The Byzantine Forum
Newest Members
Annapolis Melkites, Daniel Hoseiny, PaulV, ungvar1900, Donna Zoll
5,993 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 375 guests, and 41 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Photos
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
by orthodoxsinner2, September 30
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
by Veronica.H, April 24
Byzantine Catholic Outreach of Iowa
Exterior of Holy Angels Byzantine Catholic Parish
Church of St Cyril of Turau & All Patron Saints of Belarus
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics35,393
Posts416,749
Members5,993
Most Online3,380
Dec 29th, 2019
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
L
OP Offline
L
Statement of the Patriarch of Kyiv and All Rus-Ukraine Filaret

And Cain said to Abel his brother: [let’s go to the field]. And when they were in the field, Cain rose up against Abel his brother, and slew him. And the LORD said unto Cain, Where is Abel thy brother? He said: I do not know; Am I my brother's keeper?

Genesis 4: 8-9

Dear brothers and sisters, all people of good will!

With great regret I have to say now publicly that among the rulers of this world upon the fact of baptism, belonging to the Orthodox Church, appeared a real new Cain - not by name, but by deeds.

These matters indicate that the abovementioned governor as the first in the history fratricide Cain, came under the action of Satan.

From the Holy Scriptures, we know that two great sins, murder and lie are in close unity with each other, as the ruler and the inspiratior of both is the devil. Therefore, anyone who indulges in these sins, according to the Savior, has the devil as his father, "your father is the devil; and you want to fulfill the lusts of your father. He was a murderer from the beginning, and abode not in the truth, because there is no truth in him. When he lies, he speaks his native language, for he is a liar and the father of lies "(John 8:44).

"From everyone to whom much is given, much will be required, and who has been entrusted with more will be asked" - says the Lord Jesus Christ (Luke 12:48). A lot of power was given into the hands of the abovementioned ruler, but both the world and we are witnessing the fact that he drew this power not on good deeds, but on evil.

It was at his behest that the media in his country day and night in many languages ??spread cynical lie about Ukraine, sow enmity against the Ukrainian people, and against our desire to be independent and build our own sovereign state, they provoke bloodshed and murder in the Donbass.

He says outright and blatant lies: organizing and sending killers mercenaries to our country, speaks of "internal conflict", to which he allegedly is not involved; sending to Ukraine his troops, he publicly states that these forces are not present there. At the time when in Ukraine the perished soldiers, defenders of the Fatherland are buried as heroes, the soldiers of his country, who died in the Donbas, are buried secretly, carefully concealing the truth about the circumstances of their death.

This ruler is cynically lying, saying that his country is not a party to the conflict in Ukraine - although he did everything in order to foment the conflict and maintain it.

Numerous victims are the consequence of his actions. In recent months, soldiers are killed every day and volunteers, who protect Ukraine from the aggressor, which loves to call himself our brother. The fighting affects millions of civilians and tens of thousands are forced to flee from war, hundreds were killed. Cities and villages of the Donbass turn into ruins.

Seeing this, and as the Patriarch, being responsible before God for the Orthodox Ukrainian people, I affirm that the greatest blame for all this lies on the abovementioned governor. In his will and power is to immediately stop the bloodshed and death, but it is for the sake of his pride he continues to multiply evil. He calls himself a brother to the Ukrainian people, but in fact according to his deeds, he really became the new Cain, shedding the brotherly blood and entangling the whole world with lies.

His lie is misleading some people, and they think that in fact this ruler protects traditional spiritual and moral values ??from the ravages of globalization. But the fruit of his actions, which the Gospel calls us to evaluate, suggest otherwise.

Therefore, to the tempted with lies, and especially to the Orthodox, both in Ukraine and all over the world, I recall the words of the Savior: "Beware of false prophets, which come to you in sheep's clothing, but inwardly they are ravening wolves. By their fruits ye shall know them. Do men gather grapes of thorns, or figs of thistles? Even so, every good tree bears good fruit, but a bad tree bears bad fruit. A good tree can not bring forth evil fruit, neither a corrupt tree bring forth good fruit. Every tree that bringeth not forth good fruit is hewn down, and cast into the fire. So by their fruits ye shall know them "(Matthew 7: 15-20).

