The Byzantine Forum
Newest Members
Galumph, Leon_C, Rocco, Hvizsgyak, P.W.
5,984 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 456 guests, and 39 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Photos
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
by orthodoxsinner2, September 30
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
by Veronica.H, April 24
Byzantine Catholic Outreach of Iowa
Exterior of Holy Angels Byzantine Catholic Parish
Church of St Cyril of Turau & All Patron Saints of Belarus
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics35,389
Posts416,722
Members5,984
Most Online3,380
Dec 29th, 2019
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#405433 05/04/14 08:40 AM
L
OP Offline
L
2 questions regrading Slavonic.
1-What amount of usage is there in your particular BC church?
We have absolutely none, as if it never existed.
2-Are all seminarians in our Byzantine Rite taught Slavonic?

P
P
So far as I can tell, the only two churches widely using liturgical Slavonic are the Russian Orthodox and Ruthenian Churches.

Even the Serbians and Bulgarians are using the vernaculars, I've been told.

M
M
My parish on the West coast, when I attended in the1980s had a Slavonic liturgy one Sunday a month. The priest was not a product of an Eastern seminary, but thought he knew everything. I do not know what they do now.
I attended the Ruthenian seminary at the end of that same decade. One was taught to read Slavonic in the church script. This was difficult for most since most seminarians had little exposure to any foreign languages -- I had Russian in university and it was a breeze. I cannot remember if we had Slavonic DL every other day or just certsin days of the week. I know we had either evening prayers or vespers in Slavonic sometimes. Our texts were in the Latin script, but I think that priests and deacons may have used traditional books in Church script. What they do now, I do not know.
None of this is really important today since Catholics who attend these services would be too unfamiliar with the language.
It is still a relevant languages in areas with high Russian and Ukrainian immigrations. However someone like me only understands the parts that are repeated every Sunday. I I actually have the text in front of me, I woukd understand more.
I probably did not answer your question.

Pasisozi #406761 07/06/14 05:00 PM
D
D
Originally Posted by Pasisozi
So far as I can tell, the only two churches widely using liturgical Slavonic are the Russian Orthodox and Ruthenian Churches.

English is the liturgical language of the Phoenix Eparchy (and I assume for the entire Pittsburgh Metropolia, formerly known as Ruthenian)

hawk

D
D
We use about 50/50 English/Slavonic at www.stnich.org. [stnich.org.] We are gradually moving to a greater proportion of English.

E
E
At St. Michael's Russian Catholic Chapel Great Vespers is served entirely in English. The Divine Liturgy is taken with about 70% English, 30% OCS. The Gospel is chanted in English and Modern Russian. Randomly we serve parts of the Divine Liturgy in a Modern Russian translation published by the Moscow Patriarchate.

dochawk #406774 07/07/14 04:09 PM
Originally Posted By: Pasisozi

English is the liturgical language of the Phoenix Eparchy (and I assume for the entire Pittsburgh Metropolia, formerly known as Ruthenian)

hawk

I believe the Mother Church of the Byzantine Ruthenian Metropolia still uses, primary, Old Slavonic in the Divine Liturgy.

Last edited by Nelson Chase; 07/07/14 04:09 PM.
E
E
Our parish varies in the usage. It really depends on a lot of factors, including if there is a bishop visiting from the Ukraine. I have seen a Litury done which was about 40% Slavonic and I have seen Liturgy done with none.

And everything in between.

depends on who's there. Predominantly Ukrainians, then Father takes the litanies, mostly in Ukrainian. When doing the Trisagion, we do it in Ukrainian Slavonic; Our Father is done in the same fashion, but we use English, first.

Moderated by  theophan 

Link Copied to Clipboard
The Byzantine Forum provides message boards for discussions focusing on Eastern Christianity (though discussions of other topics are welcome). The views expressed herein are those of the participants and may or may not reflect the teachings of the Byzantine Catholic or any other Church. The Byzantine Forum and the www.byzcath.org site exist to help build up the Church but are unofficial, have no connection with any Church entity, and should not be looked to as a source for official information for any Church. All posts become property of byzcath.org. Contents copyright - 1996-2024 (Forum 1998-2023). All rights reserved.