The Byzantine Forum
Newest Members
Galumph, Leon_C, Rocco, Hvizsgyak, P.W.
5,984 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 456 guests, and 39 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Photos
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
by orthodoxsinner2, September 30
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
by Veronica.H, April 24
Byzantine Catholic Outreach of Iowa
Exterior of Holy Angels Byzantine Catholic Parish
Church of St Cyril of Turau & All Patron Saints of Belarus
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics35,389
Posts416,722
Members5,984
Most Online3,380
Dec 29th, 2019
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#407269 08/01/14 04:54 AM
G
OP Offline
G
I have two questions that I would appreciate clarity on them:

a) what is the procedure to be followed by a Roman Catholic who wants to convert to the Orthodox Faith (in particular under the Moscow Patriarchate)?

b) if a Roman Catholic who is a convert to Orthodoxy is in separation procedures of his marriage (Catholic), does the Orthodox Church have jurisdiction and can it declare a divorce?

Christ is in our midst!!

Seems simple. Ask the two questions of the priest in whose parish you want to become a member.

Bob

Originally Posted by G Xuereb
a) what is the procedure to be followed by a Roman Catholic who wants to convert to the Orthodox Faith
I have an answer that's even simpler than Bob's: Don't.

(That's tongue-in-cheek, of course, as I'm giving you the Catholic answer when you are presumably looking for the Orthodox answer. :))

G
OP Offline
G
Originally Posted by Peter J
a) what is the procedure to be followed by a Roman Catholic who wants to convert to the Orthodox Faith
I have an answer that's even simpler than Bob's: Don't.

(That's tongue-in-cheek, of course, as I'm giving you the Catholic answer when you are presumably looking for the Orthodox answer. :))

Dear Peter,

The situation in Malta is quite difficult for serious Roman Catholics. The traditional Latin Mass is, to all intents and purposes, suppressed by the Church. Many articles on this link can confirm this:

http://pro-tridentina-malta.blogspot.com/

To compound matters, there was this development recently:

http://pro-tridentina-malta.blogspot.com/2014/03/important-statement-from-pro-tridentina.html

Needless to say, quite a number of people are searching for greener pastures, so to speak.

The fact that soon the Russian Orthodox Church will have its own church will likely result in more genuine Catholics seeking a reverent liturgy.

http://www.orthodoxmalta.org/105510861084108610971100-10931088107210841091.html

Concluding, obviously I am looking for answers from the Orthodox perspective. I know the Catholic one smile

M
M
I know it is none of my business, but since you are airing it in public...Personally, I think one should convert for positive reasons and not for negative ones.
It seems to me to be a pattern that the more "orthodox" Latin Rite dioceses will not have the Tridentine Mass, yet the more liberal ones will...I suppose it is a way to please everyone, or to siphon of the oddballs from the mainstream.

Dear Peter,

The situation in Malta is quite difficult for serious Roman Catholics. The traditional Latin Mass is, to all intents and purposes, suppressed by the Church. Many articles on this link can confirm this:

Concluding, obviously I am looking for answers from the Orthodox perspective. I know the Catholic one smile
Yes, I thought so. smile

As for not having the TLM available, I agree with you that that's a wrong -- just as it was a wrong that many (most) Catholics in the pre-Vatican II era had Only the TLM available to them.

E
E
There is also the Greek Catholic Church, where the Damascus Icon of the Mother of God is venerated. My old friend Fr. Clovis Mifsud stills serves there. Many years!

G
OP Offline
G
Originally Posted by Ot'ets Nastoiatel'
There is also the Greek Catholic Church, where the Damascus Icon of the Mother of God is venerated. My old friend Fr. Clovis Mifsud stills serves there. Many years!

The Papas is doing an excellent job in Malta for all Eastern Churches:

http://p27707.typo3server.info/websys/1055/pdf/orthodox_christians.pdf

G
OP Offline
G
Originally Posted by Mark R
I know it is none of my business, but since you are airing it in public...Personally, I think one should convert for positive reasons and not for negative ones.
It seems to me to be a pattern that the more "orthodox" Latin Rite dioceses will not have the Tridentine Mass, yet the more liberal ones will...I suppose it is a way to please everyone, or to siphon of the oddballs from the mainstream.

In essence, the point of converting in this case is two-fold:

a) to know God correctly and completely; and

b) give him right glory by worshipping him properly.

These are positive reasons in my opinion.

M
M
I am considering doing basically the same thing, GX, but in my case it is very good to count the cost.
However, no one will know God completely.

G
OP Offline
G
Originally Posted by Mark R
I am considering doing basically the same thing, GX, but in my case it is very good to count the cost.
However, no one will know God completely.

You're right Mark. My sentence leaves a lot to be desired eek

What I mean is understanding and knowing God better.

E
Za myr z'wysot ...
Za myr z'wysot ...
E
What is the procedure to be followed by a Roman Catholic who wants to convert to the Orthodox Faith (in particular under the Moscow Patriarchate)?
GX,

While I agree with Bob's suggestion to ask the priest in whose parish you want to become a member, I would like to emphasize the importance of attending services at the Orthodox parish for some time (one year seems like a good baseline, although circumstances might call for more or less time) before making a final decision.

IMHO, making the change from Catholic to Orthodox (or vice-versa) has to be considered very carefully for two reasons:
  • According to the canons of both churches, this is a formal "conversion," and requires the candidate to renounce his/her previous affiliation
  • For those of us who long for unity, every one of these "renunciations" seems like a further blow to unity

The situation in Malta is quite difficult for serious Roman Catholics. The traditional Latin Mass is, to all intents and purposes, suppressed by the Church.

Needless to say, quite a number of people are searching for greener pastures, so to speak.

The fact that soon the Russian Orthodox Church will have its own church will likely result in more genuine Catholics seeking a reverent liturgy.
The problem here is that becoming Orthodox means a lot more than merely "casting a vote" for reverent liturgy. After a year (or perhaps 2 or 3 years), you may feel differently about your decision.

Peace,
Deacon Richard

Deacon Richard, your first bullet point seems to be taken on differently, based on parish culture. I know of some parishes who wouldn't ask people to drop their formal affiliations in credal fashion

GX, have you befriended anyone at the prospective parish you want to make your home? If you haven't, try hooking up with one who will give you an honest picture, and will play devil's advocate.

Depending on the jurisdiction you may be asked to partake in inquirer's classes, and become a catechumen. After that, you may be chrismated fully, instead of partially.

Because, choosing Orthodoxy isn't just about reverent liturgy; and, as StuartK would attest, nobody has a monopoly on bad liturgy. It would have to be an affirmation of what the Orthodox hold, and believe.

Originally Posted by Lester S
Deacon Richard, your first bullet point seems to be taken on differently, based on parish culture. I know of some parishes who wouldn't ask people to drop their formal affiliations in credal fashion
Right. But the bottom line is the same anyhow: your former bishop is no longer your bishop.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Irish Melkite, theophan 

Link Copied to Clipboard
The Byzantine Forum provides message boards for discussions focusing on Eastern Christianity (though discussions of other topics are welcome). The views expressed herein are those of the participants and may or may not reflect the teachings of the Byzantine Catholic or any other Church. The Byzantine Forum and the www.byzcath.org site exist to help build up the Church but are unofficial, have no connection with any Church entity, and should not be looked to as a source for official information for any Church. All posts become property of byzcath.org. Contents copyright - 1996-2024 (Forum 1998-2023). All rights reserved.