The Byzantine Forum
Newest Members
Galumph, Leon_C, Rocco, Hvizsgyak, P.W.
5,984 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
1 members (1 invisible), 246 guests, and 50 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Photos
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
by orthodoxsinner2, September 30
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
by Veronica.H, April 24
Byzantine Catholic Outreach of Iowa
Exterior of Holy Angels Byzantine Catholic Parish
Church of St Cyril of Turau & All Patron Saints of Belarus
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics35,389
Posts416,722
Members5,984
Most Online3,380
Dec 29th, 2019
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
S
S
Peter J:

By out of left-field what do you mean?

Your unworthy brother in Christ;
Sean Forristal

P.S. Thank you for your kindness. I will not be bullied by my fellow Christians or Catholics into silence.

R
R
Peter J.

You are welcome. It was, of course from the snake pit of fundamentalist Catholic bloggers that I even got the idea. Embittered sedevacantists, unquestioning followers of the Pope's every comment as "gospel", this one's a heretic, this one's a schismatic--such disarray and so little charity or humility. There is even a guy who says the last "real" pope was in 1134AD! This forum is so refreshing by comparison.

The wisdom of the "economy" of St. Basil is badly needed.

R
R
Sean Forristal:

Not to be a wise guy, but every age thinks it is living the end times. Remember what Jesus said in Mathew 24 about the signs of the end--we're not there yet.

R
R
To Sean,

Peter J and All:

"In my view, I believe much of what is going on in Christ's Church and in society is of demonic origin, for the devil wishes to destroy them both."

Certainly agree with that. Diabolical disorientation.

P
P
\\There is even a guy who says the last "real" pope was in 1134AD!\\

I think I've heard of him. There's one who says that every pope after Pius IX was an anti-pope, including Pius X and XII.

As a writer for NCReg said, this way lies not only apostasy, but delusion.

Originally Posted by Pasisozi
\\There is even a guy who says the last "real" pope was in 1134AD!\\

I think I've heard of him.

SSPI?

P
P
1131 was AFTER St. Pius I.

R
R
It was 11-something. I left the website without wanting to read much more. It is stjohnthebaptist, whatever. It reads like the minutes of the Spanish Inquisition.

But the guy takes the trouble then to condemn as heretics everyone from more modern times. Not consistent. If all are heretics since the 12th Century, why bother about them?

A layman can get caught up in this legalism and name calling because they don't understand the subtleties, for instance, a Mass said by a publicly self sworn sedevacantist can be valid, but is not licit. Where do you go from there?

The Church has to be a visible community of believers. These guys obsessed with legalism end up denying or making impossible the 4 marks of the Church: one, holy, catholic, apostolic. They think that they are the only true Christians left in the world, not even aware of their great faults like lack of humility and charity and faith too, for that matter, and that they are leading more "simple" souls into confusion. Thence leads the slippery slope of private judgement.

Something I read once I never forgot that made a big difference in my own faith. It was to the effect that one must submit one's intellect to the authentic teachings. Once that is done, true faith usually follows. Not the other way around. Faith is above reason, not in opposition to it. This doesn't mean that we must not still be "wise as serpents," especially these days.

Maybe just for fun I'll look up what happened after Pius I. But not on THAT website! Very depressing.

Last edited by Roman refugee; 03/16/14 10:37 PM.
D
DMD Offline
D
Originally Posted by Roman refugee
It was 11-something. I left the website without wanting to read much more. It is stjohnthebaptist, whatever. It reads like the minutes of the Spanish Inquisition.

But the guy takes the trouble then to condemn as heretics everyone from more modern times. Not consistent. If all are heretics since the 12th Century, why bother about them?

A layman can get caught up in this legalism and name calling because they don't understand the subtleties, for instance, a Mass said by a publicly self sworn sedevacantist can be valid, but is not licit. Where do you go from there?

The Church has to be a visible community of believers. These guys obsessed with legalism end up denying or making impossible the 4 marks of the Church: one, holy, catholic, apostolic. They think that they are the only true Christians left in the world, not even aware of their great faults like lack of humility and charity and faith too, for that matter, and that they are leading more "simple" souls into confusion. Thence leads the slippery slope of private judgement.

