The Byzantine Forum
Newest Members
Rocco, Hvizsgyak, P.W., Ramon, PeaceBeToAll
5,982 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
1 members (theophan), 185 guests, and 55 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Photos
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
by orthodoxsinner2, September 30
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
by Veronica.H, April 24
Byzantine Catholic Outreach of Iowa
Exterior of Holy Angels Byzantine Catholic Parish
Church of St Cyril of Turau & All Patron Saints of Belarus
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics35,389
Posts416,720
Members5,982
Most Online3,380
Dec 29th, 2019
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#410825 03/02/15 11:31 PM
C
OP Offline
C
Hey All,

I am finding, after a year as a convert to the Roman Catholic Church, that I am still drawn to the Eastern churches - I was just a hair away from becoming Orthodox, but felt the chair of Peter was a must. As such, the eastern liturgy, theology, etc is very close to my heart. We have a UGCC here in Omaha, but the parish is very small and all the parishioners (and I say this with all charity) are very old and from Ukraine (obviously). Are there in any Eastern Catholic groups here in Omaha that I am unaware of? Am I mistaken about the Parish? Thank you for your input.

cpotratz #410858 03/08/15 01:15 PM
T
T
Looked on Google for you. Depending on how far you want to drive, there used to be a Melkite Liturgy in Lincoln [melkitenebraska.blogspot.com] (at a Ukrainian parish church) but that might no longer be. Sorry they don't have contact info.

cpotratz #410860 03/08/15 05:13 PM
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
cpotratz,

Welcome to the forum. The website to which Serge linked isn't maintained, unfortunately.

The Melkite Community of Lincoln meets at St George UGCC Church at 3330 N. 13th St. in Lincoln. The phone number is 402-797-3703 and they can be contacted by email

Many years,

Neil

"One day all our ethnic traits ... will have disappeared. Time itself is seeing to this. And so we can not think of our communities as ethnic parishes, ... unless we wish to assure the death of our community."
cpotratz #410863 03/09/15 04:29 AM
L
L
The Melkites have a Facebook [facebook.com] page, though no one is keeping it up presently. Look in the "About" there, too.

C
OP Offline
C
I have been made aware of the Melkite Church a few years back - but Omaha to Lincoln is almost an hour - which is a bit much considering I do have the UGCC here in town. I imagine the Melkite community is rather small too - which is my concern about the UGCC here in town. I say a concern in that I want to meet people, get involved, etc - and everyone at the UGCC says: this parish is dying.

cpotratz #410883 03/11/15 05:16 PM
T
T
Think of your situation as a test of your calling to the Catholic East. Many such American parishes are old and foreign. My first traditional Catholic liturgy was at a Ukrainian parish in New Jersey with the same World War II refugee priest since 1951.

cpotratz #410895 03/14/15 06:44 AM
Been to Omaha on business a few times and was never able to get to the UGCC parish, unfortunately.

You could be the lynchpin upon which the parish's life eventually turns around. Either because of people you invite, or visitors who interact with you and see everyone is not 90 years old, or for some other reason only known to God.

Or you could not be. I can't say.

But eleven or so years in to my own move from RCC to UGCC, I can say this - it takes grace, and stones. The devil is clearly afraid of the Eastern Catholicism (e.g., everything from Cum Data Fuerit to the nightmares of the Middle East), and he will beat on you relentlessly. He will do anything to get you to stop. You will be misunderstood, and yet, the more you learn about the UGCC, the more you will weep for love of its beauty and witness.

But the graces are unbelievable. If it's your calling, you'll do things you never thought you could, especially spiritually. Shocking things. It may take several years.

And on the human level, there is some fun to it. You'll be a novelty to some "in-the-know" Latins - fun at parties and Chesterton Society meetings. Protestants are more willing to talk now than when I was "Romish" (which is hilarious, because almost everything they dislike about Rome is ten times more so with us). It's great fun to lovingly explode folks' uniformitarian constructs of Catholicism (Latin, Orthodox, Protestant, or otherwise). And my parish got great seats when Pope Benedict came to Yankee Stadium several years ago, in a prominent Eastern Catholic section.

Or for you it could be totally easy and humdrum. Your experience may vary.

Booth #410898 03/14/15 01:40 PM
C
OP Offline
C
Good sir, you have hands down won the internet for best comment of the day!

Yes, I imagine that I could, by God's Grace, be of some benefit to the church. They could use a little young blood - but that will only be tested through fire and time.My goal is to attend the DL for one year, and see if the East is my calling. I have been in the RC for a year now (although I was "intellectually" Catholic for 8 years prior.) But, I have not been able to find a parish home because for a year all I have not been able to ignore the call to the East. I could be wrong - but I have to be patient and just see.

I hope my experience does NOT vary form yours - as your 11 years in the UGCC sounds fruitful and blessed.

Thank you for your reply!

cpotratz #410908 03/15/15 06:41 AM
Glory Be To Jesus Christ!

My pleasure. God bless your discernment.

If you're ever in the Albany, NY area, please be sure to look up St. Nicholas UGCC in Watervliet, and say hello.

cpotratz #410959 03/24/15 10:29 AM
Glory to Jesus Christ!
I was going to comment similar to Young Fogey and Booth. The smallness and elderliness of the UGCC parish is the exact opposite of the large Roman parish but it works to your spiritual advantage. The closeness of a smalll parish makes it more likely that you will become spiritually active. If you have some musical talent you could even become the cantor some day.

Paul B #410967 03/25/15 12:47 PM
E
E

I have to echo what some others have already said. For me the smaller, older community of our Byzantine parish has meant for a very close sense belonging there. Even though (and maybe because) we are a young family and don't share the community's ethnic background, they welcomed us enthusiastically. We have made the parish home not because it was familiar to us but simply because the people made us feel at home.

Moderated by  Fr. Deacon Lance 

Link Copied to Clipboard
The Byzantine Forum provides message boards for discussions focusing on Eastern Christianity (though discussions of other topics are welcome). The views expressed herein are those of the participants and may or may not reflect the teachings of the Byzantine Catholic or any other Church. The Byzantine Forum and the www.byzcath.org site exist to help build up the Church but are unofficial, have no connection with any Church entity, and should not be looked to as a source for official information for any Church. All posts become property of byzcath.org. Contents copyright - 1996-2024 (Forum 1998-2023). All rights reserved.