Calls for this ruler and his minions have already been sounded many times publicly - to think again, to stop sowing evil and death, to repent. But it seems that he remains deaf to these appeals and only multiplies evil, because satan went into him, as into Judas Iscariot.

However, relying on God's mercy to all sinners, yet we maintain hope on repentance of this ruler and refer to him the call of millions of people:” Stop, cease the multiplication of lies and murder, come to your senses!

For your actions you separate yourself from the Orthodox Church and God, doom yourself to an ignominious end of this life and eternal damnation in hell - in the life of the future world. For all the blood that was shed at your will, and the evil done by your order, your punishment will be the same as the punishment of the liar and fratricide Cain - the curse and eternal damnation.

If you do not repent, the words of Scripture will be fulfilled on you: "He loved cursing, so - and it will come to him; delighted not in blessing, - and it is from him; He clothed cursing as with a garment, so let it come out like water, into his bowels and like oil into his bones; let it be unto him as the garment which he dresses like a belt tied forever around him. Such is the reward of my adversaries from the LORD, and speaking evil against my soul "(Psalm 108: 17-20). From this penalty you can be saved only by sincere repentance, confirmed by deeds, not by flattering words of church hierarchy dependent on you, headed by the Patriarch of the country led by you.”

Also I call on the faithful in Ukraine to pray for a fair trial and a worthy nemesis from God to this ruler. Do not be afraid of his power - because in comparison with the power of God, it is nothing, and though his heart became cruel, as the heart of the ancient Pharaoh, but the end of his strength is close.

Remember, brothers and sisters, the words of Scripture, and let your heart not doubt that the truth and power of God will win the latest Cain and the new Pharaoh, from slavery to which the Lord brings Ukraine out. "As Pharaoh approached, the Israelites looked up, and behold, the Egyptians marched after them: and they were sore afraid, and the Israelites cried out to the Lord, and said unto Moses, Because there were no graves in Egypt, hast thou taken us away to die in the wilderness? What have you done to us by bringing us out of Egypt? Is not this the word that we did tell thee in Egypt, saying, Let us alone, that we may serve the Egyptians? For it is better for us to serve the Egyptians than to die in the wilderness. And Moses said unto the people, Fear ye not, stand still - and see the salvation of the LORD, which he will shew to you to day: for the Egyptians whom you see today you will never see them again forever The Lord will fight for you, and you do not worry "(Exodus 14, 10-14).

I call on God's blessing to Ukraine and our pious people!

Filaret,

Patriarch of Kyiv and All Rus-Ukraine

September 5, 2014

Source: "New Cain: Statement of the Patriarch of Kyiv and All Rus-Ukraine Filaret" [cerkva.info]

If someone is good at Ukrainian [cerkva.info] or Russian [cerkva.info], perhaps he or she could improve the English translation?

Originally Posted by Latin Catholic

And Cain said to Abel his brother: [let’s go to the field]. And when they were in the field, Cain rose up against Abel his brother, and slew him. And the LORD said unto Cain, Where is Abel thy brother? He said: I do not know; Am I my brother's keeper?

With great regret I have to say now publicly that among the rulers of this world upon the fact of baptism, belonging to the Orthodox Church, appeared a real new Cain - not by name, but by deeds.

These matters indicate that the abovementioned governor as the first in the history fratricide Cain, came under the action of Satan.

From the Holy Scriptures, we know that two great sins, murder and lie are in close unity with each other, as the ruler and the inspiratior of both is the devil. Therefore, anyone who indulges in these sins, according to the Savior, has the devil as his father, "your father is the devil; and you want to fulfill the lusts of your father. He was a murderer from the beginning, and abode not in the truth, because there is no truth in him. When he lies, he speaks his native language, for he is a liar and the father of lies "(John 8:44).

