The Byzantine Forum
Newest Members
Annapolis Melkites, Daniel Hoseiny, PaulV, ungvar1900, Donna Zoll
5,993 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 315 guests, and 63 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Photos
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
by orthodoxsinner2, September 30
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
by Veronica.H, April 24
Byzantine Catholic Outreach of Iowa
Exterior of Holy Angels Byzantine Catholic Parish
Church of St Cyril of Turau & All Patron Saints of Belarus
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics35,393
Posts416,749
Members5,993
Most Online3,380
Dec 29th, 2019
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
A
OP Offline
A
like the title says i'm struggling to see what the similarities and differences, especially when it comes to theology, with byzantine and catholic and orthodox.
Can someone give me a basic comparison summary.

F
F
That is very difficult because different Eastern Catholics are more Latinized than others. The Melkies are closer to Eastern Orthodoxy than some other Byzantine Rite Catholics. The major issue that divides is is obviously the Pope. On paper at least, all Eastern Catholics accept full papal authority and the 1st Vatican Council. In practice, some Eastern Catholics are more loyal to Rome than others.

Fr. John W. Morris

M
M
What I don't understand is that the Vatican has given clear mandates for Eastern Catholics to de-latinize the liturgy. And how Ruthenians insist on revising everything. No one likes it. Many have left. But they continue to do it anyway.

My priest has a joke. He says: "There are still people left. We must keep revising until 'us all' are gone."

E
Za myr z'wysot ...
Za myr z'wysot ...
E
Originally Posted by Fr. John Morris
That is very difficult because different Eastern Catholics are more Latinized than others.
It's also somtimes unclear whether or not a particular practice is an authentic tradition or a "latinization." We've had some discussions on this forum in which certain practices (unfortunately, I don't remember what they were--they weren't familiar to me) were thought to have been borrowed from the Latin Church and it turned out that they were not!

However, I do remember that it was a relatively small thing. By far, the most significant latinization was when EC seminarians were taught a complete curriculum of RC theology and little or nothing of EO theology. Having had that kind of formation, EC priests will be much more likely to view their own traditions and practices from a Western mindset.

To my knowledge, *none* of the ECCs are doing this anymore, but there are still a number of priests who have had this kind of formation.

Peace,
Deacon Richard

Moderated by  theophan 

Link Copied to Clipboard
The Byzantine Forum provides message boards for discussions focusing on Eastern Christianity (though discussions of other topics are welcome). The views expressed herein are those of the participants and may or may not reflect the teachings of the Byzantine Catholic or any other Church. The Byzantine Forum and the www.byzcath.org site exist to help build up the Church but are unofficial, have no connection with any Church entity, and should not be looked to as a source for official information for any Church. All posts become property of byzcath.org. Contents copyright - 1996-2024 (Forum 1998-2023). All rights reserved.