The Byzantine Forum
Newest Members
Annapolis Melkites, Daniel Hoseiny, PaulV, ungvar1900, Donna Zoll
5,993 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 383 guests, and 41 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Photos
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
by orthodoxsinner2, September 30
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
by Veronica.H, April 24
Byzantine Catholic Outreach of Iowa
Exterior of Holy Angels Byzantine Catholic Parish
Church of St Cyril of Turau & All Patron Saints of Belarus
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics35,393
Posts416,749
Members5,993
Most Online3,380
Dec 29th, 2019
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#401929 12/05/13 01:50 PM
B
OP Offline
B
Apparently not everywhere - except on RT Russian TV! Watched repeated news on RT about the abduction of the 12 nuns by the Islamists as the featured first news item. Not so on EWTN, there news program talked about Obamacare and its issues then went on to other issues with nothing on Syria. What's with this EWTN, they repeat the same shows over and over, their news is not actual, its really not worth watching!
[/url]
[url=http://rt.com/news/syria-islamists-kidnap-nuns-66/]
[rt.com]

Last edited by bergschlawiner; 12/05/13 01:52 PM.
G
Online Content
G
I believe your criticism is actually premature.

First of all, EWTN does have 3 articles about it posted on their Newslink: http://www.ewtn.com/vnews/headlines.asp

Second, to which EWTN news program are referring?
The main news program of EWTN is The World Over and that airs on Thursdays. It's only been yesterday that other news agencies have begun to report it.

I would recommend that you watch the The World Over tonight. If it goes unreported, then bring it to their attention: viewer@ewtn.com

F
F
Originally Posted by griego catolico
I believe your criticism is actually premature.

First of all, EWTN does have 3 articles about it posted on their Newslink: http://www.ewtn.com/vnews/headlines.asp

Second, to which EWTN news program are referring?
The main news program of EWTN is The World Over and that airs on Thursdays. It's only been yesterday that other news agencies have begun to report it.

I would recommend that you watch the The World Over tonight. If it goes unreported, then bring it to their attention: viewer@ewtn.com

It is good that EWTN has reported on the kidnapping of the nuns from St. Thekla's monastery. I have seen nothing in the secular American media about the crimes of the rebels against Syrian Christians. They kidnapped the Greek Orthodox Metropolitan and Syriac Orthodox Bishop of Aleppo last spring. In August, the tried to assassinate the Greek Orthodox Patriarch of Antioch by firing on St. Mary's Cathedral in Damascus while the clergy were distributing food to the needy. They destroyed both Churches in Malooula, one Greek Orthodox and one Catholic, probably Melkite. What is a scandal is that the Obama administration has provided support for the rebels against the Asssad regime. The rebels are highly infiltrated by radical Islamists whose stated goal is to establish an Islamic state in Syria ruled by Sharia law.

Fr. John W. Morris

Originally Posted by Fr. John Morris
It is good that EWTN has reported on the kidnapping of the nuns from St. Thekla's monastery. I have seen nothing in the secular American media about the crimes of the rebels against Syrian Christians.

Fr. John W. Morris

Father, Bless!

While I first learned of this latest atrocity through an email from an Antiochian Orthodox Priest, when I checked the Antiochian Archdiocese [antiochian.org] web site I discovered that their story on the abduction included a link to an Associated Press story.

The culpability rests with the editors who select the stories.

F
F
Originally Posted by Thomas the Seeker
It is good that EWTN has reported on the kidnapping of the nuns from St. Thekla's monastery. I have seen nothing in the secular American media about the crimes of the rebels against Syrian Christians.

Fr. John W. Morris

Father, Bless!

While I first learned of this latest atrocity through an email from an Antiochian Orthodox Priest, when I checked the Antiochian Archdiocese [antiochian.org] web site I discovered that their story on the abduction included a link to an Associated Press story.

The culpability rests with the editors who select the stories.

That may be, but the fact remains that whoever makes the decision on what is published or put on the air have largely ignored the sad fate of the Syrian Christians. I certainly do not see anything that the US government has done on behalf of the Syrian Christians. But, that is typical. The US stood by and did nothing to protect the Christians in Iraq although we actually troops on the ground in Iraq. The Christian community in Iraq is a shadow of its former size. There is something radically wrong when the chief defender of Christians in the Middle East is not our country, but the former Soviet Union.

Fr. John W. Morris

Indeed...and to say nothing of how our government has chosen the wrong side in the Balkans.

Washington officialdom seem to be Islamophiles.

F
F
Here is another article about the kidnapped nuns. http://www.asianews.it/news-en/Maaloula:-Islamist-rebels-abduct-12-nuns-from-the-St-Thecla-Orthodox-monastery-29701.html
I understand that the Greek Orthodox Metropolitan Paul of Aleppo, who is the brother of our Patriarch, John X, and the Syriac Bishop of Aleppo John, who were kidnapped were on a mission to persuade the rebels to free a Maronite priest. Maaloula is one of the few places on earth where they still speak Aramaic the language spoken by Our Lord. It is a scandal that the Obama administration has given aid and support to the rebels who are persecuting Christians in Syria and who have ties to Al-Qaeda the people who gave us 9/11.

Fr. John W. Morris

Bless Father,

The Americans have tended to be on the side of the "bad ones" historically.

When Mexican Catholics rose against their atheist president in the Cristiada war, Americans actually supplied planes to help the president fight them. Ku Klux Klan members gave financial support to the Mexican president as well.

As for the support given Christians by the former Soviet Union - whenever you come across a video or news report on this actually happening, please be so kind as to post it here!

