The Byzantine Forum
Newest Members
Galumph, Leon_C, Rocco, Hvizsgyak, P.W.
5,984 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
1 members (1 invisible), 246 guests, and 50 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Photos
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
by orthodoxsinner2, September 30
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
by Veronica.H, April 24
Byzantine Catholic Outreach of Iowa
Exterior of Holy Angels Byzantine Catholic Parish
Church of St Cyril of Turau & All Patron Saints of Belarus
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics35,389
Posts416,722
Members5,984
Most Online3,380
Dec 29th, 2019
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
B
OP Offline
B
I'm not sure where to put this, so please move if this isn't the right place.

My pastor just sent me this video of a Ukrainian Divine Liturgy filmed recently. The youtube description says:

The Divine Liturgy of St. John Chrysostom was celebrated at the 2013 Napa Institute Conference by the Rt. Rev. Mitered Protopresbyter Andriy Chirovsky, Fr. David Anderson, Fr. Ted Wroblicky, and Fr. James Bankston, along with Deacon Alex Wroblicky and Deacon Sabatino Carnazzo.

Last edited by babochka; 09/15/13 11:08 AM.
Beautiful. Thank you for sharing smile

Originally Posted by babochka
I'm not sure where to put this, so please move if this isn't the right place.

My pastor just sent me this video of a Ukrainian Divine Liturgy filmed recently. The youtube description says:

The Divine Liturgy of St. John Chrysostom was celebrated at the 2013 Napa Institute Conference by the Rt. Rev. Mitered Protopresbyter Andriy Chirovsky, Fr. David Anderson, Fr. Ted Wroblicky, and Fr. James Bankston, along with Deacon Alex Wroblicky and Deacon Sabatino Carnazzo.

O
O
When did the laity start exchanging the Kiss of Peace ?

S
S
There is much to laud in that DL, but I found myself squirming at certain bits as well; NOT because of any lack on the part of the celebrants, but because there were certain idiosyncrasies in the service that made me raise my eyebrows a few times. To the Latin audience, I'm sure they wouldn't have made any difference, but to a Greek audience, they itch a bit.

For one thing, I know my own bishop would not approve of wearing the skoufia in place of a kamilavka, as if it was liturgical - as opposed to extra-liturgical - headgear.

Then, with no iconostas and no solea, there was no liturgical movement of the deacons - for example, to the side during the singing of the first antiphon. And why not sing the second antiphon?

O
O
Now now Father - how many UGCC Churches do you know where they take the 2nd Antiphon ? :P

It was very beautiful Liturgy regardless.

B
OP Offline
B
Originally Posted by Our Lady's slave

Yes, that was a bit strange, and also very noisy.

Hope you did not miss seeing the very beautiful Divine Liturgy on EWTN this past Saturday afternoon.

G
G
EWTN had Divine Liturgy of Exaltation of the Holy Cross on TV .
It was beautifully sung by the choir but I noticed that they sang the Trisagion and not the " To you Cross Oh Master..." as should have been used or can changes be made?

Kolya

B
OP Offline
B
Originally Posted by Pavloosh
Hope you did not miss seeing the very beautiful Divine Liturgy on EWTN this past Saturday afternoon.

Unfortunately, I did miss it. Does anybody know if it will be on again?

D
DMD Offline
D

How, I have to ask, is that consistent with the Vatican 2 directive that the Eastern churches strive to return to a more authentic tradition? Innovations like that truly rub us Orthodox the wrong way and reinforce our reflexive response which is to distrust the Vatican. I can only imagine the reaction from more traditionalist Orthodox quarters.

S
S
I share your concern DMD. I don't want to be negative, but I have enquirers asking me about the Eastern Catholic Church all the time, including what our liturgical life is like. As a 'Byzantiniser' myself, and someone who would happily self-describe as 'Orthodox-in-communion-with-Rome', I want to be able to point to resources that actually reflect that position.

S
S
As Fr. Taft says, "It's the Kiss of Peace, not "a kiss apiece".

G
G
Originally Posted by DMD

Innovations like that truly rub us Orthodox the wrong way and reinforce our reflexive response which is to distrust the Vatican.

But, DMD, aren't there Orthodox parishes who have introduced innovations on their own initiatives? Altar girls, for example?

I suggest attending a celebration of one of the most ancient extant Anaphorae, that of Sts. Addai and Mari. You will find the Kiss of Peace begun with the clergy to the deacons and then passed to the subdeacons (if present) and then the congregation. It is also practiced in the Armenian Apostolic Church with the person offering the greeting inclining his head first to the right, and then to the left of the person with the greeting "Christ is revealed among us" with the response "Blessed is the revelation of Christ."

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Administrator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
The Byzantine Forum provides message boards for discussions focusing on Eastern Christianity (though discussions of other topics are welcome). The views expressed herein are those of the participants and may or may not reflect the teachings of the Byzantine Catholic or any other Church. The Byzantine Forum and the www.byzcath.org site exist to help build up the Church but are unofficial, have no connection with any Church entity, and should not be looked to as a source for official information for any Church. All posts become property of byzcath.org. Contents copyright - 1996-2024 (Forum 1998-2023). All rights reserved.