"From everyone to whom much is given, much will be required, and who has been entrusted with more will be asked" - says the Lord Jesus Christ (Luke 12:48). A lot of power was given into the hands of the abovementioned ruler, but both the world and we are witnessing the fact that he drew this power not on good deeds, but on evil.

It was at his behest that the media in his country day and night in many languages ??spread cynical lie about Ukraine, sow enmity against the Ukrainian people, and against our desire to be independent and build our own sovereign state, they provoke bloodshed and murder in the Donbass.

He says outright and blatant lies: organizing and sending killers mercenaries to our country, speaks of "internal conflict", to which he allegedly is not involved; sending to Ukraine his troops, he publicly states that these forces are not present there. At the time when in Ukraine the perished soldiers, defenders of the Fatherland are buried as heroes, the soldiers of his country, who died in the Donbas, are buried secretly, carefully concealing the truth about the circumstances of their death.

This ruler is cynically lying, saying that his country is not a party to the conflict in Ukraine - although he did everything in order to foment the conflict and maintain it.

Numerous victims are the consequence of his actions. In recent months, soldiers are killed every day and volunteers, who protect Ukraine from the aggressor, which loves to call himself our brother. The fighting affects millions of civilians and tens of thousands are forced to flee from war, hundreds were killed. Cities and villages of the Donbass turn into ruins.

Seeing this, and as the Patriarch, being responsible before God for the Orthodox Ukrainian people, I affirm that the greatest blame for all this lies on the abovementioned governor. In his will and power is to immediately stop the bloodshed and death, but it is for the sake of his pride he continues to multiply evil. He calls himself a brother to the Ukrainian people, but in fact according to his deeds, he really became the new Cain, shedding the brotherly blood and entangling the whole world with lies.

His lie is misleading some people, and they think that in fact this ruler protects traditional spiritual and moral values ??from the ravages of globalization. But the fruit of his actions, which the Gospel calls us to evaluate, suggest otherwise.

Therefore, to the tempted with lies, and especially to the Orthodox, both in Ukraine and all over the world, I recall the words of the Savior: "Beware of false prophets, which come to you in sheep's clothing, but inwardly they are ravening wolves. By their fruits ye shall know them. Do men gather grapes of thorns, or figs of thistles? Even so, every good tree bears good fruit, but a bad tree bears bad fruit. A good tree can not bring forth evil fruit, neither a corrupt tree bring forth good fruit. Every tree that bringeth not forth good fruit is hewn down, and cast into the fire. So by their fruits ye shall know them "(Matthew 7: 15-20).

Calls for this ruler and his minions have already been sounded many times publicly - to think again, to stop sowing evil and death, to repent. But it seems that he remains deaf to these appeals and only multiplies evil, because satan went into him, as into Judas Iscariot.

However, relying on God's mercy to all sinners, yet we maintain hope on repentance of this ruler and refer to him the call of millions of people:” Stop, cease the multiplication of lies and murder, come to your senses!

For your actions you separate yourself from the Orthodox Church and God, doom yourself to an ignominious end of this life and eternal damnation in hell - in the life of the future world. For all the blood that was shed at your will, and the evil done by your order, your punishment will be the same as the punishment of the liar and fratricide Cain - the curse and eternal damnation.

If you do not repent, the words of Scripture will be fulfilled on you: "He loved cursing, so - and it will come to him; delighted not in blessing, - and it is from him; He clothed cursing as with a garment, so let it come out like water, into his bowels and like oil into his bones; let it be unto him as the garment which he dresses like a belt tied forever around him. Such is the reward of my adversaries from the LORD, and speaking evil against my soul "(Psalm 108: 17-20). From this penalty you can be saved only by sincere repentance, confirmed by deeds, not by flattering words of church hierarchy dependent on you, headed by the Patriarch of the country led by you.”

