The Byzantine Forum
Newest Members
Annapolis Melkites, Daniel Hoseiny, PaulV, ungvar1900, Donna Zoll
5,993 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 330 guests, and 44 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Photos
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
by orthodoxsinner2, September 30
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
by Veronica.H, April 24
Byzantine Catholic Outreach of Iowa
Exterior of Holy Angels Byzantine Catholic Parish
Church of St Cyril of Turau & All Patron Saints of Belarus
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics35,393
Posts416,749
Members5,993
Most Online3,380
Dec 29th, 2019
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
OP Offline
Is it just me or does it truly appear that we no longer have the dynamic, even controversial discussions on various Eastern Christian matters that we once did?

IF this is true, why do you think this has happened? Am I myself part of the problem? (I'm a grown boy and can take criticism).

Alex

Alex:

Christ in our midst!!

No, you're not it. I've noticed the same thing. It seems that many of our Orthodox members have taken a sabbatical, as well as many of our regulars.

Maybe it's the mods--like me.

Bob

Maybe the Byzantine ones are busy prepping for the Mega-Synod of 2016! Just Kidding. Sometimes life gets in the way. I read here often but lately, hardly have time to do anything to unwind - like conversation with decent folks such as yourselves and most others on this forum.

I happened to be in the neighborhood and saw this thread. smile

I can only give my reasons for not participating here more often. In the past year or so....I feel that this forum has taken on a particularly anti-Russian feel. It makes me uncomfortable and tempts me to post things under a passion of anger. I have so many sins and passions that I struggle with everyday.....I figure it is better to not participate or even read some of the threads.

PS...You are a good mod, Bob. smile

Last edited by Recluse; 08/27/15 02:10 PM.
The forum has definitely slowed down. Discussion board Icons stay in the "no new" coloration for days on end.

Some of the slowdown may be my doing, or rather, not doing.

At one time I was eager to offer a window into the world of liturgical Lutheranism; now that I am Chrismated Orthodox that window is dimming as memory fades...and, frankly, I am finally beginning to heed the advice given me by an Abbess nearly a year ago: "Don't look back".

Backward glances were nothing but trouble for the freed slaves wandering in Sinai and fatal for Lot's wife.

The forum hasn't been very active for years. I have notice that about other fora I frequent as well. It could be interest has waned all across the board. (No pun intended)

OP Offline
Dear Recluse,

I join with you in decrying anti-Russian sentiment whenever it is expressed here!

Just can't believe there are people like that!

And I agree with you on your second point too that Bob is a great moderator!

Alex

Last edited by Orthodox Catholic; 08/27/15 10:38 PM.
OP Offline
Dear Bob,

You've given me another possible idea here.

Is it that some of us have already "done to death" a number of the East-West issues to the point that they aren't as interesting as before?

How many Filioque threads do we have here? As many as the hits on my "Prayers for me" thread on the prayer forum? grin

Quite possibly . . .

There are those who come here who are genuinely interested in learning something about the Eastern Churches. Then there is a smaller group that knows something about the related issues and who don't mind voicing their knowledge together with their opinions.

Sometimes a new thread by a "newbie" may seem puerile to a number of us who think "We've been through that here ten thousand times already . . ."

it could very well be that the Eastern "same old, same old" isn't as interesting as it was.

Perhaps we need to field some new "cutting edge" thematics. Perhaps members of this forum could be asked what THEY might like see discussed?

Over to you Bob!

Alex

The postings have been down for years; I think the participants have presented their gripes, opinions and their likes and have exhausted their talkativeness.

Many times people got intimidated by the high-level pieces by theologians and wannabe theologians. Defections have gone to Facebook pages like Byzantine Catholics, Orthodox in Communion with Rome and other spinoff sites where the conversations are informal or only consists of photos and memes, but you can also post videos. It's easy, convenient and the conversations are generally friendly and family-like. It offers a soapbox on current issues of which there is an endless stream. But it seems that even the facebook sites are beginning to peter out.

Alex alluded to a thread which specializes in new/interested Eastern Christians, or "newbies." I think that would be good if moderated by a patient teacher-type person.

In this fast-paced and high-tech culture we live in discussion threads have become "passe".

Deacon Paul

B
B
Granted, most things of interest have been discussed to death. Anyone interested can read old posts since there is nothing new to add.

It seems to me that every time anything controversial comes up, the predictable happens. Some of our posters with feelings on their sleeves - and you know who you are - get offended and over-react. Then the call for "charity" goes up to stifle discussion. Then we are back to things that can't offend anyone - blandness. Is it possible for adults to civilly disagree without the usual drama?

I had been away for a long time, simply because the forum thingy wouldn't let me in. Anyway, when I finally did get back, I noticed comments from many of the regulars about discussions, this group or that group being stifled, and no longer felt welcomed. Discussions, turned into heated words, it all got frustrating for them. Don't know how much this relates to your discussion.

I always loved the discussions. Sadly, years of medication to control me, has caused foggy head. However, I like reading the discussions which help recolection

M
M
Yes

The Christian East had been gently calling to me for most of my adult life, and I did not realize it.

When the call reached a crescendo upon attending my first Orthodox services--Holy Saturday Lamentations and Bright Monday Liturgy--I longtime tri-ritual Catholic Priest friend recommended that I explore this site and especially this forum.

There have been many helpful cyber conversations and many, many prayers offered for me and my family as we made the journey into Orthodoxy.

One of the unexpected delights was actually meeting a couple of Forum regulars in person, and not just once.

Looking back over my six plus years, the tone of the discussions has been mostly respectful, and I attribute that to active participation by the moderators. They have generally been able to take a low key approach, but can be stern when needed.

There are peaks and valleys. We'll come out of this valley in due season.

M
M
Oh! Oh! I posted a new thread on the post Christian Era and it is no where to be found! No wonder there isn' t any discussions. Oh well 🙈

Granted, most things of interest have been discussed to death. Anyone interested can read old posts since there is nothing new to add.

It seems to me that every time anything controversial comes up, the predictable happens. Some of our posters with feelings on their sleeves - and you know who you are - get offended and over-react. Then the call for "charity" goes up to stifle discussion. Then we are back to things that can't offend anyone - blandness. Is it possible for adults to civilly disagree without the usual drama?

I agree with Charles on all points...

There is so much going on in the world today, and also in our country that could be discussed, and which would not be the 'same old, same old', but either offense occurs, or folks just plain aren't interested.

Maybe it is because we don't have the diversity of ethnicity and religion that we once had to put their unique perspective (and humour) on topics--people like Father Serge Keleher, for instance, who was Ukrainian Catholic, was a born New Yorker, lived in Dublin, had visited Greece more than a few times, and had friendships with many different Orthodox! (may his memory be eternal).

Sometimes, however, I wonder if it is a general apathy and even anomosity towards any organized religion (most especially Christian) in our country that has somehow been absorbed into our pores a bit too? confused

Or maybe some of us who have been around for a decade or so are just getting older, and not ncecessarily wiser! LOL...

Alice

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Irish Melkite, theophan 

Link Copied to Clipboard
The Byzantine Forum provides message boards for discussions focusing on Eastern Christianity (though discussions of other topics are welcome). The views expressed herein are those of the participants and may or may not reflect the teachings of the Byzantine Catholic or any other Church. The Byzantine Forum and the www.byzcath.org site exist to help build up the Church but are unofficial, have no connection with any Church entity, and should not be looked to as a source for official information for any Church. All posts become property of byzcath.org. Contents copyright - 1996-2024 (Forum 1998-2023). All rights reserved.