The Byzantine Forum
Newest Members
Rocco, Hvizsgyak, P.W., Ramon, PeaceBeToAll
5,982 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
1 members (1 invisible), 167 guests, and 48 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Photos
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
by orthodoxsinner2, September 30
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
by Veronica.H, April 24
Byzantine Catholic Outreach of Iowa
Exterior of Holy Angels Byzantine Catholic Parish
Church of St Cyril of Turau & All Patron Saints of Belarus
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics35,388
Posts416,719
Members5,982
Most Online3,380
Dec 29th, 2019
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#407796 08/21/14 10:22 AM
OP Offline
Christ is in our midst!!

This situation occurred in the course of my professional practice and I didn't know how to handle it nor how to answer. So I'd appreciate your advice brothers and sisters.

A funeral occurred on a Friday during Lent. The family went to the home of one member for lunch afterward. Neighbors had sent in deli platters, ham and potatoes cooked with bacon, and other non-fasting foods. The priest had come for lunch and told the hostess that she must not serve any of that food but put it away for another day. The woman was left to try to serve thefamily with one small can of tuna. Many family members had come from a distance and there was no restaurant option.

Some clergy that I know have said they would have allowed an exception to the rules of fasting. What is practice among some of your communities?

This happened in my family some years ago and the priest was Latin Catholic. I'd like to know about similar Catholic situations but also what is Orthodox practice.

Thanks.

Bob

Last edited by theophan; 08/21/14 10:29 AM. Reason: spelling
Dear Bob,

An exception to the rule, in that case, would have been entirely in order and especially given the circumstances.

This has happened several times in my family during funerals.

Alex

C
C
Originally Posted by Orthodox Catholic
Dear Bob,

An exception to the rule, in that case, would have been entirely in order and especially given the circumstances.

This has happened several times in my family during funerals.

Alex

The priest definitely could've attempted to be more sensitive. He could've simply asked if they had any fasting foods for himself, while not forbidding the hosts from serving meat to the others.

OP Offline
I'm interested in hearing from our Orthodox priest members.

Fathers?

Bob

B
B
About a year ago, I attended the funeral of an elderly Greek Orthodox woman who had not been to church in many years. Her family were not practicing. The funeral was held on a Friday during the Dormition fast. The family served fruit, cheese, salami, crackers and calamari. I didn't pay attention to what the priest consumed, but he voiced no objection to the food served by the family and happily stayed and visited for an hour or so.

Not everyone fasts during the Dormition fast in the Greek tradition, though they should. Probably more do not fast than those who do. In any case, it was still a Friday, but the same holds true for that...

I suspect that the family put out whatever they could to feed visitors, and in the spirit of hospitality that they offered it, one is allowed to partake. Though the fact that they also served calamari gave those who were fasting an option to not break their fast.

When funeral meals are catered, the traditional meal is fried fish.

D
D
I am reminded of the tale of a couple of monks and a banquet . . .

hawk

D
DMD Offline
D
From observing my family members in the Orthodox clergy, Alice's answers reflect the prudent and wise practice. Would all clergy be so minded? .....Not likely, but most would.

Last edited by DMD; 09/15/14 10:40 AM.

Moderated by  theophan 

Link Copied to Clipboard
The Byzantine Forum provides message boards for discussions focusing on Eastern Christianity (though discussions of other topics are welcome). The views expressed herein are those of the participants and may or may not reflect the teachings of the Byzantine Catholic or any other Church. The Byzantine Forum and the www.byzcath.org site exist to help build up the Church but are unofficial, have no connection with any Church entity, and should not be looked to as a source for official information for any Church. All posts become property of byzcath.org. Contents copyright - 1996-2024 (Forum 1998-2023). All rights reserved.