Also I call on the faithful in Ukraine to pray for a fair trial and a worthy nemesis from God to this ruler. Do not be afraid of his power - because in comparison with the power of God, it is nothing, and though his heart became cruel, as the heart of the ancient Pharaoh, but the end of his strength is close.

Remember, brothers and sisters, the words of Scripture, and let your heart not doubt that the truth and power of God will win the latest Cain and the new Pharaoh, from slavery to which the Lord brings Ukraine out. "As Pharaoh approached, the Israelites looked up, and behold, the Egyptians marched after them: and they were sore afraid, and the Israelites cried out to the Lord, and said unto Moses, Because there were no graves in Egypt, hast thou taken us away to die in the wilderness? What have you done to us by bringing us out of Egypt? Is not this the word that we did tell thee in Egypt, saying, Let us alone, that we may serve the Egyptians? For it is better for us to serve the Egyptians than to die in the wilderness. And Moses said unto the people, Fear ye not, stand still - and see the salvation of the LORD, which he will shew to you to day: for the Egyptians whom you see today you will never see them again forever The Lord will fight for you, and you do not worry "(Exodus 14, 10-14).

Filaret,

September 5, 2014

Source: "New Cain: Statement of the Patriarch of Kyiv and All Rus-Ukraine Filaret" [cerkva.info]

If someone is good at Ukrainian [cerkva.info] or Russian [cerkva.info], perhaps he or she could improve the English translation?

I will never forget when His Holiness visited Canada recently but was shunned by the Ukrainian Orthodox Metropolitan Vladyka Yurij (who also told his priests not to be in the same neighbourhood with the Patriarch).

Our UGCC parish of St Demetrius, however, welcomed him during a Sunday Liturgy which was attended by MANY Ukrainian Orthodox lay people. All the priests of the parish greeted the Patriarch at the doors and they all kissed his hand and received his blessing.

Of course,, I couldn't resist telling my Orthodox acquaintances who were there why no UOCC church would welcome him. I also told him that I am UGCC but that the Patriarch is also "my patriarch . . ." etc.

The Patriarch toured the seniors' residence there and even awarded a UOC-KP medal to our parish priest for all his work kon behalf of Ukrainian seniors, Catholic and Orthodox.

It was touching to see the Orthodox seniors shed tears as the Patriarch moved about them, kissing his hand etc.

Alex

D
DMD Offline
D
Those are powerful words in His Holiness' statement, not the typical middle of the road equivocation usually seen in matters political. The language out of Moscow is equally harsh, leaving one rather unable to see a means by which the Orthodox factions can ever restore relations. Pray for peace and healing.

Originally Posted by Latin Catholic

Filaret,

September 5, 2014

Thank you for posting that LC. I sometimes wonder why some politicians, including my country's president, don't speak against Putin in such strong terms.

D
DMD Offline
D
Just to be clear, I was not equating in terms of substance or message the tomes from Moscow with that of the Patriarch here. I rather agree with his boldness and fear the consequences.

Dear Peter,

It isn't politic to speak against Putin on this very forum, let alone in political circles! wink

Alex

Originally Posted by DMD
Just to be clear, I was not equating in terms of substance or message the tomes from Moscow with that of the Patriarch here. I rather agree with his boldness and fear the consequences.

It would appear that negotiations between Moscow and Kyiv are underway and today's announcement, acknowledged as true by Kyiv, that 70% of Putin's forces are out of Ukraine is welcome news.

Putin wants to achieve certain things - and will - including the guaranteed greater autonomy of the areas in the east where the Russian special forces have been very active in the last few months. That autonomy will almost certainly ensure that Ukraine never joins NATO - not that NATO is such a force to be reckoned with by anyone at present . . .

Alex

Originally Posted by DMD
Those are powerful words in His Holiness' statement, not the typical middle of the road equivocation usually seen in matters political. The language out of Moscow is equally harsh, leaving one rather unable to see a means by which the Orthodox factions can ever restore relations. Pray for peace and healing.