Something I read once I never forgot that made a big difference in my own faith. It was to the effect that one must submit one's intellect to the authentic teachings. Once that is done, true faith usually follows. Not the other way around. Faith is above reason, not in opposition to it. This doesn't mean that we must not still be "wise as serpents," especially these days.

Maybe just for fun I'll look up what happened after Pius I. But not on THAT website! Very depressing.

Interesting and perceptive thoughts on the day Eastern Christians, Catholic and Orthodox, commemorate St. Gregory Palamas.

F
F
Although I like and respect Fr. John Whiteford, I must disagree with him. I may be sheltered as an Antiochian, but I know of no one in authority in the Eastern Orthodox Church who advocates approval of same sex marriage or of homosexuality. Certainly our Antiochian Bishops and my brother Antiochian Orthodox Priests are firm on this issue.

Archpriest John W. Morris

T
T
Originally Posted by Fr. John Morris
Although I like and respect Fr. John Whiteford, I must disagree with him. I may be sheltered as an Antiochian, but I know of no one in authority in the Eastern Orthodox Church who advocates approval of same sex marriage or of homosexuality. Certainly our Antiochian Bishops and my brother Antiochian Orthodox Priests are firm on this issue.

Archpriest John W. Morris

Didn't an Orthodox cleric in liberal Finland favor it? Also, there's retired OCA Archbishop Lazar (Puhalo). You're right that it's a fringe movement, if it can be called a movement, in the Orthodox Church: ethnic churches that run themselves through tradition so they're not interested in homosexualism.

M
M
I like brother DMD's Comment#2 in this thread.

But I actually like the article, if not for its misrepresentations of Holy Orthodoxy.

M
M
Originally Posted by Roman refugee
However, it would only be a continuation of the weakening of papal authority perpetrated by John Paul II and nothing new. And, it probably wouldn't fly, given even the weakened Dogmatic Constitution on the Church given at Vatican II. Were I a conspiracy theorist, I might smell an agenda here to destroy the papacy and install goddess democracy.
I disagree with this assessment of Vatican 2's teaching on Collegiality. Collegiality is the patristic and biblical way. It is not about the Pope alone, no matter how good of a shepherd he might be.

I think the author of the article is thinking of what I've often called the "Low Petrine view" in his assessment of Orthodoxy, wherein the head bishop has no real authority outside of his own diocese. I think he does not consider that there is also the "High Petrine" view within Orthodoxy, which has a greater respect for the authority of the head bishop, and this is what collegiality is about. The High Petrine praxis can be observed particularly in the Oriental Orthodox Churches and the Russian Orthodox Church. It is not about depriving the head bishop of his proper authority, but about placing him in the proper context of the divinely-instituted College. Just as the head bishop can act as a bulwark for the possible excesses of other bishops, so can his brother bishops act as a bulwark for the possible excesses of the head bishop.

Also, could you link to the statement of HH's statement about giving episcopal conferences more "doctrinal authority?" I suspect you might be misinterpreting or exaggerating the relevance of it. Not even in Holy Orthodoxy is any Church considered to be completely independent on matters of doctrine.

Blessings

P
P
\\Didn't an Orthodox cleric in liberal Finland favor it? Also, there's retired OCA Archbishop Lazar (Puhalo). You're right that it's a fringe movement, if it can be called a movement, in the Orthodox Church: ethnic churches that run themselves through tradition so they're not interested in homosexualism.\\

When did Abp. Lazar say such a thing?

A
A
Originally Posted by Pasisozi
\\Didn't an Orthodox cleric in liberal Finland favor it? Also, there's retired OCA Archbishop Lazar (Puhalo). You're right that it's a fringe movement, if it can be called a movement, in the Orthodox Church: ethnic churches that run themselves through tradition so they're not interested in homosexualism.\\

When did Abp. Lazar say such a thing?
Doesn't he have a youtube channel?

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Irish Melkite 

Link Copied to Clipboard
The Byzantine Forum provides message boards for discussions focusing on Eastern Christianity (though discussions of other topics are welcome). The views expressed herein are those of the participants and may or may not reflect the teachings of the Byzantine Catholic or any other Church. The Byzantine Forum and the www.byzcath.org site exist to help build up the Church but are unofficial, have no connection with any Church entity, and should not be looked to as a source for official information for any Church. All posts become property of byzcath.org. Contents copyright - 1996-2024 (Forum 1998-2023). All rights reserved.