The Byzantine Forum
Newest Members
Galumph, Leon_C, Rocco, Hvizsgyak, P.W.
5,984 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
1 members (1 invisible), 246 guests, and 50 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Photos
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
by orthodoxsinner2, September 30
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
by Veronica.H, April 24
Byzantine Catholic Outreach of Iowa
Exterior of Holy Angels Byzantine Catholic Parish
Church of St Cyril of Turau & All Patron Saints of Belarus
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics35,389
Posts416,722
Members5,984
Most Online3,380
Dec 29th, 2019
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
OP Offline

This is a 2009 documentary entitled "The Outpost" and was shown at the Orthodox Film Festival "Meeting".
The film was shot during a year at Holy Ascension Monastery on the border with Romania. Written and directed by Michael Shadrin, it gives a different perspective on the value of human life and showed an example of how real life is embodied in the Great Commandment "Do unto others as ye would have them do unto you."
The main characters of the film are the monks of the Holy Ascension Monastery, Otyets Mikhail, who became a father for twenty-nine foster children (in addition to his own two sons and a daughter), brothers of the monastery and convent, who care for and feed children from the Monastery run orphanage (150 orphans), many of whom are seriously ill and, or, terminally ill.

The film is in Russian, but any one familiar with Orthodoxy will have no problems following along.

Enjoy!

Alexandr

Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Alexandr,

It was beautiful, profoundly so. I don't know what else to say - I was in absolute awe of the love, devotion, and caring that was so evident throughout the entire length of it.

Many years,

Neil

"One day all our ethnic traits ... will have disappeared. Time itself is seeing to this. And so we can not think of our communities as ethnic parishes, ... unless we wish to assure the death of our community."
O
O
What an incredible video .

This is Christian love in action

Last edited by Our Lady's slave; 11/02/11 08:05 AM.
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
To follow up ... I have to say, very honestly, that I cannot remember the last time I sat through an entire hour-long video, never once using the mouse to scroll/jump ahead. I could not, absolutely could not, interrupt it. All of the interactions, whether with 'normal' children (those without disabilities) or with those who were profoundly affected, were so obviously, touchingly, and honestly motivated by genuine caring and love.

Many, many years ago, as a high school and college student, I worked with severely disabled children and with adults who would never function beyond the level of children. I also had considerable opportunities to spend time at state schools, asylums, and hospitals - institutions where many with such disabilities were, frankly, 'warehoused' - a not uncommon 'solution' in that era.

The video brought me back to those days - not because it portrayed anything of the sort, but because it exhibited, so vividly, the very antithesis of such 'benign neglect'. I saw the same children and adults that I'd known - not as their lives were then, but as they could have been - laughing, joyful in innocence, and lovingly cared for.

Many years,

Neil

"One day all our ethnic traits ... will have disappeared. Time itself is seeing to this. And so we can not think of our communities as ethnic parishes, ... unless we wish to assure the death of our community."
S
S
My daughter had the privilege of working for a summer at an orphanage run by an Orthodox monastery in Romania. This film reminds me in many ways of the pictures and videos she made there. I have sent the link to her, and I may suggest that she take a shot at writing subtitles for the film, which I think could have a very wide audience here.

C
C
This video exhibits the Christian love that has been showered upon these beautiful children. The love that the children exhibit in return is also astoundingly beautiful. This video just screams love and devotion going both directions; my bride sat through the video transfixed and amazed. As was I. It is truly magnificent and full of joy. Despite their misfortune to be orphans, their circumstance at the orphanage could not be much better. The monks and nuns are so fortunate to live among those little angels, they are a true gift from God.

OP Offline
Anyone wishing to help support this God pleasing work can directly contribute to the orphanage here:

http://www.fundforassistance.org/ukraine.html

Please earmark any contributions "Project Ukraine: Orphanage"

100% of all funds go directly to the orphanage. There are no administrative costs.

The good Fathers and Nuns are in need of medications, medical supplies, clothing and especially your prayers.

Please remember these children as we prepare to enter the Nativity Fast.

Alexandr

Last edited by Slavipodvizhnik; 11/04/11 05:37 AM.
OP Offline
And here is a little update on "Stepa", the little boy with no arms:

Interfax: 03 October 2011, 12:14
Patriarch Kirill gets acquainted with Ukrainian boy who lacks both arms but swam 50 meter distance

Chernovtsy, October 3, Interfax - Patriarch Kirill of Moscow and All Russia visited an orphanage of the Ascension Bancheny Monastery in the village of Molnitsa of the Ukrainian Cherovtsy Region, where 256 children live including those who suffer from AIDS.

The children greeted the Primate in national Ukrainian and Moldavian costumes with flowers and special loafs. He kissed and embraced the girl who welcomed him.

The orphans guided the Patriarch around the monastery taking him by the hands.

"It feels so nice walking with you. No one has ever welcomed me like this. It's the first time I'm guided by the hand. You're so hospitable," the Patriarch said as he was deeply touched.

He visited the building where a swimming pool is located. The children were swimming a race and disabled boy Stepan who lacks both arms swam 50 meters. Then he came up to the Patriarch.

"I'm glad to meet you, you are so good in swimming. May God grant you strength, courage, patience to live a worthy life and with God you will always live worthily. You've already become a great sportsman," the Primate said.

Stepan confessed: "We are saved through your prayers, we're nothing without you, with you we're coming closer to God, you're a very good person for us, a helper."

The children gave the Primate an icon of the Holy Virgin, which they embroidered with beads, and he gave a chocolate bar to each of them.

Father Superior of the monastery and head of the orphanage Archimandrite Longin (Zhar) adopted first children in early 1990. Since then he has taken to his orphanage seriously ill children and those rejected by their parents and looks after them. The priest was honored with the title of Hero of Ukraine in 2008.

OP Offline
I have been informed, that, thanks in part to this film, an anonymous donor from New Jersey just made a $50,000.00 donation to the orphanage. Glory to God, in all things.

Alexandr

OP Offline
Now the full film with English subtitles:

The story of the boy who is blind, deaf, cerebral posely, and other disorders broke my heart. It is about 10 minutes into the movie. Lord have mercy!

The story of that boy has been stuck in my head. Can we all say a prayer online for him?

Lord bless your servant and have mercy on him!

John
John
Lord, have mercy!

Moderated by  Irish Melkite, theophan 

Link Copied to Clipboard
The Byzantine Forum provides message boards for discussions focusing on Eastern Christianity (though discussions of other topics are welcome). The views expressed herein are those of the participants and may or may not reflect the teachings of the Byzantine Catholic or any other Church. The Byzantine Forum and the www.byzcath.org site exist to help build up the Church but are unofficial, have no connection with any Church entity, and should not be looked to as a source for official information for any Church. All posts become property of byzcath.org. Contents copyright - 1996-2024 (Forum 1998-2023). All rights reserved.