The Byzantine Forum
Newest Members
Galumph, Leon_C, Rocco, Hvizsgyak, P.W.
5,984 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
1 members (1 invisible), 246 guests, and 50 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Photos
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
by orthodoxsinner2, September 30
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
by Veronica.H, April 24
Byzantine Catholic Outreach of Iowa
Exterior of Holy Angels Byzantine Catholic Parish
Church of St Cyril of Turau & All Patron Saints of Belarus
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics35,389
Posts416,722
Members5,984
Most Online3,380
Dec 29th, 2019
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
John
OP Offline
John
I received an email at the website from someone who is not Byzantine but is interested in learning about the Byzantine Life.

I have a few standard items I usually recommend, but I'd like to open this question up to our Forum participants to post their recommendations.

[My number one recommendation is to worship like a Byzantine since we are best catechized through prayer.]

Please post your suggestions in this thread.

Thanks!

P
P
True.

The best way is to "Come and see."

E
E
Come and see, to be sure, but you must learn to see with the eyes of the "Byzantine" beholder. The problem is that so very often those who come see with Latin eyes. They see a mirage: what they imagine they had irretrievably lost. Hence, the lame justification of oh-so-comforting 'traditional latinizations' and other pernicious delusions.

As one who first learned about the Eastern Church through books I can appreciate the enquirer's question. (I was also not near any Eastern parishes.) But actually being present for worship is crucial; however, if one can only attend occasionally, I can recommend a few things. First, I think Met. K. Ware's "The Orthodox Way" is as good a book to read as any at a more introductory level; second, some good Eastern music, perhaps by Capella Romana; third, a book on icons (perhaps "The Meaning of Icons" in its glorious presentation).

L
L
The Melkite eparchy still publishes an English prayer book, right?

P
P
Indeed, LatinTrad.

It can be gotten from melkite.org--click on publications.

https://melkite.org/products-page/prayer-books

It's just $35, but bound in leather, with gold edges and 5 ribbons.

There is also a beautiful edition of the Horologion (Book of Hours) for $60 in leather or $50 hardback.

I understand what you're getting at, ON. The Eastern Churches are NOT the last traces of Pre-V2 American Latin piety. A person will be badly disappointed if he comes expecting this.

Take us on our own terms, and you will find us a blessing beyond what you were expecting this side of heaven.

E
E
Amen!

Moderated by  Fr. Deacon Lance 

Link Copied to Clipboard
The Byzantine Forum provides message boards for discussions focusing on Eastern Christianity (though discussions of other topics are welcome). The views expressed herein are those of the participants and may or may not reflect the teachings of the Byzantine Catholic or any other Church. The Byzantine Forum and the www.byzcath.org site exist to help build up the Church but are unofficial, have no connection with any Church entity, and should not be looked to as a source for official information for any Church. All posts become property of byzcath.org. Contents copyright - 1996-2024 (Forum 1998-2023). All rights reserved.