.

I like that, but not if it appears to imitate how the clergy sign their letters.

How may a layperson place a Cross on correspondence?

Also, does a priest place a Cross before his signature and a bishop after it?

Kissing your right hand, I again implore your blessing,

Alex

Re: Crosses in Front of Names [Re: Chtec] #398141 08/16/13 11:12 AM
Thomas the Seeker Offline
The same useage within liturgical Lutherans and Anglicans, with the augmentation that a double cross (++) is placed before the name of the Presiding Bishop or Archbishop...perhaps to distinguish rank as in one star vs. two star generals.

Re: Crosses in Front of Names [Re: Roamin' Catholic] #398144 08/16/13 12:36 PM
Roamin' Catholic Offline OP
OP Offline
Thanks for the responses!

The Byzantine Forum provides message boards for discussions focusing on Eastern Christianity (though discussions of other topics are welcome). The views expressed herein are those of the participants and may or may not reflect the teachings of the Byzantine Catholic or any other Church. The Byzantine Forum and the www.byzcath.org site exist to help build up the Church but are unofficial, have no connection with any Church entity, and should not be looked to as a source for official information for any Church. All posts become property of byzcath.org. Contents copyright - 1996-2019 (Forum 1998-2019). All rights reserved.