The Byzantine Forum
Newest Members
Galumph, Leon_C, Rocco, Hvizsgyak, P.W.
5,984 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 456 guests, and 39 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Photos
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
by orthodoxsinner2, September 30
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
by Veronica.H, April 24
Byzantine Catholic Outreach of Iowa
Exterior of Holy Angels Byzantine Catholic Parish
Church of St Cyril of Turau & All Patron Saints of Belarus
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics35,389
Posts416,722
Members5,984
Most Online3,380
Dec 29th, 2019
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
R
OP Offline
R
Dear Members of the Byzantine Forum,

I am looking for the Slavonic of this Prayer After Confession of St. John Damascene found in the Byzantine Daily Worship's "Office of Penance". Could someone provide me with the Slavonic prayer or know from what source Archbishop Raya translated this prayer into English?

"O my God and Lord Jesus Christ, lead me in your way that I may walk in your truth; gladden my heart that I may fear your holy name. O Lord so mighty in mercy, so gracious in your might; assist and comfort me; save me, for I put my trust in your holy name. In your wrath, do not let me perish, O Lord and Lover of us all, but show me your great mercy and compassion. O Physician and Healer of my soul, O merciful Savior, blot out all my transgressions, for in the depth of my heart I am sorry for having offended you. Grant me your grace, that I may avoid my earlier and evil ways; give me the strength, O Mighty One, to withstand the temptations before which I am weak; keep me under your protection, and under the shadow of your wings, so that I may serve you faithfully, praise You, and glorify your name all the days of my life."

With my thanks,
Reader Oleh

I've not seen this prayer given in the Slavonic tradition to be taken after Confession, and Archbishop Raya likely got it from the Greek Euchologion.

R
OP Offline
R
Hey Diak,

Thanks for the lead.

This begs the next question: Do you have the original Greek text available or can you directly to a Greek euchologion on-line to the proper spot where this prayer occurs?

I do know that some Russian scholars have translated the ambon prayers from Greek into Slavonic. I wish that they would have done the same with other prayers or offices.

Reader Oleh

Reader Oleh,

There are many translations of older services and prayers as well as studies of the development of the Byzantine Rite in Russian. You should look at the work of Michael Zheltov in particular. He is focusing on the Byzantine Rite as governed under the Stoudite Typikon in Rus' (13-15 centuries). Also, Miguel Arranz' doctoral dissertation "How did the Ancient Byzantines Pray" exists in Russian translation-or at least the appendix does. That appendix has the prayers of the Asmatic Office all in Russian, along with the known antiphons and their refrains. This can be found here: http://www.miguel-arranz.net/?view=scriptura first download.

In Christ,
Adam

Dear Adam,

Thank you for this reference!

I'll have to recommend the office to my brother as he has asma.

Alex

R
OP Offline
R
Dear Adam,

Thanks very much for mentioning the Russian-language sources. I checked them; this prayer (see above) is not among the translations completed.

If you know where this prayer exists, could you just reproduce it here? My Greek is very rusty.

Again with thanks for all your help, I remain,

Reader Oleh

Читець Олег: I will look for a Greek text I can scan and send to you. As I mentioned before after going through pre-Nikonian and Nikonian Slavonic as well as Mohylian texts I did not find a Slavonic version.
o. д. Randolph

Moderated by  theophan 

Link Copied to Clipboard
The Byzantine Forum provides message boards for discussions focusing on Eastern Christianity (though discussions of other topics are welcome). The views expressed herein are those of the participants and may or may not reflect the teachings of the Byzantine Catholic or any other Church. The Byzantine Forum and the www.byzcath.org site exist to help build up the Church but are unofficial, have no connection with any Church entity, and should not be looked to as a source for official information for any Church. All posts become property of byzcath.org. Contents copyright - 1996-2024 (Forum 1998-2023). All rights reserved.