Alex

F
F
Originally Posted by Orthodox Catholic
Bless Father,

When Mexican Catholics rose against their atheist president in the Cristiada war, Americans actually supplied planes to help the president fight them. Ku Klux Klan members gave financial support to the Mexican president as well.

As for the support given Christians by the former Soviet Union - whenever you come across a video or news report on this actually happening, please be so kind as to post it here!

Alex

Look at this
http://hellasfrappe.blogspot.com/20...mp;utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed

http://voiceofrussia.com/news/2013_...f-Orthodox-nuns-kidnapped-in-Syria-7606/

http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/articles/5...dnapped-hostage-swap-rebels-maaloula.htm

Why is the American government not doing something to help these nuns?

Fr. John W. Morris

Hopefully, those special forces will free them!

Alex

E
E
Originally Posted by Orthodox Catholic
Bless Father,

Alex

Look at this
http://hellasfrappe.blogspot.com/20...mp;utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed

http://voiceofrussia.com/news/2013_...f-Orthodox-nuns-kidnapped-in-Syria-7606/

http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/articles/5...dnapped-hostage-swap-rebels-maaloula.htm

Why is the American government not doing something to help these nuns?

Fr. John W. Morris

Father, I am surprised that you even ask that question, given our current president in the White House and the utterly spineless and craven cowards in Congress who can't find the fortitude to slap handcuffs on him for his numerous violations of the Constitution!

And since nuns don't produce oil in any large quantity, as did Iraq, there's really nothing of interest here. Move on. Nothing to see here!

C
C
In the first communique, there is no mention of what the Russians are doing other than administrator in Moscow demanded the release of the nuns and they were planning on dispatching Spetsgruppa or Alpha A which was back in April. In the next communique this same administrator “tweeted” calling on those kidnappers to release the nuns. The last communique was a recap with no mention of Russian action and in fact there is a question as to who actually kidnapped these nuns. Good guys or bad guys? And as that piece was just from the other day, the nuns were doing fine according to their Mother Superior.

I likely have missed something, but what exactly are the Russians doing again besides an administrator making a statement nearly 8 months ago?

F
F
Originally Posted by Chirstopher
In the first communique, there is no mention of what the Russians are doing other than administrator in Moscow demanded the release of the nuns and they were planning on dispatching Spetsgruppa or Alpha A which was back in April. In the next communique this same administrator “tweeted” calling on those kidnappers to release the nuns. The last communique was a recap with no mention of Russian action and in fact there is a question as to who actually kidnapped these nuns. Good guys or bad guys? And as that piece was just from the other day, the nuns were doing fine according to their Mother Superior.

I likely have missed something, but what exactly are the Russians doing again besides an administrator making a statement nearly 8 months ago?

That is more than our government is doing. The nuns were kidnapped by Chechian radicals who are demanding that rebels captured by the pro-Assad faction be released in return for the release of the nuns. As a priest of the Greek Orthodox Church of Antioch, the name of the Eastern Orthodox Church in Syria, I have sources beyond the American media. At least the Russian government is speaking out in defense of the nuns, unlike our government that so far has done nothing but instead has supported the rebels which are highly infiltrated by radical Islamists whose goal is the establishment of a Islamist state in Syria governed by Sharia Law. What has the Obama administration done on behalf of the persecuted Coptic Church in Egypt? Nothing.
Here is a statement by our Patriarch on the nuns. http://www.antiochian.org/patriarch-john-x-speaks-abducted-nuns-maaloula-syria

Here is another article on the demands of the kidnappers.

http://en.alalam.ir/news/1541891

Fr. John W. Morris

Last edited by Fr. John Morris; 12/07/13 03:20 AM.
G
Online Content
G
bergschlawiner,

The abduction of the nuns was reported on The World Over:

(begins at minute 2:45)

C
C
That is more than our government is doing. The nuns were kidnapped by Chechian radicals who are demanding that rebels captured by the pro-Assad faction be released in return for the release of the nuns. As a priest of the Greek Orthodox Church of Antioch, the name of the Eastern Orthodox Church in Syria, I have sources beyond the American media. At least the Russian government is speaking out in defense of the nuns, unlike our government that so far has done nothing but instead has supported the rebels which are highly infiltrated by radical Islamists whose goal is the establishment of a Islamist state in Syria governed by Sharia Law. What has the Obama administration done on behalf of the persecuted Coptic Church in Egypt? Nothing.
Here is a statement by our Patriarch on the nuns. http://www.antiochian.org/patriarch-john-x-speaks-abducted-nuns-maaloula-syria

Here is another article on the demands of the kidnappers.

http://en.alalam.ir/news/1541891

Fr. John W. Morris

Father John Morris:

Your premise is most confusing as you first made the statement that Russians were the only one doing something for the abducted nuns, but then a reading of the communiques has your Patriarch of Antioch asking for action, not words from the world community. Was he talking about Russia, Mongolia, Chili, or Ethiopia? And why did the communication go to a spokesman at the Vatican versus the Orthodox Patriarch of Antioch?

Finally, you ask why hasn’t the US done something for the persecuted Coptic Church of Egypt, but where does it end or begin? Of course, these questions go beyond the scope of this OP. May St. Ambrose be with us today!

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
The Byzantine Forum provides message boards for discussions focusing on Eastern Christianity (though discussions of other topics are welcome). The views expressed herein are those of the participants and may or may not reflect the teachings of the Byzantine Catholic or any other Church. The Byzantine Forum and the www.byzcath.org site exist to help build up the Church but are unofficial, have no connection with any Church entity, and should not be looked to as a source for official information for any Church. All posts become property of byzcath.org. Contents copyright - 1996-2024 (Forum 1998-2023). All rights reserved.