The Byzantine Forum
Newest Members
Annapolis Melkites, Daniel Hoseiny, PaulV, ungvar1900, Donna Zoll
5,993 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 344 guests, and 39 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Photos
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
by orthodoxsinner2, September 30
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
by Veronica.H, April 24
Byzantine Catholic Outreach of Iowa
Exterior of Holy Angels Byzantine Catholic Parish
Church of St Cyril of Turau & All Patron Saints of Belarus
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics35,393
Posts416,749
Members5,993
Most Online3,380
Dec 29th, 2019
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Nataly Offline OP
OP Offline
Greek Catholics in the Crimea may be left without the church, said today the Head of the Ukrainian Greek Catholic Church in Lviv Sviatoslav Shevchuk.

According to him, from 1 January 2015 the UGCC on the peninsula will be outlawed, and all the church premises and churches will be confiscated.

As stated by the Head of the Greek Catholics, this applies to all churches and religious organizations in the Crimea.

"The so-called Crimean authorities issued a new law under which all religious organizations must go through the process of re-registration to the end of the year. The requirements are very difficult. But even if we had all the requirements, there should be no guarantee that the Greek-Catholic community in the Crimea should have the right to exist ", - said the Head of the UGCC.

http://www.radiosvoboda.org/content/article/26652522.html

M
M
Nataly,

Thank you for sharing this. I will pass it on to a few friends and remember our UGCC brothers in prayer!

Messdiener

M
M
For those interested, here is an English-language article on the same topic with a few additional details:

http://euromaidanpress.com/2014/10/...-his-church-may-be-liquidated-in-crimea/

Last edited by Messdiener; 10/26/14 06:21 PM.
Well, but look at it this way - with the UGCC once again forcibly united to the MP, there will only be one Church in Crimea with no further need of ecumenical talks etc.!

One always has to look on the bright side of things . . . confused

God bless you Nataly! I keep the belt you so kindly sent me from the Lavra with me always!

Alex

Last edited by Orthodox Catholic; 10/28/14 11:26 AM.
The Euromaidan Press may not be the most overly objective and having made pilgrimages to both Crimea and the Donbass, I would be surprised at any real changes in Crimea. The official languages of the Autonomous Republic are Russian, Ukrainian and Tartar, which is actually officially more inclusive than Ukraine was prior to the Minorities Language Law passed ... ironically under Yanukovych. Russia wants to showcase Crimea and it is not in their best interest from a tourism business perspective to not allow the Greek Catholic Parishes. I really would be surprised at any major changes occuring after January 1st.

Christ Is Among Us! Indeed He Is And Ever Shall Be!

Just my ... Three Cents.

The Crimean Parliament had it's name above the entrance in Ukrainian, Russian and Crimean. It is now in Russian only. The only people who will not suffer under Muscovite occupation will be those loyal to the kremlin and the local bandit regime.

ECs, RCs and Orthodox not under Moscow are all in trouble in Crimea.

As for the Crimean Tartars, they may not be deported this time around, but things are being made extremely uncomfortable for them. Why risk the all the bad publicity of deporting people if you can 'convince' them to 'choose' to leave?

Removed as the post doesn't make any Cents . . . smile

Last edited by Orthodox Catholic; 11/24/14 01:35 PM.

Link Copied to Clipboard
The Byzantine Forum provides message boards for discussions focusing on Eastern Christianity (though discussions of other topics are welcome). The views expressed herein are those of the participants and may or may not reflect the teachings of the Byzantine Catholic or any other Church. The Byzantine Forum and the www.byzcath.org site exist to help build up the Church but are unofficial, have no connection with any Church entity, and should not be looked to as a source for official information for any Church. All posts become property of byzcath.org. Contents copyright - 1996-2024 (Forum 1998-2023). All rights reserved.