The Byzantine Forum
Newest Members
Rocco, Hvizsgyak, P.W., Ramon, PeaceBeToAll
5,982 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
1 members (1 invisible), 167 guests, and 48 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Photos
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
by orthodoxsinner2, September 30
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
by Veronica.H, April 24
Byzantine Catholic Outreach of Iowa
Exterior of Holy Angels Byzantine Catholic Parish
Church of St Cyril of Turau & All Patron Saints of Belarus
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics35,388
Posts416,719
Members5,982
Most Online3,380
Dec 29th, 2019
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
S
S
That will soon be four popes to become saints with the upcoming canonization of Blessed Pope John Paul II, who visited Ukraine in November 2001.

Yeah, this is beginning to get a bit troubling. Does winning the election automatically make you a saint?

Originally Posted by StuartK
That will soon be four popes to become saints with the upcoming canonization of Blessed Pope John Paul II, who visited Ukraine in November 2001.

Yeah, this is beginning to get a bit troubling. Does winning the election automatically make you a saint?

If you believe that if the electors were guided by the Holy Spirit in the choice, you would think that might be an indication of being on the "Fast Track". As long as they were faithful to gospel.

OP Offline
Dear Amigo Griego,

I meant St John Paul II as the third pope. So the tally is: St Clement I, St Martin I, and St John Paul II.

Alex

OP Offline
Dear Lawrence,

Actually, I agree with you! It is just too modern a building.

And, personally, I secretly hoped that, by now, there would be perfect unity between the UGCC and Ukrainian Orthodoxy so that there would not have been a need for separate UGCC churches and the cathedral in Kyiv.

And why couldn't the UGCC kept its main centre in Lviv, and not venture into Kyiv which is really an Orthodox city?

Just some thoughts.

Alex

OP Offline
Dear Stuart,

Well, not automatically. But St John Paul II certainly grew tremendously in his experience of Theosis in Christ by means of the Holy Spirit.

And miracles through his intercession have been reported to Rome (in their thousands) even by agnostics.

Anyone who could appeal to people of all stripes like that was certainly very special, to say the least.

When I was at the legislature, I worked on a proposed legislative bill to declare a "Pope John Paul II Day" in Ontario. The petition we sent out came back with thousands of signatures, 5,000 signatures in only one day (I counted the petition signatures three times because no one believed there were that many signatories in one 24-hour period).

One of the signatories came in to see me, an Orthodox Jew who said his father insisted he bring in his petition. He said Pope John Paul saved his father's life during the war, hiding him and then working with the Underground to get him out of Europe.

If the Vox Populi has anything to do with it (and I think you would strenuously insist that it does), then I saw the Vox Populi speak very loudly even when it came to this secular endeavour.

As for winning the election, as you know, the Coptic Popes of Alexandria are ALL canonized saints in that Church, beginning with St Mark the Evangelist.

Alex

E
Za myr z'wysot ...
Za myr z'wysot ...
E
Originally Posted by StuartK
Originally Posted by griego catolico
I personally liked the way the people of Rome called for JP2's canonization at the time of his funeral--almost like the way the people of Milan once called for Ambrose to be named bishop!

Originally Posted by Orthodox Catholic
And why couldn't the UGCC kept its main centre in Lviv, and not venture into Kyiv which is really an Orthodox city?
I think we've had a discussion on that. I don't recall the name of the thread.

OP Offline
I remember that thread, but don't remember any infallible pronouncements on the conclusion! smile

You Rock!

Alex

A
A
Actually, I agree with you! It is just too modern a building.
I am not a fan of modernist looking Churches either, but I hope the general appearance of the building will improve when more iconography is placed on the walls inside.

It's far from complete. Of course it will "improve".

The church can be listed as one of the ugliest I have ever seen. Could make the cover of "Ugly As Sin" book.

OP Offline
Well, I've seen worse Churches in my travels. . .

However, that's not what will make or break it. We Eastern Christians, Catholic, Orthodox, Oriental Orthodox etc. can sometimes surround ourselves with beautiful icons, church buildings, chants and vestments in the midst of thick clouds of incense.

That may gratify many of us, but its not all that is about Christianity.

As a religion teacher to hundreds of Eastern Catholics and Orthodox over the last twenty years, I know there are so many adults and teenagers who attend Church with all that wonderful "Eastern beauty" but whose lives are empty because Christ isn't in them.

The events in Kyiv last weekend at least had this going for them - they exuded the Presence of Christ.

I felt this only by seeing the videos and speaking with those who were in attendance.

I would trade that Presence for all the icons, incense and cupola-laden church roofs in the world.

There is a crisis in our pews and that is the crisis of prayer and worship. Yes, liturgical and ecclesial beauty can aid that immeasureably. So why is it that so many adults don't have a prayer life but go to Church and Communion every Sunday, and may even sing in the choir?

What terrible crisis are we really in?

Alex

Last edited by Orthodox Catholic; 08/22/13 11:37 PM.
I remember that thread, but don't remember any infallible pronouncements on the conclusion! smile

You Rock!

Um ... okay.

[Linked Image]

G
G
Dear Amigo Griego,

I meant St John Paul II as the third pope. So the tally is: St Clement I, St Martin I, and St John Paul II.

Alex

Your'e absolutely right! My bad. Read the post incorrectly. Thank you for the correction.

G
G
Originally Posted by Ray S.
The church can be listed as one of the ugliest I have ever seen. Could make the cover of "Ugly As Sin" book.

I wouldn't go that far. It certainly doesn't look like this: http://veneremurcernui.files.wordpress.com/2013/06/fuksas-575x351.jpg

The cathedral does look like a church to me, although modern in style. I am not crazy though about the green dome- I believe it is copper that since changed color.

Not sure why the UGCC went for a modern look. I wished it had looked more like the future cathedral in Kyiv for the UOC-MP: http://festzmi.org/sites/festzmi.org/files/imagecache/highslide_full/IMG_1360.JPG

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
The Byzantine Forum provides message boards for discussions focusing on Eastern Christianity (though discussions of other topics are welcome). The views expressed herein are those of the participants and may or may not reflect the teachings of the Byzantine Catholic or any other Church. The Byzantine Forum and the www.byzcath.org site exist to help build up the Church but are unofficial, have no connection with any Church entity, and should not be looked to as a source for official information for any Church. All posts become property of byzcath.org. Contents copyright - 1996-2024 (Forum 1998-2023). All rights reserved.