The Byzantine Forum
Newest Members
Galumph, Leon_C, Rocco, Hvizsgyak, P.W.
5,984 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 456 guests, and 39 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Photos
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
by orthodoxsinner2, September 30
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
by Veronica.H, April 24
Byzantine Catholic Outreach of Iowa
Exterior of Holy Angels Byzantine Catholic Parish
Church of St Cyril of Turau & All Patron Saints of Belarus
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics35,389
Posts416,722
Members5,984
Most Online3,380
Dec 29th, 2019
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
John
OP Offline
John

A
A
Prayers for peace in Ukraine! Light of Christ shine upon all!

A
A

D
DMD Offline
D
It needs to be noted that the UOC-MP,the UOC-KP and UGCC clergy and religious have been placing themselves at risk to try to stop what is devolving in Ukraine. Pray for all men and women of good faith and for peace in Ukraine.

A
A

John
OP Offline
John

D
DMD Offline
D
The clanging noises coming from the battle lines reminded me of the movie Braveheart.

Awesome viewing these pictures while playing Animusic's "Cathedral Pictures" (Mussorgsky's "Great Gate of Kiev") on the computer.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/01/24/kiev-protests-priests_n_4660431.html?utm_hp_ref=religion

Absolutely awesome.

Last edited by Thomas the Seeker; 01/26/14 05:06 PM.
C
C
This all reminds me of Serbia.

F
F
Hi everybody,
Does anybody know what the shield clanging means though? I take it as a positive sign, although I suppose it might also be a "rejection" of the blessing.
Any clues?

T
T
Originally Posted by Filipe YTOL
Hi everybody,
Does anybody know what the shield clanging means though? I take it as a positive sign, although I suppose it might also be a "rejection" of the blessing.
Any clues?

Shield 'clanging' is a very old custom which dates back as far as the time of the Roman Empire and Vikings (not sure how far back this last one but I recall reading something about a Viking raid where the sound of shields clanging was part of the 'account') - and I do not know if it pre-dates this as written accounts describing this in their details are extremely rare to begin and non-existant before then (I do no know of any)... - it was used in many instances and for several reasons... in response to speeches from Roman generals and Emperors when leading their armies into battle or addressing the 'populace' - in response to their battle cries before heading into battle in support and approval by the troops... It was also used in Roman arenas before events with chariots, etc. and later used in Medieval times before jousting matches and when the side they supported 'scored' a 'coup' ...sort of like a 'pep rally' response. It was also used to 'put fire' and animation to the event also as an 'announcement' of the forthcoming to alert the people 'the event was about to begin' often with the sound of trumpet-like instruments or 'cor' which has even carried a sort of 'influence' to this day in sports events. Some think it was used a long time ago to imitate the sound of thunder to scare off their enemies or invoke the 'God of Thunder.' Their fierce sound was enough to make some 'run for the bushes' or take cover at the sound of them coming... - it also could make the troops seem 'larger' or more 'imposing' to the enemy simply as a tactic which simply served to try to scare them off as battle fronts pushed along or marches as they claimed territory. Perhaps it gave them a sense of 'invincibility' too I would think to some degree but nothing is said about that factor in what I have read. This was also used in battles of old Britain as their troops lined up 'in formation' much like the Romans used to do and oft was used again to scare off the enemy in a 'show of force' and 'numbers' by the sound of clanging their swords and spears against their shields. It could also be used as a 'signal' for 'volleys' of troops to come in ...in 'waves' one after the other ...a sound which could be heard no doubt quite easily during a battle as reinforcements came from behind or from the sides. It can also be used as an army tactic to signal for the troops to 'tighten their ranks' (for the lines to come closer together to form a strong and powerful 'front') before battle as they prepare for an assault (and this is a worrisome one if this was the case here as I do not know what followed after these images and if the Ukrainian troops attacked after this video was taken after this moment with the priests here.)

So here, when you watch the video, it is difficult to assess if they are 'approving' the priests perhaps for their gesture and bravado in hearing their words (although I do not know what the priests are saying ...perhaps prayers. Someone who speaks Ukrainian could tell us what they are saying... maybe it is prayers or invoking Our Lord to stop the conflict here. . . It would be nice if someone told us what the priests say in this short clip. . .) - OR - if they are preparing to attack -- we do not know this unless we saw what followed. . . - and, I do think they did launch an attack at one point against the people in the streets here but I do not know if it was this particular instance or not... - it would have been good to see more to know the answer in terms of what ensued to explain the use of the 'clanging' here... - it could have been a 'signal' to prepare to tighten ranks to move forward and even attack and this would have had to come on the orders of a commanding officer no doubt against their own people. . .

Best,

Christine

Link Copied to Clipboard
The Byzantine Forum provides message boards for discussions focusing on Eastern Christianity (though discussions of other topics are welcome). The views expressed herein are those of the participants and may or may not reflect the teachings of the Byzantine Catholic or any other Church. The Byzantine Forum and the www.byzcath.org site exist to help build up the Church but are unofficial, have no connection with any Church entity, and should not be looked to as a source for official information for any Church. All posts become property of byzcath.org. Contents copyright - 1996-2024 (Forum 1998-2023). All rights reserved.