The Byzantine Forum
Newest Members
MarianLatino, Bosconian_Jin, MissionIn, Pater Patrick, EasternChristian
5,999 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 275 guests, and 63 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Photos
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
by orthodoxsinner2, September 30
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
by Veronica.H, April 24
Byzantine Catholic Outreach of Iowa
Exterior of Holy Angels Byzantine Catholic Parish
Church of St Cyril of Turau & All Patron Saints of Belarus
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics35,398
Posts416,768
Members5,999
Most Online3,380
Dec 29th, 2019
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
OP Offline
Eternal memory!

My cromulent posts embiggen this forum.
John
John
Vičjaja jemu pamjat!

From the Archdiocesan Website:

The Antiochian Orthodox Christian Archdiocese of North America, with great sadness, announces the passing unto life eternal of His Eminence the Most Reverend Metropolitan Philip, Archbishop of New York and Metropolitan of All North America. May his memory be eternal! Details are forthcoming.

Yaa Rabb urHam.
Yaa Rabb urHam.
Yaa Rabb urHam.

Global Moderator
Global Moderator
May the memory of the High Priest Philip be eternal!

"One day all our ethnic traits ... will have disappeared. Time itself is seeing to this. And so we can not think of our communities as ethnic parishes, ... unless we wish to assure the death of our community."
D
DMD Offline
D
The Antiochian Orthodox Christian Archdiocese of North America, with great sadness, announces the passing unto life eternal of His Eminence the Most Reverend Metropolitan Philip (Saliba), Archbishop of New York and Metropolitan of All North America. May his memory be eternal!

Memory Eternal!

E
E
Li-yakon dhikruhu mu'abadan!

E
E
Li-yakon dhikruhu mu'abadan!

Memory Eternal!

Metropolitan Philip was a hierarch of great vision. I was blessed to study in the theological program he helped to institute (the Antiochian House of Studies). When I entered the program I didn't know the Metropolitan from Adam. By the time I finished the program and the three residencies at Antiochian Village, I had developed a great admiration for His Eminence. Without his vision thousands of Evangelical Protestants probably would never have entered the canonical Orthodox Church. I most likely would never have had the opportunity to study Orthodox theology at the graduate level and certainly wouldn't have had the opportunity to earn a Master's Degree. There probably would be no such thing as an Orthodox Study Bible nor would there be the beautiful retreat center Antiochian Village built atop a holy Pennsylvanian mountian. But what I love most about Metropolitan Philip was his insistent vision that AHOS was to an institute of Applied or "Incarnational" Theology. As the great hierarch insisted, Theology is not meant to remain abstract and theoretical. Rather, theology should be incarnated or manifested into the world in order to reach into the hearts of man for whom it was intended. My favorite book by Met. Philip is "And He Leads Them - The Mind and Heart of Met. Philip Saliba" which I highly recommend to anyone wanting to experience a little of the vision and brilliance of this great hierarch.

Eternal Memory to God's faithful highpriest, Met. Philip

-Sub-Dn. Lazarus Der-Ghazarian

Very sad news. frown

May all his sins be forgiven, for 'no man lives and sins not, for only you God are without sin'.

May his memory be eternal in God's kingdom.

B
B
He was some character, a different bishop - appeared once at an event wearing a cowboy hat. One priest told me he always had a cigar in his mouth.

Originally Posted by bergschlawiner
One priest told me he always had a cigar in his mouth.

That was not the case during my first and (sadly) only meeting with him on June 29 - 30 of last year. No cigar, ever.

Our bishop suggested that all churches in the diocese I am in have a trisagion memorial prayer for Metropolitan Phillip after last night's Salutation service to the Theotokos (a service held ever Friday night during Lent according to Greek tradition--reciting each week a part of the Akathist to the Theotokos. On the fifth and final Friday, the entire Akathist is chanted. This is one of the most popular services in the the Greek tradition both here and in Greece. The Greeks have a special love for the 'Panayia', the 'all Holy One'.)

It was nice to pray these prayers for the repose of his soul.

May his memory be eternal.

"We Christians will cling firmly to the Middle East and we will fight to the end so that Christians remain as witnesses to their civilization and their great heritage, to the civilization to which they contributed to building before the coming of Islam. No one can remove us from this region.” Metropolitan Philip 1931-2014 - Antiochian Archdiocese of America

[Linked Image from scontent-b-mia.xx.fbcdn.net]

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
The Byzantine Forum provides message boards for discussions focusing on Eastern Christianity (though discussions of other topics are welcome). The views expressed herein are those of the participants and may or may not reflect the teachings of the Byzantine Catholic or any other Church. The Byzantine Forum and the www.byzcath.org site exist to help build up the Church but are unofficial, have no connection with any Church entity, and should not be looked to as a source for official information for any Church. All posts become property of byzcath.org. Contents copyright - 1996-2024 (Forum 1998-2023). All rights reserved.