The Byzantine Forum
Newest Members
Annapolis Melkites, Daniel Hoseiny, PaulV, ungvar1900, Donna Zoll
5,993 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
2 members (Filipe YTOL, 1 invisible), 388 guests, and 51 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Photos
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
by orthodoxsinner2, September 30
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
by Veronica.H, April 24
Byzantine Catholic Outreach of Iowa
Exterior of Holy Angels Byzantine Catholic Parish
Church of St Cyril of Turau & All Patron Saints of Belarus
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics35,394
Posts416,750
Members5,993
Most Online3,380
Dec 29th, 2019
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
#405442 05/04/14 05:05 PM
L
OP Offline
L
Is it true Pope Francis Has lifted the ban on married priests in the US for Eastern Catholics?????

That is my understanding.

My cromulent posts embiggen this forum.
T
T
At present, it's my understanding that only the Byzantine and now Maronite Churches in the U.S. are allowed to ordain married men after seeking permission in each case from Rome to do so.

I'm not sure why the other eastern Churches are not in the mix yet, but I'm sure that day will come, as will the day when no permission is needed from Rome of any kind. That was the original aim several years ago when the ban on ordaining married men was lifted (for the Byzantine Church to be able to do so without restriction), but apparently too many western "powers that be" made too much of a stink over it. so it sounds like somebody in Rome sort of rolled their eyes and said, "Ok, if it makes you feel better, they have to get permission every time first" while pulling out a rubber stamp, if you catch my drift.

Once the western Church gets more acclimated to eastern realities, I'm confident the light of the East will be allowed to shine without medium.

I have been told by a reliable authority that at the last session of Eastern Catholic hierarchs in Rome, the Holy Father informed the hierarchs that they could ordain married men as they saw fit.

T
T
That would be great if it's true. Given how frequently Francis is misquoted these days, occasionally by his own fault, I can't help but wonder...

Are you still in touch with this reliable authority, Fr. Deacon? I'm sure Francis probably did say something to this effect. My only question would be was it official, or said off the cuff, as in "Ya know, as far as I'm concerned..."?

Yes. I think it was official in that he told the hierarchs. I don't think there will be motu proprio as another mentioned, nor do I think there will be any fanfare or headline announcement.

T
T
Sorry, not to "nitpick", but my doubt is not whether what he said was said in front of the hierarchs or not. My question is whether he said, in an official capacity, "You are now allowed to ordained married men at will", or whether his comments were more in passing than that.

I can fathom the group talking over various issues and bringing this topic up at some point and having Francis say casually, "You know, you guys should really be able to do that at will...", strictly as a matter of opinion, which would not be binding. Know what I mean?

Whatever the case, whenever it happens - whether it has already or not - I have no doubt it will be done very quietly.

The fun part is going to be once a sufficient number of westerns realize what's happening and start to question mandatory celibacy in the West. Not looking forward to the ugly fight that's going to ensue on that one... frown

Last edited by Talon; 05/05/14 08:07 PM.
This was in response to a request by the hierarchs, so no, not a passing comment. But the Latin Church's issues explain the lack of publicity.

S
S
Does it really matter? The Holy See never had the authority to suppress the married priesthood of the Eastern Churches in the first place. As the ban has long been circumvented or ignored, we can take it as having lapsed in fact if not in law--it has passed into desuetude, and Eastern Catholic bishops (always the main impediment to restoration of the married priesthood), should simply run with this. Rome seldom admits error, even while rectifying the error.

T
T
Originally Posted by StuartK
Does it really matter? The Holy See never had the authority to suppress the married priesthood of the Eastern Churches in the first place.

Not from an Orthodox perspective, perhaps, but from a Catholic one, it did. (Certainly not suggesting it was an acceptable idea, just saying that the authority to do so is there.)

As the ban has long been circumvented or ignored, we can take it as having lapsed in fact if not in law--it has passed into desuetude,

The ban was never, to my knowledge, ignored. We're talking strictly about the eastern Catholic Churches in the United States, not anywhere else.

Rome seldom admits error, even while rectifying the error.

Does the East ever forgive error, even when it's confessed? wink

S
S
Not from an Orthodox perspective, perhaps, but from a Catholic one, it did. (Certainly not suggesting it was an acceptable idea, just saying that the authority to do so is there.)

So, even though it was a blatant violation of the terms of the Union of Brest, it was OK, because the Pope said it was OK, which means, in effect, the Pope's word is not worth the paper on which it's printed. No wonder the Orthodox are cynical.

The ban was never, to my knowledge, ignored.

Of course it was. That's why Ea semper had to be followed by Cum data fuerit. The latter, by the way, banned the "importation" of married priests, and one would have to say that the practice of sending married deacons to Eastern Europe or the Middle East for ordination to the presbyterate completely violated the spirit AND the letter of Cum data fuerit. Only the Ruthenians rolled over and played dead, and then because the two schisms had turned having a celibate clergy into a matter of ecclesial identity ("We were obedient--none of our priests are married").

Does the East ever forgive error, even when it's confessed?

As Father Robert Taft wrote, "Anamnesis, not amnesia".

T
T
Originally Posted by StuartK
So, even though it was a blatant violation of the terms of the Union of Brest, it was OK, because the Pope said it was OK

Expound for me? Do you happen to have a link I can visit where it lays this agreement out in plain language?

Of course, I can Google "Union of Brest" on my own, but if the relevant documentation is lengthy, it would be very helpful to have you point me directly to the section in question.

As Father Robert Taft wrote, "Anamnesis, not amnesia".

Really? Father Taft advocates for the spirit of antichrist? (cf. Matt. 18:21-35) Or am I misunderstanding the application of his words?

S
S
As others will tell you, the terms of the Union included a statement that the institution of married priesthood would not be subject to interference or chance--and the entire Treaty of Union says if the Church of Rome violates the terms, the signatories (and by extension, their successors) can consider the Union dissolved.

As to Father Taft, I suggest you read his essay of that title. And as for you, get the hell off your high horse.

T
T
Pardon?

As for horses, who's on the high one, friend? The one who confesses his humanity and seeks to amend his wrongdoings after the fact, or the one who pretends he does no wrong in the first place, and/or who alleges he has the right to be offended in perpetuity, in contrast with Christ's explicit command to do otherwise?

That's the one and only one weak spot of the East - that ugly, uppity, self-righteous sectarian spirit. But for this, it would nigh be Paradise on Earth...Would that the West had so few Achilles heels.

Last edited by Talon; 05/09/14 01:17 AM.
The Greek Catholics need more Father Wolanskys (sp?). Reading Kuropas's survey of the growth of the Greek Catholic communities is rather inspiring, and heartbreaking, at the same time

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  theophan 

Link Copied to Clipboard
The Byzantine Forum provides message boards for discussions focusing on Eastern Christianity (though discussions of other topics are welcome). The views expressed herein are those of the participants and may or may not reflect the teachings of the Byzantine Catholic or any other Church. The Byzantine Forum and the www.byzcath.org site exist to help build up the Church but are unofficial, have no connection with any Church entity, and should not be looked to as a source for official information for any Church. All posts become property of byzcath.org. Contents copyright - 1996-2024 (Forum 1998-2023). All rights reserved.