Dear DMD,

You dare refer to the UOC-Kp leader as "His Holiness?" A more radicala statement about someone who is outside of canonical Orthodoxy I've not heard - and coming from an Orthodox Christian as yourself!

Keep up the good work sir! grin

Alex

D
DMD Offline
D
I do post at a forum where we are supposed to use honorifics for clergy regardless of jurisdiction.So the Pope is His Holiness as well. They also use a 'broad' definition of Orthodox there - sometimes it gets in the way, othertimes it is appropriate.(In other words, you can't call a schismatic a schismatic there....)

In this case, I thought about it and I did not use the title casually. His words were so strong and poignant coming from a man of his age and from the background in which his priesthood was formed, and his passion - yes passion - was so clear that I thought that the honorific was warranted. As we've all noted, there are no doctrinal or dogmatic differences between the UOC-MP and the UOC-KP = the disctinctions are temporal and secular in nature. So be it.

I'm kind of fond of the old prelate myself!

I bow to your erudition, sir!

Alex

I've never liked to comment on Ukrainian matters because, frankly, I value my sanity but I do have to admit a strong dislike for Pat. Filaret, not least because of his support for the former schismatics in the Alternative Synod of the Bulgarian Church.

In any case, regardless of the position one takes on the status of the Ukrainian Church, I do think he is probably one of the biggest (if not the biggest) obstacles facing the Church there and I don't believe we will see any movement on this matter whilst he is Patriarch.

B
B
Hard to tell, isn't it? On one hand, the Ukrainians have suffered much and continue to suffer. Prayers for them. On the other hand, they are a bit like the Irish of eastern Europe. Hard to get along with, don't like each other, or anyone else. How the situation there will play out is anyone's guess.

Dear Charles,

In fact, you are still not getting it at all.

The Ukrainians, Orthodox, Catholic etc. are closer to each other now than ever before.

Today the European Parliament signed a landmark association deal with the government of Kyiv and ratified it.

Ukrainians love one another and all of Europe.

The situation is playing out very nicely there, thank you very much.

I don't know about your USA though . . .

Alex

Originally Posted by AntonI
I've never liked to comment on Ukrainian matters because, frankly, I value my sanity but I do have to admit a strong dislike for Pat. Filaret, not least because of his support for the former schismatics in the Alternative Synod of the Bulgarian Church.

In any case, regardless of the position one takes on the status of the Ukrainian Church, I do think he is probably one of the biggest (if not the biggest) obstacles facing the Church there and I don't believe we will see any movement on this matter whilst he is Patriarch.

Dear AntonI,

No one is assailing your sanity. His Holiness Patriarch Filaret has a very high profile in Ukraine as a whole right now. The UOC-MP Hierarchs don't.

As for church politics, all even canonical Orthodox Churches engage in that.

If you were going to like or dislike any of them on the basis of their politicking - I think we'd find they would all be somewhat reprehensible.

The Ukrainian Catholics and the UOC-KP are getting along famously.

I myself kissed his hand when he was here and my parish priest congratulated me on that . . .

I'd do it again, any time.

Alex

B
B
The situation is playing out very nicely there, thank you very much.

Wait until next week! Ukrainian politics is like our East Tennessee weather. If you don't like it, wait thirty minutes and it will change. LOL.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Irish Melkite, theophan 

Link Copied to Clipboard
The Byzantine Forum provides message boards for discussions focusing on Eastern Christianity (though discussions of other topics are welcome). The views expressed herein are those of the participants and may or may not reflect the teachings of the Byzantine Catholic or any other Church. The Byzantine Forum and the www.byzcath.org site exist to help build up the Church but are unofficial, have no connection with any Church entity, and should not be looked to as a source for official information for any Church. All posts become property of byzcath.org. Contents copyright - 1996-2024 (Forum 1998-2023). All rights reserved.