The Byzantine Forum
Newest Members
Annapolis Melkites, Daniel Hoseiny, PaulV, ungvar1900, Donna Zoll
5,993 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 375 guests, and 41 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Photos
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
by orthodoxsinner2, September 30
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
by Veronica.H, April 24
Byzantine Catholic Outreach of Iowa
Exterior of Holy Angels Byzantine Catholic Parish
Church of St Cyril of Turau & All Patron Saints of Belarus
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics35,393
Posts416,749
Members5,993
Most Online3,380
Dec 29th, 2019
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
O
Forum Keilbasa Sleuth
Forum Keilbasa Sleuth
O
The cope used for Benediction at our Ukrainian Orthodox parish still hangs in the vestment closet. It's not the only one I've seen in an Orthodox church. Sure they're relics of a by gone era. However these liturgical artifacts paint a picture that illustrates that (in the case of the one cope) at least some OCA parishes and Ukrainian Orthodox Parishes in Pennsylvania had at one time celebrated Benediction. Most likely this would have taken place during Lent if I recall correctly.
Easy to explain as well. Most of these parishes simply carried over their liturgical practices at the time they made the transition into Orthodox Christianity from Greek Catholicism. And we can safely assume that the Greek Catholics had received the practice of benediction from the Roman Catholics.

F
F
It might be generous to donate the cope to Madonna House for their museum.

Fr. Serge

C
C
A cope? Really? Are you sure you're not getting cope (the cape-like vestment) confused with a humeral veil (worn over the shoulders and hands when elevating the monstrance)?

Dave

T
T
God change, Father Serge!

Last edited by theophan; 06/19/09 10:42 PM. Reason: Correction of slight to clergy
O
Forum Keilbasa Sleuth
Forum Keilbasa Sleuth
O
Originally Posted by Chtec
A cope? Really? Are you sure you're not getting cope (the cape-like vestment) confused with a humeral veil (worn over the shoulders and hands when elevating the monstrance)?

Dave

haha, thanks for correction Dave. It is indeed a humeral veil.
Fr. Serge,Was ist das.. Madonna house?

S
S
Benediction was commonly taken in the Byzantine Church when I was growing up in the 50's and early 60's in Slavonic, then English. I have a book VELIKIJ SBORNIK Preshov 1936. I am not sure how to post a copy of the pages. The service is called Inyj sposob china blahoslovenija Najsv. Evcharistijeju. I am trying to find another book that has a picture, or one of my pictures from Good Friday where the chalice covered with a cloth and a crown on top was in the grave.

T
T
For anyone interested, the Madonna house website is:

http://www.madonnahouse.org/

B
B
While living in Lviv two yrs ago i definitely encountered many benediction services and on Тіло Христове many processions even by very anti "latinization" priests. At one basilian monastery they even had a monstrqnce exposed on the altar during liturgy. Its definitely not confined to st josephat priests. And in slovakia where I live now, benediction in greek rite churches is very common expecially on first fridays

E
E
Is it not strictly forbidden, under current legislation, to offer the Holy Eucharist before the exposed Blessed Sacrament? Just when you thought it was safe to come out of hiding . . . !

E
E
Is it not strictly forbidden, under current legislation, to offer the Holy Eucharist before the exposed Blessed Sacrament? Just when you thought it was safe to come out of hiding . . . !

Such extra-liturgical services are indeed common in EC churches in Eastern Europe and throughout the world.

There are today among Ukrainian Catholics and other EC's in Europe much fewer inhibitions about "Latinization."

The people have seen the "Christianity" of a certain powerful, anti-Western Orthodox Church and want to flee anything having to do with it.

One could posit that "Latinization" and Latinized practices have been given a new lease on life as a result of the policies of the "katsap crowd."

I'm going to a Eucharistic Benediction service and I'm looking forward to many more "Latinized" devotions to help "de-Russify" the influence that our "pro-Easterners" have had for obviously too long. They've lost their struggle with the "pro-Westerners" and are on their way out. Good riddance.

