The Byzantine Forum
Newest Members
Margarita, Cae, Cyril_Meth, ruthenianbyz513, Panteleimon
5625 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 113 guests, and 550 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Photos
Byzantine Nebraska
Church of the Holy Trinity (UGCC) - Brazil
Papal Audience 10 November 2017
Upgraded Russian icon corner
Russian Greek Catholic Global Congress
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics34,808
Posts412,317
Members5,625
Most Online3,380
Dec 29th, 2019
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
New Eparchy in Capital City of Romania; Church's Youngest Bishop #406037 05/29/14 05:14 PM
L
Latin Catholic Offline OP
OP Offline
L
His Beatitude Lucian, Head of the Romanian Greek-Catholic Church, with the consent of the Synod of Bishops and having consulted the Apostolic See, has created a new eparchy in the Romanian capital city of Bucuresti (Bucharest). It will be called the Eparchy of Sfântul Vasile cel Mare de Bucuresti (Saint Basil the Great of Bucharest). The first eparchial bishop will be Bishop Mihai (Fratila), until now auxiliary bishop of Fagaras and Alba Iulia.

In separate news, the Synod of Bishops of the Ukrainian Greek-Catholic Church, with the assent of Pope Francis, has elected Father Yosafat Moschych as auxiliary bishop of Ivano-Frankivsk, Ukraine. The bishop-elect was born on September 16, 1976, and will become the youngest bishop in the Catholic Church.

Many years!

Sources: Communique of the Romanian Greek-Catholic Church. Bulletin of the Holy See Press Office. News from the Ukrainian Greek-Catholic Church. Bulletin of the Holy See Press Office.

Re: New Eparchy in Capital City of Romania; Church's Youngest Bishop [Re: Latin Catholic] #406043 05/29/14 10:15 PM
Orthodox Catholic Offline
Many years all around!!

My mother is from Romania and when she was in hospital last year after having her leg amputated, a wonderful Romanian Greek-Catholic priest attended her and they spoke to one another in Romanian.

My old next door neighbour is Antiochian Orthodox with an Arab father and a Romanian mother.

His mother (+memory eternal!) once told me she visited the Monaster of Sfinte Ioan Cel Nou or St John the New of Suceava for a pilgrimage.

She went to confession to a priest who spoke Ukrainian and Russian. When she told him she only spoke Romanian, he said that he too spoke Romanian and she said he confessed her very well!

May All Saints of Romania protect the Romanian Greek Catholic Church and the Romanian Orthodox Patriarchate!!

May St Paissy Velichkovsky, who loved the Romanian people and language all his life, and who introduced into Romania the teaching on the Jesus Prayer and the veneration of the Kyivan Saints Volodymyr and Olha, Boris and Hlib and Sts Anthony and Theodosius of the Kyiv Caves, together with St Petro Mohyla of Kyiv the Moldovian, intercede for Ukraine and Romania.

Alex

Last edited by Orthodox Catholic; 05/29/14 10:17 PM.
Re: New Eparchy in Capital City of Romania; Church's Youngest Bishop [Re: Orthodox Catholic] #406064 05/31/14 07:57 PM
Alice Offline
Dear Alex,

Just what is your ethnic background?!? wink grin

(You are getting us all confused!)

Regards,
Alice

Re: New Eparchy in Capital City of Romania; Church's Youngest Bishop [Re: Latin Catholic] #406074 06/01/14 05:16 PM
B
bergschlawiner Offline
B
Ethnic background of Alex sounds a lot less confusing than 90% of the others on this forum! He's obviously 50% Rommanian DNA from his post.

Re: New Eparchy in Capital City of Romania; Church's Youngest Bishop [Re: Latin Catholic] #406078 06/01/14 05:54 PM
Lester S Offline
Many years!

Re: New Eparchy in Capital City of Romania; Church's Youngest Bishop [Re: Latin Catholic] #406086 06/02/14 08:49 AM
Economos Roman V. Russo Offline
My maternal great-grandfather was from Bukovina but considered himself Russian! His wife, my great-grandmother was Hungarian from Budapest. They both were subject of the Austro-Hungarian Empire. The language they had in common -- German! Go figure!

Re: New Eparchy in Capital City of Romania; Church's Youngest Bishop [Re: Alice] #406126 06/03/14 09:23 AM
Orthodox Catholic Offline
Hello Mother Alice!

My maternal grandfather was Polish and his wife was Ukrainian (the sister of the Bukovynian writer, Olha Kobylanska) but migrated to Romania where they declared themselves to be Romanian, learned the language etc.

Several languages were spoken at home, but Ukrainian identity was what my parents wanted their children to have. German, Italian, Romanian and Polish were spoken in addition (very little Eengleesh).

My family has always had both Catholic and Orthodox members which is why I simply call myself "Orthodox Catholic" so as not to offend any of my blood relatives in the first instance . . .

Alex

Last edited by Orthodox Catholic; 06/03/14 09:26 AM.

Moderated by  Father Anthony 

The Byzantine Forum provides message boards for discussions focusing on Eastern Christianity (though discussions of other topics are welcome). The views expressed herein are those of the participants and may or may not reflect the teachings of the Byzantine Catholic or any other Church. The Byzantine Forum and the www.byzcath.org site exist to help build up the Church but are unofficial, have no connection with any Church entity, and should not be looked to as a source for official information for any Church. All posts become property of byzcath.org. Contents copyright - 1996-2020 (Forum 1998-2020). All rights reserved.