The Byzantine Forum
Newest Members
Rocco, Hvizsgyak, P.W., Ramon, PeaceBeToAll
5,982 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
1 members (1 invisible), 167 guests, and 48 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Photos
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
by orthodoxsinner2, September 30
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
by Veronica.H, April 24
Byzantine Catholic Outreach of Iowa
Exterior of Holy Angels Byzantine Catholic Parish
Church of St Cyril of Turau & All Patron Saints of Belarus
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics35,388
Posts416,719
Members5,982
Most Online3,380
Dec 29th, 2019
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
J
OP Offline
J
Glory to Jesus Christ!
Please see this link for a talk from Fr. David Petras, given at the Byzantine (Ruthenian) Catholic Eparchy of Parma:

It is quite a beautiful talk and worthy of reflection, given by one who has served as a priest for over 40 years now. He speaks so well to his own vocation and to his vision for why we need to cherish our heritage as Byzantine Catholics.

In XC,
JAD

E
E
That's a wonderful presentation and it really is the heart of what it means to be Byzantine.

Fr. Petras taught at the Seminary in Pittsburgh and I had the privilege of sitting in his classes. He made the mundane interesting and the interesting come alive. Not to mention having a great sense of humor! We will miss you, Father!

Is he not also the one primarily responsible for the addition of the gender neutral language (and other unpopular reforms) in the revised Divine Liturgy of the Ruthenian Catholic Church?

S
S
[Biting tongue]

I have an idea, let's just watch Fr. David's moving testimonial and leave it at that. This is not a post about the RDL.

Last edited by Nelson Chase; 10/10/13 11:41 PM.
Originally Posted by Nelson Chase
I have an idea, let's just watch Fr. David's moving testimonial and leave it at that. This is not a post about the RDL.

I did watch the video....and I think there is a connection to his testimonial and the RDL.

He spends a few minutes talking about his witness to the second Vatican Council. He talks about the importance of how the council is "worked out."

And I think that the RDL was his contribution to help implement what he sees as 'working out" this council.

Did you not hear his testimonial about the importance of the re-establishment of ALL the Mysteries of Initiation to infants? How did you miss it?

Originally Posted by Paul B
Did you not hear his testimonial about the importance of the re-establishment of ALL the Mysteries of Initiation to infants?

Of course I did.

May I ask.....when did the Ruthenian Catholic Church begin to allow infants to receive Holy Communion?

In the 1990's; the same time frame that the Divine Liturgy was being modified for re- interpretation.

Last edited by Paul B; 10/11/13 01:25 PM.
I was there to listen to his presentation live, and I think he did bring up some interesting points along the way. To have him quote that "Global Warming is a sin" is something rather new on me... I mean, it could be, but...not sure if it was really.

J
J
8IronBob,
I think you are referring to Fr. John Petro's presentation, not Fr. David Petras'

Regardless.....there is no global warming. confused

B
B
There has been global warming, global cooling, and everything in between. The sea level has risen by hundreds of feet, dropped by hundreds of feet, and stages in between. I wouldn't lose any sleep over it, since these are natural cycles beyond our control.

J
J
If you want to talk about global warming of not from a Eastern Christian perspective start another thread.

S
S
I think the Church is only permitted to be descriptive, not prescriptive, when it comes to matters of public policy; that is, it may set up ideals and enunciate principles (such as, Christians must be good stewards of the earth), but it may not endorse specific policies insofar as these matters are left to the prudential judgment of those who have the proper qualifications and expertise--something which, I assure you, neither Father David nor Patriarch Bartholomew possess in this area (that same caveat extends to most politicians, journalists, celebrities, and media commentators, too).

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
The Byzantine Forum provides message boards for discussions focusing on Eastern Christianity (though discussions of other topics are welcome). The views expressed herein are those of the participants and may or may not reflect the teachings of the Byzantine Catholic or any other Church. The Byzantine Forum and the www.byzcath.org site exist to help build up the Church but are unofficial, have no connection with any Church entity, and should not be looked to as a source for official information for any Church. All posts become property of byzcath.org. Contents copyright - 1996-2024 (Forum 1998-2023). All rights reserved.