Alex

G
G
An initial Google search has found that several Melkite parishes in the USA celebrated the Feast of the Divine Body this year (2015) along with Exposition and Benediction of the Most Holy Eucharist. Here is a sampling:

1) Melkite typicon for the month of June that shows the Feast of the Divine Body listed [stjohnofthedesert.com]:

Thursday, June 4, 2015
Feast of the Divine Body

Orthros Gospel John 6:55-59 - Page 27 (English) – Page 33 (Arabic)
Liturgy of St. John Chrysostom
Antiphon Prayer (PLC p. 512)
O Christ God, who gave us your Flesh as true food and your Blood as true drink for our salvation,
sanctify us, enlighten us, make us your temples as we partake of your holy mysteries, so that we may
keep You in our hearts.
For You are our food and our life, O Christ God, and to You we render glory and to your Eternal
Father and your All-holy, Good and Life-giving Spirit, now and always and forever and ever.
Antiphons of the Divine Body, (BDW p. 912), (PLC p. 512), (ED p. 882)
Entrance Hymn “Extol the Lord our God and worship at his footstool for He is Holy. O Son of God,
Heavenly Bread, save us who sing to You: Alleluia!” (BDW p. 914), (PLC p. 514), (ED p. 883)
Hymns Troparion of the Divine Body, (Three times) (BDW p.909), (PLC p. 514), (ED p. 874)
Kondakion of the Divine Body, (BDW p. 909), (PLC p. 515), (ED p. 874)
Epistle 1 Cor 11:23-32, Page 94 (English) – Page 110 (Arabic)
Gospel John 6: 48-55, Page 25 (English) – Page 33 (Arabic)
Hymn to the Theotokos Hirmos of the 9th Ode, (BDW p. 914), (PLC p. 516), (ED p. 885)
Kinonikon of the Divine Body, (BDW p. 914), (PLC p. 516), (ED p. 885)
Post-communion hymn Troparion of the Divine Body, (BDW p.912), (PLC p. 514), (ED p. 874)
Apolysis “May Christ our true God who gave us His Body and Blood as real food and drink for our
salvation…”, (BDW p.914), (PLC p. 516), (ED p. 885)
The Leave-taking of the Feast of the Divine Body is on Thursday, June 11, 2015

2) Photo of the Eucharist exposed in a monstrance in front of the iconostasis at a Melkite parish [scontent-lax1-1.xx.fbcdn.net]

3) Close up photo. [scontent-lax1-1.xx.fbcdn.net]

4) A parish Facebook announcement of Divine Liturgy and Benediction. [facebook.com]

5) Melkite parish bulletin announcement [olocnh.org]

God bless our Melkite brothers and sisters!

Their Synod itself voted to receive this Feast and I believe they have done an excellent job of placing it within an "organically Byzantine" liturgical context.

Alex

Last edited by Orthodox Catholic; 06/08/15 09:28 AM.
G
G
Originally Posted by Fr. Deacon Lance
It would not look any different than the blessing with the Holy Gifts after Communion, except the Chalice may have a crowned lid, rather than a veil.

Here's an example: photo. [pkm.if.ua]

It's amusing that the Melkite Feast of the Divine Body retains its ranking with an octave, when the octave was abolished in the Latin Rite by Pope Pius XII in 1955.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  theophan 

Link Copied to Clipboard
The Byzantine Forum provides message boards for discussions focusing on Eastern Christianity (though discussions of other topics are welcome). The views expressed herein are those of the participants and may or may not reflect the teachings of the Byzantine Catholic or any other Church. The Byzantine Forum and the www.byzcath.org site exist to help build up the Church but are unofficial, have no connection with any Church entity, and should not be looked to as a source for official information for any Church. All posts become property of byzcath.org. Contents copyright - 1996-2024 (Forum 1998-2023). All rights reserved.